Antivirus Guide & User Reviews.

Please suggest me something that can disinfect files really well. My KIS license expired and its gonna be a while till I renew my subscription. Thanks. Avira isn't working too well for me. Avast can't disinfect. :(

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Please suggest me something that can disinfect files really well. My KIS license expired and its gonna be a while till I renew my subscription. Thanks. Avira isn't working too well for me. Avast can't disinfect. :(

if you have viruses in your pc, then download bitdefender rescue disc and write it on a cd and boot it. scan your whole system for viruses and let it take action for you.
also use bitdefender free antivirus till you renew your subscription of KIS.

hari1

In the zone

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free to the rescue:wink:

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
My friend is connecting with my Laptop through LAN (i.e. He is Accessing My Files from His laptop and copying). By any chance will i get virus infection from him ? (I am not gonna access his files)

ratul

█████████████████
My friend is connecting with my Laptop through LAN (i.e. He is Accessing My Files from His laptop and copying). By any chance will i get virus infection from him ? (I am not gonna access his files)

depends on the virus's design.. :p
but yeah, some viruses do travel through LAN, so a good av with a firewall shall do the trick of keeping it at bay. :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

If you are not any sort of protection then there's very fat chance .. make sure you follow the above suggestion and your friend has only Read access. Also do update windows regularly or use linux ;)

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.

virus comes from web also so they can travel through any unsecured port also...
e.g: trojans sending message to its masters,worms infecting each PC connected on LAN

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Disable public folder sharing. Instead use a specific folder to share files and folders. Let's say it's on D partition and folder name is SHARED. just create the folder on D drive. Right click on it. Select Properties > Sharing > Share > On the Choose People to Share the folder with - click on the drop down button. Select either everyone or your friend's name. Click on ADD. Make sure on the permission side you can only see Read [ or change it if you want to ].

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Disable public folder sharing. Instead use a specific folder to share files and folders. Let's say it's on D partion and folder name is SHARED. just create the folder on D drive. Right click on it. Select Properties > Sharing > Share > On the Choose People to Share the folder with - click on the drop down button. Select either everyone or your friend's name. Click on ADD. Make sure on the permission side you can only see Read [ or change it if you want to ].

Wow.. That was helpful.

TheMost

Simply.. Evolution !!
I was a noton IS fan since 2007 and used it till 2011.Was smooth and silky.

Then I thought of not spending money on AV's since there were good free ones.
Then almost used all free products and ended up with avast AV + comodo combo.
Was satisfied till 2 months back.

There i was not comfortable with comodo (Too many pop ups and defense+ - I thought i dont need this much security)
Removed comdo.

For the past 2 months i have faced 3 browser hijacks and faced great difficulty in restoring them.

Now i have been trolled by wget,speed dial and so malware which were bundled with mipony(?),free you tube downloader(?).

I scanned with avast- No threats and system safe
I checked with HM pro and MBAM - Proved infestation !

Then I tried qihoo total security eith Bitdefender and Avira engines off - Caught some other malware but left weget and speed dial behind.

Now i have installed ESET SS and now 17 infiltrations and counting ...
View attachment 14434

Now i really doubt the quality of avast has gone down these years.

lab results alone doesn't give us the picture. Our experience does!
Now will update whether ESET could remove them all or what ..

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
[MENTION=116261]TheMost[/MENTION],all those infestations are PUP(potentially unwanted programs) not viruses.in Avast 2014 PUP scanning is turned off by default(maybe because of ads support).go to settings--active protection--file system shield(click on configure icon)--sensitivity & tick the scan for PUP option.many AVs comes with PUP scanning off by default or set at low level of protection.that is why you must first explore all AV settings first.

P.S.HM Pro & MBAM scans for PUP by default.

TheMost

Simply.. Evolution !!
[MENTION=116261]TheMost[/MENTION],all those infestations are PUP(potentially unwanted programs) not viruses.in Avast 2014 PUP scanning is turned off by default(maybe because of ads support).go to settings--active protection--file system shield(click on configure icon)--sensitivity & tick the scan for PUP option.many AVs comes with PUP scanning off by default or set at low level of protection.that is why you must first explore all AV settings first.

P.S.HM Pro & MBAM scans for PUP by default.

Thank You for the explanation !
What is your security config ? :p

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
avast(file & web shield) & windows firewall with palemoon+noscript behind modem firewall.though i never see any virus/PUP warning because of my google search skills.:D

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was a noton IS fan since 2007 and used it till 2011.Was smooth and silky.

Then I thought of not spending money on AV's since there were good free ones.
Then almost used all free products and ended up with avast AV + comodo combo.
Was satisfied till 2 months back.

There i was not comfortable with comodo (Too many pop ups and defense+ - I thought i dont need this much security)
Removed comdo.

For the past 2 months i have faced 3 browser hijacks and faced great difficulty in restoring them.

Now i have been trolled by wget,speed dial and so malware which were bundled with mipony(?),free you tube downloader(?).

I scanned with avast- No threats and system safe
I checked with HM pro and MBAM - Proved infestation !

Then I tried qihoo total security eith Bitdefender and Avira engines off - Caught some other malware but left weget and speed dial behind.

Now i have installed ESET SS and now 17 infiltrations and counting ...
View attachment 14434

Now i really doubt the quality of avast has gone down these years.

lab results alone doesn't give us the picture. Our experience does!
Now will update whether ESET could remove them all or what ..

There's some nice experimenet going on here ... Keep us posted. BTW, why did you turned off avira and bitdefender engine while scanning with qihoo 360 ? Is it mandatory to do so ? If not I'm intereste in seeing the test result of these two.

Top Bottom