Apple expensive? I don't think so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Please refrain from making personal comments! It will just lead to the topic being closed.
Flame the posters' opinions (if you feel the need to do so), not the posters themselves.
Windows and Linux are good, but i feel Mac is special. Given the choice, i'd definitely would love to go Mac. I think every computer owner should atleast once treat themselves to a Mac. Then after that whether they go back or not is their decision, but they probably won't, IMO.
Spot on; bang on target! :D

Last edited:

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
mail2and said:
You don't have the stones to take names? Figures.

But, then, what more can you expect from 5 year olds who get excited when they kill a monster in <enter the name of the latest game>.

Good ol andy, always there with his provoking and insulting language.

digitadmin said:
mail2and: ignore the personal comments completely, and refrain from making any of your own.

Digitadmin did really waste his/her time here.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, this is a certain drawback he suffers from. I think his posts are mostly very informative and friendly, but if he has a bit of a grudge against someone, he can post some really scathing remarks. And because he is now a moderator, these comments get more attention than they should.
So, I suppose this topic has reached an end now. Actually, this a non-topic, anyway. There is simply NO REASON why one would prefer Windows over Mac OS X except inertia. You have been using it since forever and you can't be bothered to change (even for the better).

Last edited:
G

gxsaurav

There is simply NO REASON why one would prefer Windows over Mac OS X except inertia.

Didn't the whole thread taught u anything, u better go back & read again.

Crash department

Apple is good just cos the hardware is tied to the OS; Windows is good as long as u have proper WHQL drivers. But works with so many hardware configs u can think of, just use any hardware, any gfx card, any motherboard, any RAM

Hardware configs department

Apple hardware doesn't give u many options, in case of PC & windows there are limitless hardware configs

Software development

Windows is a great tool for Software development; so many IDEs are available for it. I don't know about any Mac based IDE other then JAVA, Carbon & Cocoa, plz tell me

PCs & Windows have games; they can connect to many 3rd party devices easily out of the box such as XBOX, PS3, TiVo, AIWA & Sony Stereo system with USB, not the same case with Mac....

If u have hardware which works with Mac & if u have software that requires Mac (read: workstations apps etc) then go for Mac

If u want a desktop for the flaunt value, & not productivity all the time, then go for Mac. Now don't say again, that Mac uses high quality Gold components

If u wants to be a Mac fan boy & act like one, then go for it, for everything else, u have PC, do whatever u want on it, and it will serve u well. Use some common sense, & u won't need an Antivirus too, just a firewall, which is available for free from many companies, such as outpost & Zone alarm free

Mac are based on UNIX architecture because of which Linux apps can run on it just by compiling in X11, if that’s your requirement go for it.

U can pay more & get a Mac (hardware) then u can install any OS on it, in 25% less price u can get a PC which is as powerful as the Mac is, in hardware config

U won't have to worry about antivirus & viruses on Mac. A Plus point

For office work, Windows based PCs are best, even Linux with open office is awesome, due to its low system requirement & it runs on the same PC hardware along with Windows 2000 SP4/XP SP2

Arya, better not compare Windows XP with Tiger, there is a difference of 4 years between them. Why don't u compare XP SP2 with tiger or XP with Puma

Even I have said that I hate MS for their high prices, but there are always other legal methods to get Windows, education or student license. MS is releasing so many editions of Vista in Jan, to suite various market needs. 80% people will go for Vista ultimate, just for the name sake, when Vista home premium is enough for them. They are releasing Vista Business for as usual business, Ultimate for Workstation use, Home premium & home basic for homes running old hardware, where computer is mostly used as a tool for Video/Audio, internet etc

Mac is not the most secure & compatible anymore, just yesterday apple released a mega patch, 22 fixes in it. All software are buggy, & insecure. It's just that which fixes is easily, Mac hardly have to worry as no one cares to install malware on a Mac affecting 2% internet users out there to gain some ad revenue

There are many features not in Windows by default, for them u have many 3rd party addons & apps, Windows is a wide platform for 3rd party developers to stay on, this is what made Windows what it is today. On Mac most of the apps are developed by Apple itself, not many 3rd party apps although there are. & they still lack with Windows in feature department (Yahoo messeneger is an example)

With your last post, we are again back to post 1 of this thread, despite of all the reasons, u r biased towards a Mac, u cannot confess that your decision is wrong (if it is) cos u own it, well, u have paid money for it, now onbiously u will defend it, atleast Windows users are not afraid to blame Windows in case of problem, but in your case u can not blame Apple at all

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
gxsaurav said:
Apple is good just cos the hardware is tied to the OS
Yes, I know that. So what! It is good, right? And that is all that matters.

gxsaurav said:
Apple hardware doesn't give u many options, in case of PC & windows there are limitless hardware configs
There are more than three million possible configurations for the Mac Pro. You want more?
iMacs come in four brilliant configurations. Apple decides what is best for users and it generally is. That is good hardware design. Having said that, it would have been greatly appreciated if they allowed custom configurations on their products. Let us concede that this is one point against them.

gxsaurav said:
Windows is a great tool for Software development; so many IDEs are available for it. I don't know about any Mac based IDE other then JAVA, Carbon & Cocoa, plz tell me
And they are enough. Actually, I don't have much knowledge about this aspect so I won't comment much on it. But I know it for a fact that Macintosh software generally is much better than their PC counterparts. A brilliant example is Microsoft Office. Microsoft Office for Mac is much better than Office 2003 and it was released in 2001. However, the latest Windows release has left the Macintosh version behind.

gxsaurav said:
PCs & Windows have games;
About the only decent point you have made. You say that Macs don't get viruses because they only constitute a very small percentage of the market and therefore, you don't think it is an achievement to be virus free. Well, games are not developed for the same reason. Why don't you consider that now? I can also say that if Apple had a greater market share, they would have had more games.
Anyway, you can always instal Windows on your Mac for your gaming needs. And there is this upcoming technology called 'Cider' that promises to enable Windows' games to run natively on Mac OS X.

gxsaurav said:
they can connect to many 3rd party devices easily out of the box such as XBOX, PS3, TiVo, AIWA & Sony Stereo system with USB, not the same case with Mac....
The XBOX cannot be connected because it is made by Microsoft. I can also say that you cannot connect an iSight camera to a PC.
And apart from TiVo, the other hardware you mentioned can be connected to a Mac too.

gxsaurav said:
If u want a desktop for the flaunt value, & not productivity all the time, then go for Mac.
I am much more productive on my Macintosh because I don't have to spend precious working hours troubleshooting problems with the system. It does not hang or crash, can go on working for months without tiring out, has a fast and responsive UI and has much better applications. Plus, if my work involves some Windows or Linux specific application, I have several ways to use it. What will you do if you want to use GarageBand?

gxsaurav said:
U can pay more & get a Mac (hardware) then u can install any OS on it, in 25% less price u can get a PC which is as powerful as the Mac is, in hardware config
And you cannot run Mac OS X on it. And I challenge you to find me a computer that has the same (or better) configuration as any Macintosh and costs 25 percent less than it. It must have a legal copy of Windows XP Professional installed on it.

gxsaurav said:
U won't have to worry about antivirus & viruses on Mac. A Plus point
Yeah, I know that and it's high time you stopped finding excuses for it.

gxsaurav said:
For office work, Windows based PCs are best, even Linux with open office is awesome, due to its low system requirement & it runs on the same PC hardware along with Windows 2000 SP4/XP SP2
Both Microsoft Office and OpenOffice are available for the Macintosh too (in addition to iWork).

gxsaurav said:
Arya, better not compare Windows XP with Tiger, there is a difference of 4 years between them. Why don't u compare XP SP2 with tiger or XP with Puma
First of all, it is neither mine nor Apple's fault that Microsoft takes five years to upgrade their operating system. And I am comparing Tiger with XP SP2 only. Tiger beats the crap out of Windows XP SP2 and even Vista. Tiger is already better than Vista and Leopard is going to be even better.

gxsaurav said:
Mac is not the most secure & compatible anymore, just yesterday apple released a mega patch, 22 fixes in it. All software are buggy, & insecure.
Yeah, I know that. I never said that Macs were perfect. They are leaps and bounds ahead of Windows, yes but they are not perfect (and can never be).

gxsaurav said:
There are many features not in Windows by default, for them u have many 3rd party addons & apps, Windows is a wide platform for 3rd party developers to stay on, this is what made Windows what it is today.
Why aren't they there by default? They should be there. Why should you have to pay additional money for something that Apple bundles with the operating system? If you bought a computer and made your OS comparable to Mac OS X, you would have spent more than a Macintosh. You would have to spend on security applications, equivalents of the iLife suite, various mods that would make XP more functionally equivalent to a Macintosh.

gxsaurav said:
On Mac most of the apps are developed by Apple itself, not many 3rd party apps although there are
That is a myth. Apple only makes the default applications that are bundled, iWork (Keynote and Pages), Final Cut Studio (Final Cut Pro, Soundtrack Pro, Motion, DVD Studio Pro and Compressor), Aperture, Logic Pro and Shake. And the thousands of other applications are all made by third-party developers, and there are many of them.

gxsaurav said:
& they still lack with Windows in feature department (Yahoo messeneger is an example)
LOL! Have you seen Yahoo! Messenger for Mac? It looks better than the Windows version, works better than the Windows version and has almost every feature the Windows version has (except support for sound, and it is coming soon).

gxsaurav said:
With your last post, we are again back to post 1 of this thread, despite of all the reasons, u r biased towards a Mac, u cannot confess that your decision is wrong (if it is) cos u own it, well, u have paid money for it, now onbiously u will defend it, atleast Windows users are not afraid to blame Windows in case of problem, but in your case u can not blame Apple at all
If I have made one right decision in my life, it has been to by the Apple MacBook Pro when I was out there looking for a laptop and thinking of Sony and HP. I can never ever go back to working on Windows and all my future computers are bound to be Macs.

G

gxsaurav

Yes, I know that. So what! It is good, right? And that is all that matters

If that is what matters, then stop arguing in these posts, u cannot justify Windows being bad, cos it runs on various hardware config & it's not tied to any of them

There are more than three million possible configurations for the Mac Pro. You want more?

Yeah, what about Geforce 7600GT, Radeon X1650XT, X-Fi (if u want to use Windows on it). I m sure a user will void his warranty if he adds his own sound card to the Mac Pro, like I said already many time, & I m again repeating, where is the option to customize it as I want? Good that even u understood the novelty we PC users enjoy with PCs, our own custom hardware config.

Yeah, I know that. I never said that Macs were perfect. They are leaps and bounds ahead of Windows, yes but they are not perfect (and can never be).

Woha....then what were u saying in all these pages

Why aren't they there by default? They should be there

U already know the reason, due to their big market share, even a small new feature is treated as Anti-Competitive. Don't u know what happened with kernel patch guard & WMP for Europe? MS can't give features, not cos they can't but cos they are not allowed to. U think MS will not be sued again, if they bundle Word 2007 Lite edition in Windows.

They are doing it this time in case of Vista, bundling many application in it, such as a calendar app, Windows Mail, (already there from long time as Outlook), Windows defender, & now I just hope they don't get sued for giving features in Vista, their own OS

iWork (Keynote and Pages), Final Cut Studio (Final Cut Pro, Soundtrack Pro, Motion, DVD Studio Pro and Compressor), Aperture, Logic Pro and Shake. And the thousands of other applications are all made by third-party developers, and there are many of them.

WTF......better go read again the WebPages of these apps. Final cut studio, logic, motion, shake, iwork is made by Apple as far as I know, u said it so many times yourself already that these are Apple's own application

LOL! Have you seen Yahoo! Messenger for Mac?

Nope, just a few screenshots, hey, when was Yahoo messenger 3 beta released for Mac? 2006, when was the last version released (2.5), in 2002...wow, quite a long development time. Although yahoo is to blame here. We windows users are already enjoying webcam, audio, file transfer from 2004

If I have made one right decision in my life

Use whatever u like, just don't rant about your product being the best, & make other buy it, they have their own choices too, even your product has flaws, but stop portraying it as a flawless product

there is this upcoming technology called 'Cider' that promises to enable Windows' games to run natively on Mac OS X

Only on X86 Mac, which is a PC inside, using PC components just like dell, HP, alienware etc. They will work cos there is no re-compilation required as the CPU is same as X86 PC CPU

And apart from TiVo, the other hardware you mentioned can be connected to a Mac too

This is just a small list man. I laughed at the first page of this thread, where u added an iSight camera to a PC config & the said PC is costly :D

I have several ways to use it. What will you do if you want to use GarageBand?

I would say, this is something wrong from Apple side, that they release their apps which are not modular, they are not able to run on Windows/Linux running on PC at all, Linux & Windows are so much modular, that they were capable of running on X86 Mac, even before bootcamp. Apple was just being cocky when they released that "Run Windows XP on Mac" challenge. All hail the PC enthusiast community, which can do any wonder with our hardware

And you cannot run Mac OS X on it

Yeah, we can't but whose fault is that? Linux & Windows run on any PC, not just a few particular hardware, so it obviously is Apple's fault that they are not releasing it for the mass market, but then again apple is a hardware company, they can't do it, there Mac sales because of MacOS X. But U have no reason to call Windows & PCs bad cos they run on so many hardware configs, & get problems due to either bad drivers or user stupidness

And I challenge you to find me a computer that has the same (or better) configuration as any Macintosh and costs 25 percent less than it. It must have a legal copy of Windows XP Professional installed on It.

Lolz....ask anyone here, Tarey, mehul, meditator, anyone here, & then go to your local computer market to find the prices yourself

Both Microsoft Office and OpenOffice are available for the Macintosh too (in addition to iWork).

For which u need at least a Rs. 25k Mac mini, isn't it. The last time I checked, I configured an office PC for running Office 2003/2007 for just Rs 18k here. Although Windows was free on it (u know how), but even with legal Linux & open office the cost was same.

Admit it arya, Apple & Mac are severally limiting the hardware & software choices, the only thing i hate about them. U think i won't like to use an OS without the worry of virus or anything like that, i sure will, but i want to run it on my own PC, whose components i can chose myself

They won't release iwork or ilife for other platform, cos then this will hamper their hardware sales, well, this is justified fact, but Mac fan boys saying that Windows or PCs sux cos they do not run these apps is literally absurd

First of all, it is neither mine nor Apple's fault that Microsoft takes five years to upgrade their operating system

In which time, Apple released 5 Operating system each requiring $130 to upgrade, which totals to $650, when the new features given were justified only service packs, which we windows/Linux users get for free.

Now don't reply by saying that, each new gadget in dashboard is a feature :D..Lolz, I still remember the apple page stating each gadget as a new feature.

there is no point arguing anymore, u better read all the posts written on the previous pages, & u will understand, why PC is still a better choice then a Mac, & why there are reasons to get a PC insted of Mac. Mac is good, but if it is so good then I ask u MacBoys 2 things

1) Why isn't Apple relesing it for General PCs too, it's also X86 now

2) Why is apple giving the option to run Windows XP on Mac hardware at all, isn't their own OS supirior, or is it just a way to attract Windows users to their hardware to increse sales

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
gxsaurav said:
Woha....then what were u saying in all these pages
That Mac OS X is a better operating system than Windows XP.

gxsaurav said:
U already know the reason, due to their big market share, even a small new feature is treated as Anti-Competitive. Don't u know what happened with kernel patch guard & WMP for Europe? MS can't give features, not cos they can't but cos they are not allowed to. U think MS will not be sued again, if they bundle Word 2007 Lite edition in Windows.

They are doing it this time in case of Vista, bundling many application in it, such as a calendar app, Windows Mail, (already there from long time as Outlook), Windows defender, & now I just hope they don't get sued for giving features in Vista, their own OS
I knew this was coming. This is just an excuse you guys have made up after that WMP fiasco. No one is going to sue MS if they make a more responsive PC, get rid of the registry, make installing/uninstalling applications simpler, provide more extensive support for drag-and-drop, add any number of features. And even if someone does sue them, Microsoft should fight it out in the interest of their customers. But they won't do it because (a) they don't care; and (b) it will cost money. The reason Apple has such a loyal following is that Apple respects their customers and provides the best support for their products. Microsoft treats their customers like ****. They install software on the system that repeatedly phones back home to inform MS that the product is genuine, and if it makes a mistake, the operating system become unusable. There have been cases where people have had to buy another license though they had one in the first place. Microsoft does not even have a toll-free number to call for support.
Microsoft is a global giant. No one can force them to exclude features from their OS that they want to incorporate in it.

gxsaurav said:
WTF......better go read again the WebPages of these apps. Final cut studio, logic, motion, shake, iwork is made by Apple as far as I know, u said it so many times yourself already that these are Apple's own application
aryayush said:
Apple only makes the default applications that are bundled, iWork (Keynote and Pages), Final Cut Studio (Final Cut Pro, Soundtrack Pro, Motion, DVD Studio Pro and Compressor), Aperture, Logic Pro and Shake.
I recommend elementary english classes. 8)

gxsaurav said:
We windows users are already enjoying webcam, audio, file transfer from 2004
Three words: iChat and Skype.

gxsaurav said:
Use whatever u like, just don't rant about your product being the best, & make other buy it, they have their own choices too, even your product has flaws, but stop portraying it as a flawless product
I never did.

gxsaurav said:
Only on X86 Mac, which is a PC inside, using PC components just like dell, HP, alienware etc. They will work cos there is no re-compilation required as the CPU is same as X86 PC CPU
And your point is? You wanted games, you have 'em.

gxsaurav said:
This is just a small list man.
My friend came to me with a Nikon camera that Windows XP wouldn't recognise and my Macintosh recognised and imported pictures from in a flash.

gxsaurav said:
I laughed at the first page of this thread, where u added an iSight camera to a PC config & the said PC is costly :D
Yeah, that was a silly goof-up.

gxsaurav said:
For which u need at least a Rs. 25k Mac mini, isn't it. The last time I checked, I configured an office PC for running Office 2003/2007 for just Rs 18k here.
Could you carry it around with you? Did it have an operating system that has the slickest effects and does not even require a GPU? Were people awed by your machine? Did it have a slot-loading drive? Could it do even basic audio/video editing? Wasn't it susceptible to malware and viruses?

gxsaurav said:
In which time, Apple released 5 Operating system each requiring $130 to upgrade, which totals to $650, when the new features given were justified only service packs, which we windows/Linux users get for free.
Correction: Mac OS X was released before XP, so the intermediate releases amount to a total of four, the upgrade cost being $520, which is less than the price of Windows Vista Ultimate and Tiger is still better than Vista. Plus, you could chose to upgrade only to alternate released and the cost would be half as much. You would still be ahead of the Windows brethren. Windows users, on the other hand, have had to remain behind in the technology race for the past four years even if they were willing to pay for an upgrade.

gxsaurav said:
Mac is good, but if it is so good then I ask u MacBoys 2 things

1) Why isn't Apple relesing it for General PCs too, it's also X86 now

2) Why is apple giving the option to run Windows XP on Mac hardware at all, isn't their own OS supirior, or is it just a way to attract Windows users to their hardware to increse sales
1) Because the Mac experience is all about solid integration between the hardware and software.
2) So that people who are considering switching to the Mac feel comfortable knowing that they have a safety net. Also, Apple knows that once they use Mac OS X for a few days, they'll never want to use Windows anyway.

If you say a custom built PC is better than a Macintosh for so and so reason, we might understand. But don't ever challenge the fact that Mac OS X is the greatest operating system yet.

G

gxsaurav

I knew this was coming. This is just an excuse you guys have made up after that WMP fiasco. No one is going to sue MS if they make a more responsive PC, get rid of the registry, make installing/uninstalling applications simpler, provide more extensive support for drag-and-drop, add any number of features. And even if someone does sue them, Microsoft should fight it out in the interest of their customers. But they won't do it because (a) they don't care; and (b) it will cost money. The reason Apple has such a loyal following is that Apple respects their customers and provides the best support for their products. Microsoft treats their customers like ****.

Anti MS & a pure Apple fan boy remark, yeah right....well, I m not going to say how Apple treats the customers by charging them $130 every year for OS upgrades, or $100 for an iPod leather pouch or again $100 for a webcam..it's the Mac & MacOS X thing here, tell me a single point how MS doesn't care for their customer, & yeah, if they include features they will be sued, the always get sued. They paid EC million of dollars in fine, just due to including their own WMP in Windows XP, I have already said it before why, so go & read. Stop making kiddish comments like 5 years old kids

& plz registry is not bad ok, it's a centralised database of keys that any apps can access, it's shared, U have to understand what it is first before u say anything against it

They install software on the system that repeatedly phones back home to inform MS that the product is genuine, and if it makes a mistake, the operating system become unusable. There have been cases where people have had to buy another license though they had one in the first place. Microsoft does not even have a toll-free number to call for support.

WGA is buggy, yeah, I agree. But they are forced to do it, their OS is the most pirated one, Apple has no such thing, cos to use MacOS X U will have to buy Mac hardware, which again in my opinion is wrong. Even in case of PC OEMs/Operating system they do not bound u to a single OS/hardware. I wonder how this policy of apple is good, when u make comments that apple is good cos the hardware is tied to the OS with limited user customisation. Well, if today MS jumps in PC Hardware market, & starts making Microsoft PCs, trust me arya, they will beat the record of even Dell in sales & will be the best is stability out there, but they won’t, cos they are software makers, they give the user choice to install Windows on any hardware, unlike apple

One question - Does ichat works with Yahoo?

I never did.

Ok, no more discussion when u don't even admit what u were saying on all these pages

And your point is? You wanted games, you have 'em.

With limited support, what about all the PPC users, they still account for more than 80% of overall Mac users I guess. U want to play windows games, better use Windows for it

Could you carry it around with you? Did it have a slot-loading drive? Could it do even basic audio/video editing? Wasn't it susceptible to malware and viruses?

Like someone already said, yeah u can carry a 25k Linux laptop with u, yeah u can carry a 25k Linux laptop & install windows on it by other means, yeah u can buy Windows XP home edition (Rs 3600) & still the price is Rs 21,600.

Did it have an operating system that has the slickest effects and does not even require a GPU?

I didn't get this part? All computer have them, even Core 2 duo Mac mini has GMA 950,wait r u thinking that GMA 950 is a measly graphics chip & still capable of running MacOS X Quartz, oh plz, u really need to study about graphics chip now, GMA 950 has enough horsepower to run an OS despite of being measly, & that 18k PC can have GMA 950 graphics too.

Windows/Linux do not need a separate AGP/PCIe GPU to run all the cool effects anyway, Vista is different though. U were comparing XP to MacOS X, well, XP runs perfectly fine on Intel 845, Via S3 Mirage graphics which came in 2002.

Slot loading drive, ok now u tell me how that makes a Mac mini better, it's just a drive.

Were people awed by your machine?

Wait wait , u buy a computer of 32k to show off to your friends, wow, gr8...only u can pay that much money on a Computer just so that u can show & flaunt it. I would rather use that money on doing some bike modifications

Basic audio video editing, well...let’s see

1) Virtualdub & its mod = free
2) Windows movie maker = free
3) Nero (usually comes as OEM)= free & yeah, Nero is quite a good bundle, it gives u recode, wave editor, photo snap & more too

Wasn't it susceptible to malware and viruses?

U R again bringing the old discussion here, refrain from it, I have already given the answer to this question

The upgrade cost being $520, which is less than the price of Windows Vista Ultimate

Windows Vista ultimate = $400, u buy it ones to use it for many years to come, u get free updates & service packs, at least 5 years, I don't think it as too much money for a OS U R going to use for 5 or 6 years

Windows users, on the other hand, have had to remain behind in the technology race for the past four years even if they were willing to pay for an upgrade.

SATA came first on which platform? HD Audio came first on which platform? Mac or PC araya

1) because the Mac experience is all about solid integration between the hardware and software

Well, yeah, that’s true, their own hardware & their own software, now is this the fault of MS if Joe user installs some bad driver on Windows & crashes his PC, I hope u don't reply by saying that Macs don't crash even with bad drivers

So that people who are considering switching to the Mac feel comfortable knowing that they have a safety net. Also, Apple knows that once they use Mac OS X for a few days, they'll never want to use Windows anyway.

What a reason, wow, apple is good, MS is bad, this is your thinking, which cannot be changed, and no matter how much valid justification we PC & Windows users give u it will stay the same way. I donno who opened this thread again & why, when the end result is same, u cannot change your thinking, even if we give u valid points. U cannot change our thinking cos we PC users like to run our OS & apps on hardware of our choice

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
OK, fine. Have it your way.

But I can assure you this, the day you buy a Macintosh computer (if you do) for any reason, maybe you want something with a high flaunt value, have saved up a sizeable amount of money and want to invest it in a computer, whatever - you will be here on this forum and you will be posting comments about how much better than Windows it is. I know only three people on this forum who have bought a Mac, and all three are more than satisifed with it and can never consider switching back to Windows.

FatBeing

Administratus Rotundus
Personal comments deleted.
Andy, GX - keep it civil. Like the rules say - if you can't keep your cool, don't post.

First one to go "But he abused me first" gets miserabled.

G

gxsaurav

ok, i won't say who started it first, everyone knows the fact. I didn't even point at any particular membar.

digitadmin

Administrator
Admin
You guys are such kids. It's obvious that both PCs and MACs have their advantages, so just choose one and shut up! Some people like skinny women/men, some like fat ones, who cares, it just means that everyone's happy, and everyone gets lucky! Can't you all just be happy?

Both of you are like horses wearing blinders, refusing to listen to the other's comments.

@fatbeing: gxsaurav's las post seems to be in blatant disregard to your warning, so I'm miserabling him for a week. Admins / mods please un-miserable him next friday! Sorry gxsaurav, but you should learn to listen to admins, when he said DO NOT post about WHO STARTED IT, a comment like "ok, i won't say who started it first, everyone knows the fact." is like you saying "Hah! I don't care about the rules!"

Just to be fair, the same applies to mail2and. gx gets normal status back after a week, mail2and gets mod status back after a week. For now, i sincerely hope that a week in shameful misery will calm you both down a little. Since i'm the forgetful type, will Raabo or fatbeing please revert their status back to normal by friday?

Digitadmin

FatBeing

Administratus Rotundus
No, it will not be changed. It means that you should enter only if you can listen to your views be challenged without losing your cool.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
This is what digit had to say about the Apple PowerBook G4 in the laptop shootout (page 64) of its October 2005 issue:
Apple PowerBook G4
With the PowerBook G4, Apple seems to have put a lot of effort into getting things just right. They have here come up with the successor to the Titanium Powerbook, again implementing a G4 processor, but the 1.5 GHz has been pumped up to 1.67 GHz, and the titanium has been replaced by Aluminium-and that's why its been nicked the AlBook.
The AlBook comes in three flavours-the 12-inch, the 17-inch, and the one we had a look at-the 15-inch.
All new PowerBooks come with a standard 512 MB of memory, fast graphics, integrated Airport 802.11g, Bluetooth 2.0 wireless networking, and two new Apple technologies-the scrolling TrackPad and the Sudden Motion Sensor (SMS).
The SMS senses changes in axis position and accelerated movement. In the event of a drop or fall, the SMS instantly parks the hard drive heads so they won't scratch the disks on impact, lessening the risk of damage and improving your chances of retrieving valuable data. When the SMS senses the PowerBook is once again been levelled, it automatically unlocks hard drive heads.
The TrackPad can sense dual-touch and switch to the scroll feature instantly upon dual-touch, and it works with almost all application windows. The other interesting aspect about this Apple is the OS: Tiger, the latest Mac OS, looks very stable, and is laden with such features as the 'Dashboard', and most importantly, the 'Spotlight'-a real-time indexing engine finds anything on your hard drive as-you-type!
Graphics on the AlBook 15-inch is powered by the ATi Radeon 9700 64 MB (AGP) GPU. The LCD screen is 15.2 inches diagonally, and the picture is clear. The hard disk is 80 GB, and the processor is a 1.67 GHz PowerPC G4.
Also notable is the ambient light-sensor device that turns on the backlit keyboard and reduces the intensity of the LCD screen in dim light.
It is also the only laptop out there that has both FireWire 400 and 800. The other ports are Gigabit Ethernet, S-Video out and DVI. This one also flaunts a slot-loadable SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW).
Open or closed, the chassis is commendably rigid for such a thin structure. The AlBook has all its ports on the sides rather than on the back.
There are also no easy-to-break doors hiding the ports!
There's one issue though: battery life. We tested it by playing a DVD video, and the time recorded was a little less than two hours. Note that this is the worst-case scenario; under normal operation, you can add a 40 to 60 minutes to that.
More than just a pleasant change in a Windows world, this is a unique experience: a world of innovation and perfection at a reasonable price-Rs 1,37,500.
And this is 'A Final Word' they ended the shootout with (I am only quoting the PowerBook specific comments here):
The Apple PowerBook G4 was in a league of its own. It is the ultimate in style, and is a laptop with an attitude. If you are searching for a laptop to brag about without a platform in mind, your search ends here. This is the laptop for you-period!
If you're out to make a point and re-affirm to the world that you're no mere mortal, go get one of these!
I need hardly mention that they were waxing eloquent about it. You'd think it was a review by an Apple/Mac specific magazine. Go around the internet, you're likely to find hordes of similar reviews.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
^^ You can also find many reviews on the internet say that a normal laptop of same config will be a cheaper deal. So what does it prove?
Digitadmin said:
It's obvious that both PCs and MACs have their advantages, so just choose one and shut up!

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
You guys don't understand, do you? It's not about the hardware configuration, it is about the package as a whole. Mac OS X has some amazing effects even on an on-board graphics solution, while Vista will require a dedicated video card. So, you will need a computer with higher specs for running Vista. Now, if Apple can give similar (and in most cases, better) effects in its OS at a low hardware configuration, it is the company's strong point, not a drawback.
You just cannot compare the hardware directly. What Apple sells is an experience, not just the hardware and software. It is a rock solid and stable platform. Not only that, must things are truly plug and play. For example, my SE phone, when connected to a particular USB port on my Windows XP machine for first time, takes a lot of time to be usable because of the drivers that XP installs. On my Mac, it connected instantly the first time I connected it.
You guys keep moaning about the price. I am not aware of many laptops the give you the best processor in the world, on-board stereo surround sound, slot loading SuperDrive, light, motion and dual-touch sensors, scrolling trackpad, magnetic power connector, built-in camera and hidden mic, a gigabyte of RAM, a complete set of connectivity options (including, but not limited to, Bluetooth 2.0, Wi-Fi anf FireWire 800 and 400) and a decent graphics card (the only area where is still lacks a little) for Rs 1,30,000. Add to that the best operating system, arguably the best suite of creative applications (iLife) and a media center. Plus, the ability to run any operating system right inside OS X itself (Parallels, VMWare).
For Rs 1,30,000, you get a laptop that is the thinnest and lightest in its class, is very sexy looking and has no stickers. You also get an operating system that works almost flawlessly and never crashes. Even the Calculator on Mac OS X is highly advanced! Add to that the top-notch support the company provides (both for the hardware as well as the software) and you have a winner.

You might argue that it is a tad over-priced than similarly equipped laptops. Well, those laptops do not have Mac OS X or iLife. Heck, they do not even have slot-loading drives. And things that are better do cost a little more than things that are not.
And if you come up with some wierd suggestion that "in 25% less price u can get a PC which is as powerful as the Mac is, in hardware config", I'd like to see some concrete proof. Before purchasing the MacBook Pro, I was out here on the digit forum asking people to recommend me a decent laptop within the budget of one lac, and did not get even one recommendation that matched the MacBook Pro even in terms of just the hardware configuration. And anyway, as I pointed out in my post, just the hardware configuration does not necessarily make a good computer.
This is one point he has been making for a long time and I have looked it up now. Turns out, his statement is totally false.
Mac OS X 10.0 "Cheetah" was released in March, 2001 and Windows XP much later in October, 2001. So the total intermediate releases have been four, not five. And since Mac OS X 10.1 "Puma" was a free upgrade, the number of paid OS upgrades falls to three. So the total amount you would have had to shell out had you been updating your OS every time a new one was released would have been $(120 x 3) = $360. Yes, the cost of an OS upgrade is $120, not $130. I don't know where you get your pricing information from but a Google search tells me (on three seperate links) that the price of Windows Vista Ultimate is $450. That is ninety dollars more than what you would have paid had you bought a Mac in 2001 and stuck with it.
Now, since the upgrade from 10.0 (Cheetah) to 10.4 (Tiger) is definitely more than XP to Vista and still the price of the upgrade is lesser, even if the intermediate releases had been more like service pack worthy updates, it would have been justified. But they were not.
(The update from 10.2 "Jaguar" to 10.3 "Panther") was an incredible update; Many consider it to be the most significant OS X upgrade to date. It sported many new useful features such as Exposé, FileVault, Fast User Switching, iChat AV, and a revamped Finder. It also sported a major update to Aqua, giving it a much more refined, toned-down, professional look.
And the upgrade to Tiger was not a lean one either:
Mac OS X 10.4 sported new features such as Dashboard, Core Image, Safari 2.0, and revamped Mail. It was mainly a “under the hood” upgrade, cleaning up, speeding up, and improving nearly half of the underlying frameworks. One of the more major visible upgrades was Spotlight, a revolutionary new search tool that searches through files and their metadata extremely quickly. Aqua also received minor updates in this release. It would be the first Mac OS X to have a publicly released x86 (Intel) variant.
If you can term all that as worthy of just a service pack and want them for free, you better switch to Linux pronto.

Compare this to Windows XP's service packs (amounting to just two in a span of five years) which basically introduced just a few added security features and a front-end to control them (which keeps bugging you if you are not connected to the internet and have therefore turned off your firewall and/or antivirus).

The problem is that you are accustomed to Microsoft taking a lot of time to update their products and add new functionality. Therefore, it is difficult for you to believe that any company has the capacity of keeping its developers on their toes and staying ahead of their time. Since you cannot digest the fact that Apple can introduce a slew of features on an annual basis, you just gloss over all the noteworthy new features and term them as no more than a supposed-to-be-free service pack.
I hope this post successfully clears some of your misconceptions. :)

(Source for the upgrade summaries)

Last edited:

Aberforth

The Internationalist
This thread was interesting. There was a lot of mud slinging, perhaps the rule of thick skinned really applies here. I don't want to join as I don't have time and since it is 2 am and I can't get sleep I thought to put this up.

I have used MacBook before buying my laptop as my girlfriend was raving about her MacBook 24/7 (maybe it should be called Macitosis, no offense meant :p) and yes, I liked the OS but I bought an HP Laptop with Windows home edition because I got better hardward configuration for less than Rs. 40000 with Windows XP Home, I have better use of those 40000 than get a flaunt value laptop (HP isn't a crap laptop) or even a sleeker OS.

I had virus thrice in Windows, once in email attachments and then in pen drives shared with virus infected public PCs. I don't get spywares as I don't visit warez or porn sites so virus isn't a big concern for me. I find Windows enough for all my use, it did not make me miserable after a few days use of Mac OSX. I could use ISS 6.0, do work on .NET apps, run all games out of the box (esp. my fav Flight Simulator 2004, GTA San Andreas and Age of Empires), get hardware cheaper and I could say I am happy with Windows XP even after using and liking Mac.

I didn't get mad so far or think I've been missing out in life cause I have much more to do in life than sit at my laptop all day to quarrel 'my gun is better than yours'. Again, no offence meant :p

digitadmin said:
You guys are such kids. It's obvious that both PCs and MACs have their advantages, so just choose one and shut up! Some people like skinny women/men, some like fat ones, who cares, it just means that everyone's happy, and everyone gets lucky! Can't you all just be happy?

I can do nothing else but agree...you got a Mac or Windows, be happy. It is a personal choice. Should I start older rambling older girls make better girlfriends and guys who date younger girls are immature? It is my choice and thats it, what is right for me may be unthinkably wrong for you, so just move on that. :D

So concludes my two cents, feel free to throw mud at me as I won't be reading anymore as I have to go to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom