Apple iPhone released

Status
Not open for further replies.

hailgautam

Youngling
On the older before the N Series you definitely had to use the 3rd applications to fully use the phone. that is because though the phone is capable, the applications bundled with the phone are quite inadequate. But now a days bundled applications are good enough and there is no requirement of 3rd party applications

goobimama

 Macboy
I love the fact that apple is going to use their very own software in the phone. It is very much like how they make their own machines and don't allow assembled systems to run Mac OS X. Apple wants this phone/ipod to be a class apart, and it will be that way if and only if they keep third party software out of the game.

Grapes are not sour. In fact, they are my favourite fruit.

OP
G

gxsaurav

arya said:
The news that you cannot install your own applications is only mentioned on TUAW and they asked a security guard about it. There is no authenticity or confirmation of the 'rumour'......

Atleast u agree to this. But i m talking from what is known today. There is no mention from Apple weather this phone supports 3rd party applications or Java based apps, so it does not support this feature

arya said:
And since it can be synced with a PC too, it will most probably allow you to sync with Outlook too.

Again, talk on what is known today, Apple might do this, iPhone might do that does not proves anything. Syncing with PC for E-Mail, contacts, PIM, is an essential part of such PDA or Smartphones, something where Outlook & Exchange server prevails. Apple has no mention of it & no PIM manager of their own, so again it won't be wrong to say it doesn't support this feature

arya said:
And the iPhone is an all-in-one device, something other phones cannot boast of

Lets compare with W810i

FM - W810i wins
Camera - W810i wins so far, not sure about the quality of cam in iPhone, but so far it is known that it lacks a Flash or autofocus
Call & SMS = both
iPod & iTunes - Obviously iPhone cos it's from apple
Music Playback - Both
Video playback - Both, but iPhone excels due to big screen.
Keypad - W810i wins so far

so, u were saying something, what other phones cannot boast of.......?.

Again, why are u going into personal comments? Did i said anything about macboys? & by the way, first u said, stylus is not innovative, now u r supporting it, would u like to mention your source from where u got this info that a stylus can be used with iPhone. Plz base your statement on the info available today..

arya said:
First you said that other phones have photo management applications too. Then, when I said that they don't (and you couldn't find a comparable example), you dismissed it saying that you don't care. Yeah, I can see you are talking a lot of sense! And even after having seen all the new features, you keep saying "there is nothing new". What do you want! You want it to make tea - or clean your bathroom for you!

Read again, I said i do not use, & there is no Photo Management in my K750i, i never said, phones do not have photo management. Andy watch your words plz.

Symbian & Smrtphones already have Photo Galary (nokia) Ulead Apps (Symbian & Windows Mobile) from a long time. Again apple doesn't not bring anything revolutionary

arya said:
However, I expect Apple will release versions of the iPhone in lower price brackets in the future too and they won't have a headset bundled with them

Apple might do this, Apple will do this....tell me when it does. I M speaking with the features mentioned by Apple today, not what they "might" do in the future

arya said:
How many times do you need to replace a phone's battery during its lifetime?

Depends on how u use it, some last for 2 years some 3

andy said:
Camera on phones are a bad idea. Unless phones get optical zoom, even a 5 MP camera is waste on a phone

lolz.....:D, u really make me laugh, u r the first guy who is going against convergence. If they are bad idea, then why did Almighty Apple gave one in iPhone

@ hailgautam

Like i said before, u were able to use your phone with fingers & u were not concerned about the screen getting dirty, but others are, isn't it?

About why do we need to install apps on a Mobile when it does everything. Well, go talk to the symbian, Linux (on phone) & Windows Mobile users out there. The bundled apps are not always good. U might not need them, others do....even i don't install apps on my K750i but i do want an option to install them when required

Example- Windows Mobile cannot play rm files as such. But u can install Real player on it to play rm files. Now tell me, is having a ability to install an app wrong now?

andy said:
Well, cameras on phones do not, and I repeat, do not have optical zoom. That means the picture quality is really bad.

A very good example, my Bike (ya ya self flaunt :D) Taken from K750i. I can show u a lot of real life photos of me & my friends & then tell me weather it is "really bad" I wonder which phones did u used to take photos from? The ydo have bad quality compard to digicams, but the way u r saying sounds like they have useless quality

*img373.imageshack.us/img373/6985/bikeqo1.th.jpg

My Sir's scorpio

*img382.imageshack.us/img382/1498/thecarlj1.th.jpg

Like i said before, & sticking to it. iPhone will prevail as a Portable media player or an iPod, but not a Phone. When 2nd or 3rd generation iphones relese, we will have better phones from Nokia, Sony etc already

Something i found

10 things to hate about iPhone

10 things to love about iPhone

iPhone is incapable of syncing via Wi-Fi or bluetooth

Last edited by a moderator:

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
gxsaurav said:
A very good example, my Bike (ya ya self flaunt :D) Taken from K750i. I can show u a lot of real life photos of me & my friends & then tell me weather it is "really bad" I wonder which phones did u used to take photos from? The ydo have bad quality compard to digicams, but the way u r saying sounds like they have useless quality

*img373.imageshack.us/img373/6985/bikeqo1.th.jpg

My Sir's scorpio

*img382.imageshack.us/img382/1498/thecarlj1.th.jpg

Like i said before, & sticking to it. iPhone will prevail as a Portable media player or an iPod, but not a Phone. When 2nd or 3rd generation iphones relese, we will have better phones from Nokia, Sony etc already

Are those pics nice? Yes, if you open your eyes and read without prejudice and hate, I said that SE has the best phone cameras. But, any 3k camera will beat the quality of your SE cam, and comfortably so. Seriously, do you even read posts, or just keep on writing in bad English just to prove that you know something? Just ask any person who has a decent knowledge of photography. That quality is awful.

Even if Apple did incorporate a camera into the phone, I'd like to check out the quality before commenting. But, I'm against incorporating cameras in phones.

For the record, that's probably the worst bike money can buy.

ooops. by mistake i added my quote in your post Gx. I am extremely sorry. Will you please re-post what you said. I am sorry again. I thought I was editing my post.
& by the way, first u said, stylus is not innovative, now u r supporting it, would u like to mention your source from where u got this info that a stylus can be used with iPhone. Plz base your statement on the info available today..

Any pointing device that can physically touch the surface of a touchscreen iPhone will work with it. Now, this can be a pencil, a stylus, a pen, a painting brush upside down. Anything.

It doesn't take rocket science studies to figure tht out.

Last edited:
OP
G

gxsaurav

ya, those pics are not the best. But what i said about u is hating convergence. Would u rather prefer taking a Kodak Camera & a phone & an iPod with u, or something all in one. Even u & arya have been touting iPhone as the first device to bring all these as All-in-One

andy said:
Any pointing device that can physically touch the surface of a touchscreen iPhone will work with it. Now, this can be a pencil, a stylus, a pen, a painting brush upside down. Anything

Obviously, like i said before, there is always a jugard.

and about my bike......ab war ho jayegi between us :D. Won't bring that into account.

& what the hell.....whose gonna write all that again, u deleted all the points i mentioned showing shortcomings of arya's post. Better wear spects from next time andy

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
gxsaurav said:
Atleast u agree to this. But i m talking from what is known today. There is no mention from Apple weather this phone supports 3rd party applications or Java based apps, so it does not support this feature
gxsaurav said:
Again, talk on what is known today, Apple might do this, iPhone might do that does not proves anything. Syncing with PC for E-Mail, contacts, PIM, is an essential part of such PDA or Smartphones, something where Outlook & Exchange server prevails. Apple has no mention of it & no PIM manager of their own, so again it won't be wrong to say it doesn't support this feature
Oh, great logic! I can see that you are sticking to talking about 'what is (un)known today'. Are you sure you are not a bot? If Apple has not mentioned anything about the feature, we cannot assume that it might be there in the phone, but we can immediately assume that it is absent and won't be there in the final version. LOL!
Know what? They even did not mention anything about whether the phone can be charged or not. I guess that is another drawback then. :lol:

gxsaurav said:
Lets compare with W810i

FM - W810i wins
Camera - W810i wins so far, not sure about the quality of cam in iPhone, but so far it is known that it lacks a Flash or autofocus (It does not have a 3.5-inch 16m viewfinder though.)
Call & SMS = both (Yeah, typing out a text message using a numeric keypad is as easy as doing it with a QWERTY keyboard!)
iPod & iTunes - Obviously iPhone cos it's from apple
Music Playback - Both (LOL!)
Video playback - Both, but iPhone excels due to big screen.
Keypad - W810i wins so far (And the only reason seems to be that YOU do not like the keypad, which - pardon me - is no valid reason.)

so, u were saying something, what other phones cannot boast of.......?.
OK, you want to do it this way. Let's do it:
Internet - iPhone
Mail - iPhone
GPS - iPhone
Interface - iPhone
Operating system - iPhone
Wi-Fi - iPhone
Looks - iPhone
Etc., etc., etc. - iPhone
Packaging - iPhone
Company - iPhone
Announcement style - iPhone
Coolness factor - iPhone
CEO - iPhone
Even for the features you mentioned, the Apple iPhone trumps the Sony Ericsson W810i WALKMAN PHONE is every regard except for the inclusion of FM Radio. Does it feel really good to be pwned! Didn't you get that foreboding feeling that what you were posting was crap when you were posting it? Have your instincts gone on a leave?
(BTW, the points after 'Etc., etc., etc.' are just added for fun. Don't start slamming me using them as an excuse.)

gxsaurav said:
Symbian & Smrtphones already have Photo Galary (nokia) Ulead Apps (Symbian & Windows Mobile) from a long time. Again apple doesn't not bring anything revolutionary
I have seen the ULead products. It is not a photo management application but a photo editing application and it is crap at even that job. You can basically just add some elements such as moustaches, etc., or change the brightness and contrast levels, add the sepia effect, etc. Nothing much. And to top that off, there is one bonus effect that is added to every photograph you edit by default - the 'Grain' effect. Try editing any photograph in ULead's mobile photo-editing application and then see it on a PC. It becomes very grainy. And anyway, nothing even comes close to iPhoto.

gxsaurav said:
Like i said before, u were able to use your phone with fingers & u were not concerned about the screen getting dirty, but others are, isn't it?
He mentioned a very valid point. Screens are supposed to get abused and scratched and they always will. I have a Sony Ericsson W550i and the screen is scratched like hell, even though I take care of it like a baby. And the iPhone has a finger-print resistant screen. This is another thing that will become obvious only after you use the device. So, I would advise you to follow what you yourself are posting and 'talk on what is known today'.

@mail2and, I am 90% sure you cannot operate the iPhone with anything apart from your fingers. The 'Multi-Touch' technology sounds awfully similar to the trackpad on Apple laptops and I know it for a fact that it does not work when used with anything apart from human fingers. This is the reason it ignores accidental touches and recognises two fingers. As you already know, the iPhone touchscreen shares these features, so I think it might have been designed in a way that it recognises only human touch. How else will it distinguish between intentional and accidental touches?

Last edited:
OP
K

krazyfrog

^^ And so the battle begins again. And this time over a little phone.
Anyways a very cool looking design and concept by Apple, this iPhone. But if i'd that kinda money, i'd rather go for N95. Makes more sense to me.

gdatuk

Ambassador of Buzz
what about the battery? is it not replacable like in ipod?

how does it charge? via usb?

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
gdatuk said:
what about the battery? is it not replacable like in ipod?

how does it charge? via usb?
Yes, the battery is not user-replaceable, like the iPod. It comes with a standard electronic charger as well as an iPod dock. You can use any of them to charge.

It is now official that the iPhone won't allow third-party applications. This simply sucks and is a huge drawback of the device IMHO. Make no mistake, it still remains a very advanced and top-of-the-line handset, and is probably the best phone till date in the industry - but it has some serious drawbacks too and this one is the most major.

However, it excels at the three major tasks it handles: Calls, multimedia and internet.

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
aryayush said:
@mail2and, I am 90% sure you cannot operate the iPhone with anything apart from your fingers. The 'Multi-Touch' technology sounds awfully similar to the trackpad on Apple laptops and I know it for a fact that it does not work when used with anything apart from human fingers. This is the reason it ignores accidental touches and recognises two fingers. As you already know, the iPhone touchscreen shares these features, so I think it might have been designed in a way that it recognises only human touch. How else will it distinguish between intentional and accidental touches?

Well said Aryayush.

Early stage laptops had mouse included. Once the trackpad was successful, they eliminated mouse from laptop's. Not just one company every one. Do we cry that mouse is not included with the laptops. We started using the trackpad and are used to it. I pity those who cannot, they still have to carry that mouse with the laptop.

Think the same way. Why do we need a stylus when there is much better alternative.

Typing: Apple gave full fledged qwerty keypad with the iphone. Instead of typing with hands on those hardware keys that non-touch screen based phones have, type on the screen and since it's qwerty and the keys are bigger, it's easier.

Who knows, tomorrow everyone might follow this technique and stop manufacturing stylus at all. All of them.

See the future not the past
First I thought not to buy this phone due to it's high price but now after seeing the complete Steve Jobs keynote, the features in there. I shall go for it, . I will then be the proud owner of the device that sparked a new ear in mobile phones, like the mac in 84, like the ipod in 2k1.

Last edited:
OP
G

gxsaurav

arya said:
If Apple has not mentioned anything about the feature, we cannot assume that it might be there in the phone, but we can immediately assume that it is absent and won't be there in the final version

Read again, I never mentioned or said anything regarding what might be there in the future. I said again & again, that my posts are based on what is known today. What might happen in the future is not my concern; anything can happen in the future

Regarding your comparison of W810 & IpHone, first I just compared the phone features. If I was to assume the price difference, then I would have compared iPhone with P990i

arya said:
However, it excels at the three major tasks it handles: Calls, multimedia and internet

Multimedia = Yes, even I agree to that. As a PMP it will excel, but as a phone it will not
Internet = Yahoo Push mail only, what about push mail service with server side compression for Gmail, AOL, MSN? What about 3g? No way is it going to excel as an internet device in those countries. Without 3G it cannot be in Europe
Call = Already mentioned, no one knows about the sound quality, how good the touch pad is for typing text yet. Don't assume

indyan said:
Cisco Sues apple

So much for Andy's line

andy said:
Don't you think a $65 billion company has enough legal brains to think of that?

Right now, iPhone has serious flaws. What apple might add in the future should not be used to assume it excels. What apple might do in the future, is already possible today with other phones.

It is now known that it won't allow 3rd party application installation, so we can no longer compare it with PDA or Smartphone. Well.....then I don't think the cost of $499 justified anymore

Last edited by a moderator:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
gxsaurav said:
Read again, i never mentioned or said anything regarding what might be there in the future. I said again & again, that my posts are based on what is known today. What might happen in the future is not my concern, anything can happen in the future
Then why did you blatantly assume that it will not sync with Outlook on a PC and therefore, is incompetent in the email department.

gxsaurav said:
Regarding your comparision of W810 & IpHone, first i just compared the phone features. If i was to assume the price difference, then i would have compared iPhone with P990i
Do so. Let us know the results.
BTW, since when have FM, Camera, iPod & iTunes, Music Playback and Video Playback been phone features? And if they are included in the list of phone features, why should Internet, Mail, GPS, Interface, Operating system, Wi-Fi and Looks be excluded?

Cisco sues Apple. Yeah, even you can sue Apple. Let us see who gets the iPhone trademark. I am pretty darn sure the device that will be launched six months from now will be called the Apple iPhone, irrespective of any lawsuits.

OP
G

gxsaurav

iPhone doesn't sync with Outlook, Lotus Noted today. It might with iPhone 2G, but then again, i m talking about from what is known today. Today it fails

arya said:
Cisco sues Apple. Yeah, even you can sue Apple. Let us see who gets the iPhone trademark

Lolz....go read the pages out there. Cisco had this treadmark from year 2000, long before even iPod came. They have all the correct rights to sue Apple. They were even trying to negotiate with Apple, which acted arrogently & ignorent, & relesed iPhone without any settlement or agreement. This is the first line i said when i started this topic here

The P990i & iPhone can no longer be compared now, cos it is now knows, iphone is not a Porfessional smartphone or PDA, which P990i

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I know that Cisco holds the trademark. All I am saying is that the device will be lauched as the Apple iPhone, whether the name is trademarked or not.

gxsaurav said:
The P990i & iPhone can no longer be compared now, cos...
... I know that it will lose anyway and God forbid I'll ever say a positive word about anything related to Apple!

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
gxsaurav said:
Lolz....go read the pages out there. Cisco had this treadmark from year 2000, long before even iPod came.

Since your source of info is Neowin, I'm not surprised you didn't know much about the trademark. I can understand what happens to a person, who takes points posted by 12 year old kids in Neowin and posts here. I can understand.

For the full details on how Cisco acquired the company, which had registered the trademark in 1996, visit this site. *www.centernetworks.com/ciscos-full-filed-complaint-claim-v-apple

A very good suggestion to you: Stop visiting Neowin BPN and plagiarizing the posts of 12 year old kids. That's extremely sad.

OP
G

gxsaurav

mail2and said:
For the full details on how Cisco acquired the company, which had registered the trademark in 1996, visit this site. *www.centernetworks.com/ciscos-full-filed-complaint-claim-v-apple

Yup Cisco ACquired Infogear, & also acquired their trademark. It's their property, what new r u saying here? What wrong are they doing by suing Apple

Taken from Dailytech

Apple iPhone = iPWNED?

I have to leave for now, no point posting about P990i & iPhone. P990i is a smartphone PDA, iPhone is PMP with phone....they do not match from anywhere

About 12 years old kids at neowin, aren't u a member there too?

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
The real competitor for iphone should be LG KE850.

Take a look at the phone and you will accept.
*forum2.mobile-review.com/showthread.php?t=58397

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom