Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
G

gxsaurav

MS is already in the market in the form of Windows Mobile mav3

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
im waiting for a fone under the zune brand which ballmer has said will be coming some time .... and i agree with andy tht competing the touch screen will be difficult but u never know ....

and i think other than palm its gonna beat the living hell out of the p990i

The 4GB iPhone will go out the door in the US as a Cingular exclusive for $499 on a two-year contract, 8GB for $599. Ships Stateside in June, Europe in fourth quarter, Asia in 2008. :lol:

*www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/the-apple-iphone/

OP
G

gxsaurav

mail2and said:
If they implement stylus pen touchscreen, then it would lack innovation..

In what sence? finding 101 way to mess up the phone with your fingers:confused:

Here is a scenario today

me in mcdonalds having a burger, i get a call, i take out my K750i & take the call. The keypad is plastic & since my hands are dirty with sause & anything like that, only the keypad gets dirty & i can wipe it easily with hanky or not wipe it at all, it's a plastic keypad anyway

Here is a scenario after july 2007

me in mcdonalds having a buger, a phone comes, & i m using iPhone. I take out the phone, now, how to touch it? Tomato ketchup on the screen....ya right

@mav3
Zune brand phone...hmm.....how the hell u found about about the next concept device i m making :D. Called XBOX Groove

OP
G

gxsaurav

it's saurav, & no, i m happy with my K750i does everything i want, in a small package

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^^ tht wud be a hyperbole

Official specifications:
Screen size: 3.5-inches
Screen resolution: 320 by 480 at 160 ppi
Input method: Multi-touch
Operating System: OS X
Storage: 4GB or 8GB
GSM: Quad-band (MHz: 850, 900, 1800, 1900)
Wireless data: Wi-Fi (802.11b/g) + EDGE + Bluetooth 2.0
Camera: 2.0 megapixels
Battery: Up to 5 hours Talk / Video / Browsing; Up to 16 hours Audio playback
Dimensions: 4.5 x 2.4 x 0.46 inches / 115 x 61 x 11.6mm
Weight: 4.8 ounces / 135 grams
The iPhone will begin shipping in June of this year.

*images.dailytech.com/nimage/3549_iphone2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
G

gxsaurav

shekhar u r right about the hardware, but iphone is just looks from what we are seeing. Better save your remarks till u use it as a phone

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
gxsaurav said:
In what sence? finding 101 way to mess up the phone with your fingers:confused:

Here is a scenario today

me in mcdonalds having a burger, i get a call, i take out my K750i & take the call. The keypad is plastic & since my hands are dirty with sause & anything like that, only the keypad gets dirty & i can wipe it easily with hanky or not wipe it at all, it's a plastic keypad anyway

Here is a scenario after july 2007

me in mcdonalds having a buger, a phone comes, & i m using iPhone. I take out the phone, now, how to touch it? Tomato ketchup on the screen....ya right

@mav3
Zune brand phone...hmm.....how the hell u found about about the next concept device i m making :D. Called XBOX Groove
First of all, McDonald's have napkins and only allow civilised people into their premises!
Second, if you do not mind dirtying the keypad, you shouldn't mind dirtying the screen too.

gxsaurav said:
abe, 30K Ke phone ki M B eik nahi karni.....
Third, the phone is priced at $499 (the 4GB version). How does that equate to 30K?

gxsaurav said:
But what the hell is MacOS X doing there, didn't they learn anything from Symbian OS (slowness etc). Frimware based OS (sony, Motorola) are the best to go.
Fourth, there is a difference between an operating system made by Apple and those made by other companies. The phone has Mac OS X and it runs amazingly fast on my MacBook Pro. I don't have any reason to believe that it will lag on the phone. The phone allows you to install actual desktop applications onto it. It is a first.

gxsaurav said:
The reason a stylus is used in Mobile phones or PDA is to prevent the screen from smudge & damages etc, Apple has touted a "a magic patented interface", but does it have a patented magic anti-fingerprint and smudge interface? Well, fingers are good, they are easily available (pun intended)...but comon, u can't write with a finger, or better yet, draw. It has MacOS X, so atleast i expect a paint like application there, the biggest feature of such touchscreen phones, & that too with out a pen(stylus) . U gotta be kidding me, there is not even an option for stylus so far.
Fifth, it has a fingerprint resistant screen surface so put a rest to the nagging about lacking a stylus.

Sixth, you say that it has nothing new?! Well, I can see hordes of new features: iPod, 3.5-inch widescreen display, iTunes syncing, Cover Flow, one touch calling, visual voicemail, intelligent/predictive QWERTY soft keyboard, photo management application, HTML email client, support for POP3 and IMAP, GPS, widgets, multi-touch, OS X, true desktop-class applications, wireless (quad-band GSM, EDGE, 802.11b/g Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 2.0 with EDR), bluetooth headset and built-in Advanced Sensors (accelerometer, proximity sensor and ambient light sensor). And I have not included the features that are common on other phones too.

gxsaurav said:
SMS looks more like Chat. Well...donno whats the use of this feature, some might like it.
Seventh, you don't find SMS useful? Are you normal!

gxsaurav said:
Right, re-invented, apple just won't miss a chance to say it again & again. I guess i have these features from what, 2 years already in my K750i, or K700i/k500i before that. Comon....the most lame thing about Apple is their marketing
Eighth, Do they have more than any five of the features I mentioned above? And yeah, Apple is very bad at marketing, which is why a product that they announced in San Francisco, will ship in June, hasn't even been approved yet and will reach Asia in 2008 - makes people sitting in India take notice and post on an online forum about it at 2 o' clock in the night. Yeah, they sure don't know how to market a product. Leave aside the fact that the iPod has more than seventy percent market-share, tops every bestseller list, ITMS sells 6 songs per second and people are literally drooling over the iPhone. LOL! :lol: ::sarcasm alert::

gxsaurav said:
$499 & $599 , i would rather prefer a P910i with a real stylus & writing abilty which costs less then this.
Ninth, In case you have failed to notice, no one cares for your preference!

gxsaurav said:
Google Maps is just a website based service which can be accessed on any Nokia Communicator or Sony P Series too
Tenth, Yes, but it not integrated with them and does not serve the purpose of a GPS device.

If you haven't noticed, every sane person on Earth is thrilled about the iPhone. Tell me one thing, what do you want in a phone that the iPhone lacks! I can only point to 3G.

Till now, I had always considered you as a person who does not like a Mac because he hasn't used it and is very jealous of those who have the privilege. But now it is confirmed that you are a blind hater of Apple and logic and reasoning play no part in contributing to the emotion. I pity you!

anispace

dattebayo
gxsaurav said:
shekhar u r right about the hardware, but iphone is just looks from what we are seeing. Better save your remarks till u use it as a phone

arre man saurav stop complaining. just take a look at this site if u havnt already>>*www.apple.com/iphone/

The iPhone has MACOSX which means its a mini tablet PC+iPOD+digicam(ok the 2MP camera might not be that good) and above all a cell phone all for $499 which i think is a good deal since even the higher end Nokia Nseries phones are priced in the same range.

as regards to being a cell phone it might not be that good but why complain when ur gettin so many features not to mention the drop dead gorgeous looks.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
though i loved the iphone i disagree with arya at some points
aryayush said:
Second, if you do not mind dirtying the keypad, you shouldn't mind dirtying the screen too.
tht wud be a dumb statement keypad and screen has a difference and every cell fone user treats the screen with more care than the keypad
aryayush said:
Third, the phone is priced at $499 (the 4GB version). How does that equate to 30K?
the ipod officialy costs 249$ for the vdo model but for some reason it costs 16k at an authorised apple reseller (ara there are taxes to be paid)

aryayush said:
Fifth, it has a fingerprint resistant screen surface so put a rest to the nagging about lacking a stylus.
fingerprint on screen is not the only reason for a stylus .... the fingers are thick and wide and the stylus is thin and pointed so using the device is better coz many a times as saurav pointd out earlier 2 keys at the same time are pressed or other keys are pressed .... here u will drag the apple's predictive text capability into the conversation but more often than not predictive input doesnt help coz wat u wanna type cannot be predicted as it is not in the memory

aryayush said:
If you haven't noticed, every sane person on Earth is thrilled about the iPhone. Tell me one thing, what do you want in a phone that the iPhone lacks!
again that wud b a hyperbole .... though it is a good device i wudnt crown it the best

aryayush said:
it is confirmed that you are a blind hater of Apple and logic and reasoning play no part in contributing to the emotion.
i disagree with u here also ... saurav has pointed out a few good shortcomings of the iphone .... arya i wud like to remind u tht there is no phone wich is 100% in features and the iphone also has its shortcomings

and all those talking abt competitors the SE p990i sells for 30k and thts iphones major competitor which will be thrashed simply coz of the brand apple is

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
I hate mobile phones, but this iphone is all i ever thought of . i always wanted to own a phone with full touch screen(+sexy looks) , I saw a haier touch phone in the market but the interface was fugly. iphone is the product which can make me use a mobile phone even if i dont need it . damn sexy :D
Price is the issue , got to work hard :D

but(there is always a but ,lol) , i have seen nintendo DS with all blurred touchscreen because of scratches made by the stylus or fingers. Same issue here, in the case of DS th touch screen is not the primary screen , but here it is.

Last edited:
OP
G

gxsaurav

well...i got points to reply on arya, but leaving right now for office. Mav3 has pointed out the shortcomings already, i will rather post about the usability lacks iPhone has later

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
1) I agree with mav3 on display maintanence. Just imagine how the screen will be when you touch it with dirty fingers. The display will not be clear so you have to clean the screen (carry yellow cloth along with it) every now and then but I don't ming cleaning it when compared to the features that it provides.

2) Every device coming from US to India have shipment costs, taxes, customs etc etc. Remember that ipod, when released first was very very costly and the it became affordable as time went on.

3) Every now and then we send sms or email in regional languages. Apple's predictive text input will not work with these. Instead it will change everything to what it thinks is correct. I seldom use PTI on my mobile phone.

This multitouch screen is much much adv. than the vanilla touch screen that need a stylus. Yes, it's said that it's fingerprint resistant. but what about dirt fingers or butter fingers?

1) Mac OS X 10 on the phone
2) Looks amazing
3) revolutionary touch screen
4) compatible with all ipod accessories
5) Has wi-fi and of course, bluetooth
6) 3.5" widescreen for video
7) *the sensor that changes to phone when you bring the device near
your ear and switches to ipod when you move it away from the ear. It's
called proximity sensor* *In the photo viewing mode, put two fingers
on the screen and move them apart and that will be zooming in, bring
them closer and that will be zooming out. move your finger on the
screen to move to other area of the image that is not seen after zoom.

It's called "Pinch"*
9) google maps
10) amazing touchscreen sensitivity. It's something that we never saw
before and is now patented to Apple.

What I didn't like:
1) No 3G
2) Locked to Cingular.
3)Will not be available in India till next year.
4) only 4 gig and 8 gig for a whopping $499 and $599 respectively?
5) Only a 2mp cam?

I will get one for sure when it comes to India. I have already started saving money for this.

Last edited:
OP
G

gxsaurav

aryayush said:
First of all, McDonald's have napkins and only allow civilised people into their premises!

:D :D :D :D :D :D , the day starts with a joke, thank u

Calculate the price of 8 GB Model

Fourth, there is a difference between an operating system made by Apple and those made by other companies. The phone has Mac OS X and it runs amazingly fast on my MacBook Pro. I don't have any reason to believe that it will lag on the phone. The phone allows you to install actual desktop applications onto it. It is a first.

Who said that? U mean, iPhone uses a Core 2 duo & 1 GB RAM:confused: cos that is what your macbook has. Do u know anything about computers & devices other then your Macbook? Iphone cannot run MacOS X in it's native form, it has to be a stripped down version. Maybe just the kernal, with some specific module like quicktime. No APU/GPU for mobile phone is capable of runing Core Video/Audio right now. I hope u don't say that u have Nvidia Geforce 7300GS in iPhone now. It cannot be MacOS X that u get on your desktop, it's just the core of MacOS X, don't compare both.

Stylus is used for writing & pointing. Again, have u ever used one or just saying it cos u need to say something

Trust me, lack of stylus is the biggest drawback of iPhone & can stop it from becoming a good product. According to andy, they are targeting it to Palm, Blackberry, right.....with out a stylus. Who uses these devices mostly, normal users like me or u, or officers on the go....first find this out

Sixth, you say that it has nothing new?! Well, I can see hordes of new features: iPod, 3.5-inch widescreen display, iTunes syncing, Cover Flow, one touch calling, visual voicemail, intelligent/predictive QWERTY soft keyboard, photo management application, HTML email client, support for POP3 and IMAP, GPS, widgets, multi-touch, OS X, true desktop-class applications, wireless (quad-band GSM, EDGE, 802.11b/g Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 2.0 with EDR), bluetooth headset and built-in Advanced Sensors (accelerometer, proximity sensor and ambient light sensor). And I have not included the features that are common on other phones too.

I have pointed out what features are there which are already age old. U sure u just did not copy pasted these lines from somewhere.

Seventh, you don't find SMS useful? Are you normal!

Read again, from the photo, SMS looks like iChat, this is what i was talking about. I said, some people might like this iChat like looks nice some may not

Leave aside the fact that the iPod has more than seventy percent market-share, tops every bestseller list, ITMS sells 6 songs per second and people are literally drooling over the iPhone.

When ipod was relesed, Portable mp3 players were new in the market. It gave something which was not available at that time. iPhone bring nothing new other then the hardware & no keyboard. It is just another phone in the market. they are touting it as a phone, well....it lacks severly as a phone, but it is quite good as a PMP, Mp3 player or ipod video

Ninth, In case you have failed to notice, no one cares for your preference!
;)
Tenth, Yes, but it not integrated with them and does not serve the purpose of a GPS device

Get a p910i, start opera.....& find out anything on google earth. Take subscription (not in india) & u can get GPS nevigation on your mobile phone via the carrier

If you haven't noticed, every sane person on Earth is thrilled about the iPhone. Tell me one thing, what do you want in a phone that the iPhone lacks! I can only point to 3G.

Stylus, Capability as a phone. Keypad......is this even a phone. Looks more like a Portable media player with phone in it, then a phone with portable media player in it. Nice try from Apple, but as a phone it will fail, as a PMP it will prevail

Till now, I had always considered you as a person who does not like a Mac because he hasn't used it and is very jealous of those who have the privilege. But now it is confirmed that you are a blind hater of Apple and logic and reasoning play no part in contributing to the emotion. I pity you![/

Task task.....like i care what u care. This is a free forum & anyone can write what they think

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
@gxsaurav. As, I said It will not fail as a phone. As always, apple concentrated on how to make things simple and they made it again.

Stylus: Stylus is good for smart phone.

But this is entirely new concept. It's not termed as a phone with music player but it's a music player with a phone. This one has more multimedia capabilities than phone features. I think this one is released to compete with the music phones to make sure that those with ipod's do not move to music phones that offer all-in-one func. and to make sure that those who are thinking of buying a phone cum player will get this (if they are in that budget level) due to the superiour music player and phone functionalities.

P910i is a business phone and it does well in that area. iphone is targeted to multimedia rich phone market. There is no point in comparing these two. Compare this with the Sony Ericsson W series and this will win by all aspects(price being the only aspect in which it fails but the performace to price ratio will be higher for iphone).
Once we start using it, we will forget to think whether it's a phone with music player or a music player with a phone. It's the experience that matters. Just my opinion. but they should have released the HDD version of the phone too. This can't replace an ipod video. How many videos can we store in 8gig?

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
wrong comparison .... SE dosnt hav a music fone in tht bracket .... its competitor is the p990i ... which also almost the same set of features

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
oh. yeah P990i is better than P910i to compare with iphone and yes both these have many features in common.

Multimedia: iphone
Organiser: P990i
message input: P990i with it's handwriting recognition
connectivity: iphone with wi-fi, EDGE and bluetooth.
communication: p990i
Photos: iphone with its amazing music management app and Pinch featue.
Camera: Don't know
call quality: Don't know
Features: iphone
Screen : iphone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom