Apple to copy Windows DRM

Status
Not open for further replies.

soumya

In the zone
WGA was so popular Jobs' Mob wants it

Apple has decided that Microsoft's Windows Genuine Advantage is so wonderful that it is trying to patent something similar.

Apple have been doing wonderful things this year to really miff its loyal fan base and it seems it wanted to close the year by nicking the thing that annoys even the most loyal Microsoft user.

The outfit has updated the patent application it calls "Run-time Code Injection to Perform Checks".

This patent tells the story of how Apple boffins invented the idea of a digital rights management system that could restrict use of an application to specific hardware platforms.

Apparently, the software phones home for an authenticity check.

If the software is pirated then Jobs Mob shall deem the software unworthy in its sight and make it unusable.

Currently, Apple does not dabble in the area of DRM-style security and would be well advised to stay away from it. After all WGA is one of the main reasons that people have stayed away from Vista.

It seems that Apple has been concentrating on its Iphone and Ipod gadgets so much that it has failed to notice that Microsoft got prior art on DRM that stuffs up the operating system and annoys the user.

Source: *www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/24/apple-copy-windows-drm

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
I'll say, It's a good news. Hackintosh or OS X on non Apple hardware users need to worry.

Most Mac users have no problems. All Macs ship with OS X Leopard and the DVD of OS X. Why would we bother?

goobimama

 Macboy
First of all how is this even going to be possible? Mac OS X as we know it comes with ABSOLUTELY no form of copy protection, or serial key, or activation. How is it going to find out of the copy is original or not?

I guess the only guys who have to worry about is Hackintosh. But even then, the hackers are a crazy bunch of people and will most definitely come up with a solution within days...

Still, I hope this stuff doesn't come to light...

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
goobimama said:
First of all how is this even going to be possible? Mac OS X as we know it comes with ABSOLUTELY no form of copy protection, or serial key, or activation. How is it going to find out of the copy is original or not?
Absolutely right,and besides leopard is so damn cheap,129$ for a single copy and 199$ for a family pack 5 copies I guess.

I guess the only guys who have to worry about is Hackintosh. But even then, the hackers are a crazy bunch of people and will most definitely come up with a solution within days...
Right but why invest money and energy in something which will be cracked within hours by the 'elites'.Apple can't be that stupid.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Agree with infra, I got my doubts about it too, is Apple planning on releasing OS X to other hardware? Certainly they can't be serious about this, only to beat a bunch of hackers.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
Dude they're patenting a "WGA Like Technique" not copying off the exact codebase , so no relation whatsoever to how easy it will be to hack .

Zeeshan Quireshi said:
Dude they're patenting a "WGA Like Technique" not copying off the exact codebase , so no relation whatsoever to how easy it will be to hack .
the theoritical way the hack will be made is still the same.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
no matter what they do(or don't do),the hackers\crackers will do what they do the best.Spending time and money in any such technology is foolishness.

Voldy

The Dark lord
Thank god that they would patenting these technology only for iphone and ipod and they know the consequences of switching these DRM technolgies to the OS (MS ruined his OS like that :D )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom