Apple treating India as iPhone 4's dumping ground?

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Whats the big fuss. If somebody wants to buy something at a price that he/she deems fit, who are we to question that?

I hate the recent Apple, but that doesnt mean I'll criticise everything thats remotely related to Apple. If Apple pushes out old Iphones to India and people buy it without any qualms, thats their problem. Why get all worked up over it?

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
apple is not dumping em here, iphones enjoy longer production runs than their contemporaries
they are not old, my ipod touch 2nd gen still has a ton of apps, and is usable just fine even though im never gonna update the os or the apps in it, don't see why it will ever stop being fantastic
friend picked up 16gb 2nd hand 4 from olx for 15k and is extremely happy with it
brand new should be between 24k to 26k

amjath

Human Spambot
iphone 4 will get fragmented support next year. Dont tell me 3GS and iphone 4 is getting ios 6 now, they get ios 6 without all these

1. Turn-by-turn navigation is available only on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad 2 or later, and iPad mini with cellular data capability. Flyover is available only on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad 2 or later, iPad mini, and iPod touch (5th generation). Cellular data charges may apply.
2. Siri is available in Beta only on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad with Retina display, iPad mini, and iPod touch (5th generation) and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply.
3. FaceTime video calling requires a FaceTime-enabled device for the caller and recipient and a Wi-Fi connection. FaceTime over a cellular network requires iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad with Retina display, or iPad mini with cellular data capability. Availability over a cellular network depends on carrier policies; data charges may apply.
4. Offline Reading List is available on iPhone 4 or later, iPad 2 or later, iPad mini, and iPod touch (5th generation). [except this]
5. Made for iPhone hearing aids require iPhone 4S or iPhone 5.
6. Panorama is available on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, and iPod touch (5th generation).

and Apple fanboys calls Android has fragmentation BS

roady

Digital Marketer
Just because Apple didn't plan to treat India as one of the primary markets for any of its products earlier doesn't mean we'll go on hating each and every bit of Apple even today.

After asking a ton of my friends about Apple, this is one of the primary reason why they hate Apple. At times I have asked them - Have you used an iDevice ever?

Those who said no, still hated iPhone saying it sucsk and we can get better quality phones with Android.

That's the sad mentality here in India. Anyway, I have to agree with Anorion that iPhone 4 is still better than other 15k-22k phones here in India.
I use android but the only reason I dislike about android is the updates. There is no uniformity about that and it just feels as if Samsung decided to produce any kind of smartphone just to enter all the segments. --> NOW this is what I treat as cheap dirt. Dumping ground.

Then there are people saying that India is a dumping ground for iPhone 4 just because Apple is coming out with 5s and so it's likely to stop iPhone 4 production? Really? Do you guys work at Apple or what? It's just plain retarded to just speaking your ego out all the time.

I'm pretty neutral when it comes to ANdroid and iOS.. although I'll give more priority to iPhone cause I love art and that is one beauty.
I'm a techie and I love open source. But hey, that doesn't mean I'll hate iOS just for the heck of it?

ALso, I have a rooted android with a custom ROM. Which means Android was not able to deliver a lot despite being "really great". There is a reason why jailbreak came to life. And I'd Jailbreak iPhone too cause I love customizations and adding other stuff. (Sorry if this is not promoted on forum, don't mean to share anything illegal)

So people need to get off the notion that for Apple to win, Android has to lose. :)

Also, To each his own.

amjath

Human Spambot
^ China is getting better, Apple is liking China much. Apple is desperate to lift the ban and release its latest products over there. So onlt India is left behind

Didn't you guys know iPhone 4 was released 6 months later from the international release unlike iPhone 5

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
the market, from apple's pov, is not the device, but the constant stream of revenue from store cut on the content.
cant see the point of the device without the content.

anyone seen the sheer number of chinese content on the store? even downloaded and played a few chinese games without understanding any of the text. we don't have nearly enough local or regional content, hanuman chalisa is there, but that is about it.
these are some of the reasons apple does not consider india as a focus for their operations.

dumping would be selling the 3GS only in India when it is not being sold anywhere else, or selling the 4 when it is not sold in US. but it is still being sold in the US, so this whole story is tosh.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Just because Apple didn't plan to treat India as one of the primary markets for any of its products earlier doesn't mean we'll go on hating each and every bit of Apple even today.

Uh.. yeah! That is the only reason why Indians hate Apple. A price which is more than people's monthly salaries is too much for a "3 year old device". When Steve Jobs can hate India , why can't Indians hate his work?

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Uh.. yeah! That is the only reason why Indians hate Apple. A price which is more than people's monthly salaries is too much for a "3 year old device". When Steve Jobs can hate India , why can't Indians hate his work?

Of course everyone is free to hate everyone else. But not to propagate opinions as facts. A lot of people haven't ever used these idevices and still have a strong bias against them, that's just plain stupid. You ask them to give a reason and all you hear is pricey (not apple's fault if you cant buy it), closed source (says a guy with a 5k micromax).

On the other hand if you say you dont like the looks/OS, you cant afford it, you consider them too controlling of your experience then I can consider it a valid reason for you to dislike apple products, but to blindly fuel Apple-hatred like some I see is just downright idiotic. Never confuse not liking something with hating it.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
@amjath Well the things you copy pasted are rather lame.
1)Voice navigation may not be available but I have done navigation on my 2 year old iOS device.

2)Tell me ONE voice assistant which is inbuilt into a mobile phone OS and doesn't need internet access?

3) About you crying about facetime; why not install Skype and interact with any person on any platform?

4) Panorama can be had on any iOS device. There are plenty of apps available.

5) About Siri having restrictions etc; well I did use Siri and while not perfect it did work.
Even Google voice is not perfect.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Of course everyone is free to hate everyone else. But not to propagate opinions as facts. A lot of people haven't ever used these idevices and still have a strong bias against them, that's just plain stupid. You ask them to give a reason and all you hear is pricey (not apple's fault if you cant buy it), closed source (says a guy with a 5k micromax).

On the other hand if you say you dont like the looks/OS, you cant afford it, you consider them too controlling of your experience then I can consider it a valid reason for you to dislike apple products, but to blindly fuel Apple-hatred like some I see is just downright idiotic. Never confuse not liking something with hating it.

I may be wrong when I said "That is the only reason why Indians hate Apple". I take that back. There are some reasonable haters like the points you mentioned above.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
@amjath Well the things you copy pasted are rather lame.
1)Voice navigation may not be available but I have done navigation on my 2 year old iOS device.

2)Tell me ONE voice assistant which is inbuilt into a mobile phone OS and doesn't need internet access?

3) About you crying about facetime; why not install Skype and interact with any person on any platform?

4) Panorama can be had on any iOS device. There are plenty of apps available.

5) About Siri having restrictions etc; well I did use Siri and while not perfect it did work.
Even Google voice is not perfect.

His points are still valid. You offer alternative means of achieving similar results but none of your points seem to refute what amjath has pointed out (assuming they are all true).

I may be wrong when I said "That is the only reason why Indians hate Apple". I take that back. There are some reasonable haters like the points you mentioned above.

Yes, we all have love-hate for various things. Its the reasoning that need ts to be proper before one can claim something substantial :)

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
His points are still valid. You offer alternative means of achieving similar results but none of your points seem to refute what amjath has pointed out (assuming they are all true).

Point 1 pretty much is not valid as he is expecting new features on devices older than two years.
Google Maps already gives this to all.

Point 2 laments about Internet access by Voice assistant; then again there isn't any assistant thats inbuilt to an OS that doesn't need the same.

Point 3 is baseless in the sense its lamenting just like a facebook user cant chat with a GTalk user(without a FB account) directly.

Point 4: he disagrees.

Point 5: Again I'm not sure which very old smartphone already had this.

Point 6: Its wrong. He meant Panaroma is not inbuilt. There are many apps available.

Haters gonna hate.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
haha which 4 year old droid got even that much

too much pressure on apple, expecting to deliver a front camera over a software update

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^not features, apps. but good for them, buying a phone every year, and thinking it is a dump if a phone lasts 4 years.
leave ios users in peace, why do you have to gloat over their inferior devices?

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
^Who cares, most droids have all those features at almost half the price

My dads Optimus Net which costs half of a 3Gs at the time which he bought it feels like half a phone.
Android is crapped and bugged. Memory is not freed if I delete apps and there is some auto redial bug(even ajayritik has it)

The only major plus point is that the phone is dual sim.

Not to mention the phone is still running Android 2.3.4 which is rather ancient now thanks to lack of updates.

Top Bottom