Apple iPhone released

Status
Not open for further replies.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Lucky_star said:
Here is a YouTube video showing the demonstartion of the phone.
That link was already posted here along with several more.

Here is the best downloadable video of the keynote straight from the iTunes store. It is one hour and forty-five minutes long and is 1.21 GB in size. You need to have iTunes installed to download it and this link will directly open iTunes and take you to the download location in the store. Whether you are an Apple fan or not and whether you like the iPhone or not, I would definitely recommend watching the keynote. It's masterful. (Click anywhere on the sentence.)

And here's a funny take on iPhone and Microsoft by Criag Ferguson on YouTube.

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
thanks buddy for this awesome link. Yes. I am watching the keynote again and again (streaming video online). Now I can burn this on a DVD. thanks again.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
amanbandla said:
Man. the download rate is very very slow. it's crawling :)
They uploaded it just yesterday. There is lot of traffic. I am downloading it too. :)

ax3, I wish you best of luck! :)

gxsaurav, I am asking you in a very friendly and peaceful manner to look at this article:
Macworld: Ten Myths of the Apple iPhone

Please read it thoroughly and if you do not agree with the author on some/most/all of his points, we could *discuss* it peacefully here and not behave like 'babies'. He addresses all the concerns you expressed about the product. I would recommend it to everyone else too. Give it a look.

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
The iPhone (no, not that iPhone, or this one either) is powered by an Intel processor, right? Afterall, Steve Jobs told us all himself that one of the major reasons for making the switch to Intel was due to their sexy silicon roadmap. Well you, and pretty much everyone else would be wrong. The all seeing, all powerful iPhone -- just like the iPod -- is powered by a Samsung processor according to an Apple spokeswoman speaking to Reuters. FBR Research believes that the remaining major components are supplied by Marvell (802.11), Infineon Technologies (baseband), Broadcom Corp. (touch screen controller), and Cambridge Silicon Radio (Bluetooth). However, we won't know for sure until the iPhone undergoes the knife.

--From Engadget

OP
G

gxsaurav

nah, i better not. I have said what i wanted to say. Every thread in which i have tried to give valid & to the point statements, i was bombarded by personal comments by u & andy. This is a forum, where everyone can speek what they want. u r taking this meaning in other sence.

About that link u provided, I won't comment, other then the fact that most of the points are not justified at all, u sure it is written by a neutral person? or a macboy again.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
gxsaurav said:
nah, i better not. I have said what i wanted to say. Every thread in which i have tried to give valid & to the point statements, i was bombarded by personal comments by u & andy. This is a forum, where everyone can speek what they want. u r taking this meaning in other sence.

About that link u provided, I won't comment, other then the fact that most of the points are not justified at all, u sure it is written by a neutral person? or a macboy again.

I would request you to stop taking names. I think the admin has told in this thread itself that no name calling/blaming would be tolerated.

OP
G

gxsaurav

I would request you to stop taking names. I think the admin has told in this thread itself that no name calling/blaming would be tolerated.

*img471.imageshack.us/img471/9088/personalbk9.th.jpg

The screenshot talks itself. I Won't take names now, but anyway, everyone knows, how it starts

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
OK, here's the latest scoop. The iPhone is not a smartphone if you go by the conventional definition of a smartphone because it lacks in three major areas:
1. It cannot sync with Microsft Outlook (yet). Only Apple's own Mail.app is supported.
2. You cannot install third-party applications on it. All applications will come either from or via Apple.
3. It does not support Microsoft Office formats (i.e. Word, Excel and Powerpoint files). I suppose Apple might make an office suite for it that supports Microsoft Office formats, but at present there is no such arrangement.

This, however, does not mean that the device is incapable. It forms a somewhat new category of its own. It is touted as being a multimedia player, phone and internet browser and it excels at these three tasks.

However, due to the three severe limitations mentioned above, this phone is a strict no-no for business uses. So, if you are using Microsoft Office (and are very dependant on it) and are longing for an Apple iPhone, you almost surely have to wait till atleast the second generation of the product. If, however, you want a great all-in-one device (multimedia/phone/internet) that reeks of class and style - grab it as soon as it becomes available in India (which, unfortunately, is not going to be anytime soon).

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
aryayush said:
2. You cannot install third-party applications on it. All applications will come either from or via Apple.
3. It does not support Microsoft Office formats (i.e. Word, Excel and Powerpoint files). I suppose Apple might make an office suite for it that supports Microsoft Office formats, but at present there is no such arrangement.

Jobs said that by June lots of more apps will be announced. Lets see what they come out with.

grab it as soon as it becomes available in India (which, unfortunately, is not going to be anytime soon).

You're wrong. It'll be available in the gray markets of Mumbai, Delhi. Chennai and other cities and towns within a month. It happened a few years back when other phones were announced late in India.

Now-a-days, no company dares delaying a new phone in India even by a week. After all, 6 million connections a month do matter.

I think it is a wrong strategy by Apply to delay the iPhone in the two biggest markets, both by value and volume: India/China and Europe. They're going to suffer. USA may be the biggest computer market, but it is no where near the biggest cell phone market.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
Jay Leno: iPhone should be called iCarAccident :D

“Apple is coming out with something they think is going to be, like, the hot holiday gift, something called an iPhone. Have you heard of this? It’s an iPod combined with a cell phone. Now why don’t they call it what it really is, an iCarAccident. Okay that’s what…how many distractions is this stupid thing?”
– Jay Leno, The Tonight Show, Dec 5, 2006

on 11th jan, i missed Jay Leno's Show (on Zee Cafe 3pm/10pm), in that show, he gave a small review of that iPhone or ICarAccident :D

did anyone see it, was the above quote frm this show.?

OP
G

gxsaurav

^^^^^^^^^ lolz....absolutely true. There are already banners about not to use Mobile while driving, & now another.

How will u drive if u r going to use both of your hands to dial a number, grab by one & dial by other. Since there is no tactile feeling, it's hard to dial using one hand operation. Some might get habitual though......

@ arya

u forgot to mention, it doesn't even supports PDF viewing capability.

Ok, lets consider this is not a PDA or smartphone. The how come it is chaged at such high price? Infact mav3 is right, seeing how apple charges for their product it is rather priced low

Multimedia Player - Yes, it's iPod
Phone - Yes, SMS, Calling etc
Internet - Yes a full fledged browser

hey, other then the iPod brand, aren't other things already available at a lower price in other high end PDA phones. I guess it again shows how much premium apple charges.

I compared it to W810i on previous page, i should have compared it to W950i, & cannot compare it to P990i, cos P990i wins everywhere other then screen size, & they are not from the same class

Andy

they cannot relese in Europe without full 3g support. Also it will be of no use in India, at such an early stage, cos it's vendor locked

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
gxsaurav said:
u forgot to mention, it doesn't even supports PDF viewing capability.

I read somewhere that it does have PDF viewing capability.

Andy

they cannot relese in Europe without full 3g support. Also it will be of no use in India, at such an early stage, cos it's vendor locked

I would again request to refrain from making comments about things you do not know about. Any phone, 3G or not, will work in Europe provided it works on the 900 mhz/1800 mhz band. iPhone is quad-band, so it will work on any GSM network, 3G or not.

It's vendor locked, yes. But, unlocking is a big industry, and we'll probably see unlocked iphones in a week's time.

goobimama

 Macboy
Isn't PDF built into the Mac OS X interface? All those graphics are rendered using PDF tech. Why should the phone be any different cause Jobs said it runs Mac OS X...

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Apple and Cisco Could Both End Up Using the "iPhone" Trademark

In a report, Cisco mentioned that Apple had repeatedly approached it for permission to use the iPhone name, but no solid agreement had ever come to realization. Now, however, it could be possible that both companies will be allowed to use the iPhone name -- and so would everyone else, says a trademark expert.

According to Brian Banner, a seasoned attorney dealing with intellectual property and trademarks at Rothwell Figg, the "iPhone" name may actually be generic enough that a judge will rule it usable by both Apple and Cisco. The ruling will be under condition however, that a company name be attached to the term "iPhone," like "Apple iPhone" or "Cisco iPhone." Banner mentioned that the term may also be deemed generic enough to use by any company.

Source

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
PDF support if built into the core of Mac OS X and the iPhone not only supports viewing PDF files, you can also covert other formats to PDF on the phone itself. If it had not supported PDF files, I would have mentioned it myself in my previous post.

mail2and said:
Jobs said that by June lots of more apps will be announced. Lets see what they come out with.

You're wrong. It'll be available in the gray markets of Mumbai, Delhi. Chennai and other cities and towns within a month. It happened a few years back when other phones were announced late in India.

Now-a-days, no company dares delaying a new phone in India even by a week. After all, 6 million connections a month do matter.

I think it is a wrong strategy by Apply to delay the iPhone in the two biggest markets, both by value and volume: India/China and Europe. They're going to suffer. USA may be the biggest computer market, but it is no where near the biggest cell phone market.
Well, I was talking about the legal channel and Steve has announced that it will reach Asia by 2008. And anyway, I don't we will get gray market versions of it before it is released. Of course, I may be entirely wrong.
But it will be released even in USA in June. So we do have a long time to wait anyway.

gxsaurav said:
^^^^^^^^^ lolz....absolutely true. There are already banners about not to use Mobile while driving, & now another.

How will u drive if u r going to use both of your hands to dial a number, grab by one & dial by other. Since there is no tactile feeling, it's hard to dial using one hand operation. Some might get habitual though......
You should not use your phone while driving anyway.

gxsaurav said:
Ok, lets consider this is not a PDA or smartphone. The how come it is chaged at such high price? Infact mav3 is right, seeing how apple charges for their product it is rather priced low

Multimedia Player - Yes, it's iPod
Phone - Yes, SMS, Calling etc
Internet - Yes a full fledged browser

hey, other then the iPod brand, aren't other things already available at a lower price in other high end PDA phones. I guess it again shows how much premium apple charges.
But having a full-fledged widescreen video iPod onboard is not a joke. And it is costly too.
Plus, the internet browsers on other phones do not even have half of the iPhone's capabilities. Make no mistake, I am a big fan of Opera and I prefer it to Safari even on my Mac, but the Safari on the iPhone beats the crap out of any mobile browser out there. I would highly recommend you to watch the keynote.
And I don't know what you know about pricing, but I do know this that devices are primarily charged due to the components they use, not for the functions they perform. The iPhone uses a very high quality touchscreen and that does not come cheap.
BTW, the iPhone is a smartphone in its own right. Yes, it does not allow third party applications but the on-board applications and the ones Apple releases later are going to be far better than whatever the mobile industry has seen till date. And it does whatever it does better than every other cell phone out there - including making calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom