Antivirus Guide & User Reviews.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
[MENTION=116261]TheMost[/MENTION],all those infestations are PUP(potentially unwanted programs) not viruses.in Avast 2014 PUP scanning is turned off by default(maybe because of ads support).go to settings--active protection--file system shield(click on configure icon)--sensitivity & tick the scan for PUP option.many AVs comes with PUP scanning off by default or set at low level of protection.that is why you must first explore all AV settings first.

P.S.HM Pro & MBAM scans for PUP by default.

+1

Avast still rules the Free AV landscake like a king.

btw, keeping one's PC virus free is not only the task of an AV. the user has to be aware of what he is installing and which all pages he is visiting on his browser. the AV is just a software, the second line of defence.
that being said, i am in no way undermining the importance of the AV. for inexperienced users, AV is still the best chance of protection. but if the user is aware of what he is installing, then there will be no PUP, or any virus/malicious programs for that matter, on his system.

:)

TheMost

Simply.. Evolution !!
There's some nice experimenet going on here ... Keep us posted. BTW, why did you turned off avira and bitdefender engine while scanning with qihoo 360 ? Is it mandatory to do so ? If not I'm intereste in seeing the test result of these two.

Both my desktop and Laptop is having the same trouble.
I have already repaired by desktop with ESEt,Mbam,Hitman.

Suddenly had some job to do .. Will report you abt qihoo soon on my laptop ASAP .kinda big ASAP :)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Qihoo 360IS is now a dead product(it will get definitions update but no major improvements),they are now focusing on qihoo TS(total security) which according to many is not as stable as IS.in my opinion Avira free is now a very good option with just a negative of increased boot time.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I used to be a big fan of Kaspersky since the times when it made a screeching sound of virus detection :p, but over time, it has gone bit resource taxing.

ESET, avast, Avira are all easy on system, but Avast often lets viruses escape, faced quite a few times. Using ESET since 2009, and very very much satisfied.

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
How to completely un install mcafee and it's services??. It's still running in background after I have installed another av (avg). And I can't manually delete those files in C:/program files/McAfee

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
How to completely un install mcafee and it's services??. It's still running in background after I have installed another av (avg). And I can't manually delete those files in C:/program files/McAfee

have you tried the safe mode? if it fails, then the easiest way is to boot to ubuntu and delete mcafee files on windows folder including folders created by mcafee on system32.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I posted this after doing that only.
Still some files exist and the services also run in background.

1. open task manager -> processes tab
2. right click on any process that may relate to McAfee. click open file location.
3. go back to task manager, right click on that same process -> click Go to service(s)
4. stop that service from right click menu
5. repeat for all other McAfee services
6. delete all the files from file location

Alternate method:
1. install Iobit Unlocker
2. drag and drop mcafee folder into unlocker window
3. check Forced Mode
4. click on down arrow -> Unlock & delete

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
1. open task manager -> processes tab
2. right click on any process that may relate to McAfee. click open file location.
3. go back to task manager, right click on that same process -> click Go to service(s)
4. stop that service from right click menu
5. repeat for all other McAfee services
6. delete all the files from file location

do you think an antivirus service can be stopped in this way??

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Re: Antivirus Guide & User Reviews.

do you think an antivirus service can be stopped in this way??

i stopped avast's services using this method 2-3 times,

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: I had also removed Trusted Installer as the owner and one of the administrators of C drive and gave full permissions to my user account and made it the owner, prior to using this method.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Re: Antivirus Guide & User Reviews.

i stopped avast's services using this method 2-3 times,

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: I had also removed Trusted Installer as the owner and one of the administrators of C drive and gave full permissions to my user account and made it the owner, prior to using this method.

that is the weakness of the program itself. so it is very easy is to attack a pc with avast since a simple code will stop all of its services! most antiviruses does not allow this. ESET allowed it in the past, dont know now but majority doesn't.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^avast is not that easy to penetrate otherwise it would be scoring poorly in various tests.also a good malware can disable any AV services as it acquires the same kernel privileges as AV through means of an exploit.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
^^ what i could find form google is that avast service can't be killed from task manager. may be, he has done it with very older version of it. dont you think it is easy to penetrate when the service can be simply suspended/terminated by using easy killing process from task manager?

Top Bottom