Antivirus Guide & User Reviews.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
acc to the test ( above link ) Bitdefender IS suite 2013 is the best and the 550 bucks price tag is not too much - very good.

BTW, I found something interesting :
Google Translate

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Just FYI new AV-test results are out, note that the FREE ZoneAlarm Antivirus + Firewall (which uses Kaspersky Anti-Virus engine) performs almost as well as Kaspersky itself:

AV-TEST - The Independent IT-Security Institute: Sep/Oct 2012

I personally think that as far as free goes you can't really get better than ZoneAlarm.

You can also look at other products you may be interested in or are using.

According to it, Avast and AVG are better than ESET and even par with Kaspersky. That's not at all acceptable.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
Well, ESET hasn't been doing particularly well lately. Avast and AVG are quite in the same league these day as Eset. For example, AV-comparatives' September 2012 On-demand comparative:

AVG - 98%
Kaspersky - 99.2%
BitDefender/eScan/BullGuard - 99.2%
ESET - 97.4%

But, if a product does well enough to get certification (i.e. it doesn't fail the tests) it is already good enough, actual differences won't be that significant unless you are a very high-risk user who comes across malware frequently (multiple times a day, or you work in cleaning computers of malware). So do not worry, continue using Eset if the product and it's support are satisfactory to you.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
According to it, Avast and AVG are better than ESET and even par with Kaspersky. That's not at all acceptable.

these are monthly (or issued per 2 month) issues, Avast may detect better at certain point thanks to updates or at other times miss some if database is not fully updated. And i agree, ESET is the most consistent performer but that comes at a price when avast is free.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
these are monthly (or issued per 2 month) issues, Avast may detect better at certain point thanks to updates or at other times miss some if database is not fully updated. And i agree, ESET is the most consistent performer but that comes at a price when avast is free.

IMO price is the only thing which has pushed Avast up.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
Re: Antivirus Guide & User Reviews.

"Some" products update themselves quite significantly at times when testing is expected to commence, since it is a matter of a good guess as to when testing begins since there is a definite timeframe for release of results :D

ESET is a much better company NOW than it used to be in the past. In the past they were adamant about detecting trojan horses, claiming their product is an Anti-virus only, etc. - Eset was a company who strove hard to do well in tests, and tests only, whereas other products did much better in the real world. In recent years ESET has cleaned up their act but their performance these days is always quite average rather than somewhere near the best :)

dashing.sujay said:
IMO price is the only thing which has pushed Avast up.

Testing has nothing to do with the price of the product. Avast does provide a relatively reliable product for free.

In the real world these differences in detection and repair aren't really significant (unless you compare a product that failed with one that passed), you shouldn't worry that another product scores better than what you use. Support, stability, performance and satisfaction matters. For example I have used AVG for many years, but as of late their support really takes very long to respond and hasn't been satisfactory. So I will have to change in the future. But it has protected me well despite the fact that in 2006-07 AVG was scoring like 93% in tests, meaning it was far from the best, but extremely average.

topgear said:
BTW, I found something interesting :
Google Translate

I have something better for you with a GUI and it's called Hitman Pro:

Home - SurfRight

:)

It's a great tool for a second opinion scan. Also, you can try Dr.Web's free scanner at Dr.Web, they are a Russian vendor who have decent detection rates and are VERY good at cleaning infections.

Also, eScan's free scan and clean tool with BitDefender engine: eScan : Secure ? Scalable ? Reliable : Antivirus, Content Security and Firewall Protection for Servers and Endpoints

Thanksgiving deals (this week/upto Monday only) if any of you are looking to buy Anti-malware software:

Emsisoft: Double promotion this week, 3 PC license for 1 PC license price + 50% off using coupon code 4B6NMC on Emsisoft website (3 PC license for 1 PC price applies only to Emsisoft Anti-Malware, not the Internet Security Pack)

This means a 3 PC 1 year license of Emsisoft Anti-malware for less than 400 bucks ;)

PC Tools: PC Tools Spyware Doctor + Antivirus for $7.95 and PC Tools Internet Security for $9.95 (Both 3 PC, 1 year licenses).
Downloadcrew Software Store - PC Tools Internet Security 2012 - 84% off MSRP
Downloadcrew US Software Store - discounted downloadable software

BullGuard: Internet Security 3 PC 1-year for $19.95 (~1100 rupees, includes 5GB online backup) and Antivirus for $14.95:

Downloadcrew Software Store - BullGuard Antivirus 2013 - 48% off MSRP
Downloadcrew US Software Store - discounted downloadable software

Note: BullGuard uses BitDefender engine, PC Tools uses Norton engine + own engine but updates only once a day. Also, with PC Tools, program updates are manual, not automatic.

EDIT #2: BullGuard prices are not part of the sale, they have been at that price for a long time now. BullGuard allows for retail renew, i.e. you can buy a new license off this website and register it as a license extension on your account at the BullGuard website. In this way you can get BullGuard much cheaper than the official site :)

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: Antivirus Guide & User Reviews.

yep, there's many more Av's with Multi Engne tech exists but they are all paid apps :
Product – Coranti Multi-Engine AntiVirus & AntiSpyware
Metascan Packages | Scan with 4 to 20+ engines using antivirus APIs

anyway, we all know about virustotal but here's some more websites like this :

VirSCAN.org - Free Multi-Engine Online Virus Scanner v1.02, Supports 37 AntiVirus Engines!
Jotti's malware scan
Online Virus Scan
vscan.novirusthanks.org

Alien

Journeyman
COMODO Internet Security 2013 v 6.0.260739.2674 released!!
NEW! Completely redesigned touch friendly and task oriented user interface.
The new user interface is designed from scratch to make CIS as user friendly as possible. While we kept a lot of advanced settings for the advanced users, novice users will find it very easy to use now.

NEW! Desktop Widget

NEW! Tasks Manager

NEW! Customizable Task Bar

NEW! Drag&Drop area to Sandbox and Scan Files

NEW! Sound effects are used in alert windows to draw users' attention

NEW! Offline virus database update functionality (Import Virus Database feature)

NEW! File Rating Scan functionality

NEW! Rescue Disk feature

NEW! Virtual shortcuts

NEW! Shared Space between real and virtualized environments

NEW! Reboot reminder alerts in multiple places

NEW! Diagnostics being able to download missing files from the Internet

NEW! Keyboard shortcuts support

NEW! The following set of products is now part of CIS:

COMODO Autorun Analyzer

The Autorun Analyzer makes a thorough check on the Start-up items that are loaded during system start-up and shows them as a list with their threat rating. The interface allows you to choose precisely which programs and services are to be enabled and to delete the items that are identified as malware.

COMODO Cleaning Essentials

CCE is a lightweight, portable application which requires no installation and can be run directly from removable media such as a USB key, CD or DVD. Home users can quickly and easily run scans and operate the software with the minimum of fuss. More experienced users will enjoy the high levels of visibility and control over system processes and the ability to configure customized scans from the granular options menu.

Virtual Kiosk

An innovative sandboxed environment to run programs and browse the Internet isolated from your real computer. Applications and browsers run inside the kiosk leave no cookies or history behind on your real system, making it an extremely secure environment for Internet banking and online shopping.

- Prevents malicious websites from installing viruses malware, rootkits and spyware onto your computer and provides protection against hacking

- Features a virtual keyboard that allows you to securely enter user-names, credit card numbers and passwords without fear of key-logging software recording your physical keystrokes

- Enables advanced users to run beta-software in an environment that will not upset the stability or file structure of their production system

COMODO KillSwitch

KillSwitch is an advanced system monitoring tool that allows users to quickly identify, monitor and terminate any unsafe processes that are running on their system. Apart from offering unparalleled insight and control over computer processes, KillSwitch provides you with yet another powerful layer of protection for Windows computers.

IMPROVED! Dramatically improved sandbox and virtualization.
Virtualization has been improved significantly so that more applications are now able to run inside sandbox.
New sandbox allowed us to implement a whole new desktop with its own application ecosystem: Virtual Kiosk.
We have also introduced automatic virtualization of unknown applications for advanced users.

IMPROVED! Lightest and fastest CIS so far!
CIS 6 is the fastest and the least resource intensive product we have released so far. Real-time responsiveness of the PCs improved significantly. Manual scans are now less resource intensive. Second scan speed improvements are dramatic.
Source - Visit here

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
looks good - I might try this only for the NEW! Offline virus database update functionality and IMPROVED! Lightest and fastest CIS so far! - last time I used Comodo I felt the absence of these two features greatly ....

Alien

Journeyman
Yes, features look great indeed. Virtual kiosk is another good feature. But i'll wait for some more updates. Seems Comodo have rushed the release of final version.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
a great read Interviews: Eugene Kaspersky Answers Your Questions - Slashdot also have a small problem with Avira. Thing is it is installed on laptop and I dont use much internet on it. The AV just goes crazy to update and opens atleast 50 dialogue boxes to connect to internet.
how to stop?

Alien

Journeyman
Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition english version released. More details here.

Really good AV for home users who want a set it and forget product. I don't like one thing about it though; if it finds anything it just deletes the 'malicious file' without giving the option to quarantine or mark as false positive. Much like the 'Autopilot' feature in its commercial products i think. No ads / nag screens.

Avira free licence works for me. No excess load on cpu. Also it allows to add exceptions so it won't trouble u for cracks. Also u can either set an action such as quarantine/delete/repair to be automatic upon detection or manual depending upon ur choice.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for sharing - TFS ! ;-)

BTW, this auto deletation can't be disabled from options/config ?/

Minion

Conversation Architect
Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition english version released. More details here.

Really good AV for home users who want a set it and forget product. I don't like one thing about it though; if it finds anything it just deletes the 'malicious file' without giving the option to quarantine or mark as false positive. Much like the 'Autopilot' feature in its commercial products i think. No ads / nag screens.

Thanks for sharing

Alien

Journeyman
@topgear
No settings available AFAIK. It either deletes or sometimes quarantines files. Quarantine comes up only after it has quarantined something. Quote from product page -
A truly intelligent product can take decisions by itself. You will have no checkboxes to tick and decisions to “ok”. Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition works efficiently without requesting input from you.
Maybe they will add that option in future versions.

Top Bottom