Antivirus Guide & User Reviews.

utkarsh73

Journeyman
I installed Kaspersky Internet Security-2012 30-day trial version yesterday.
It is just pathetic!!!:evil:
Its very resource hungry. While processing threats, there were moments when my CPU(Core i3 350M) usage was 100% for a minute:hyper:
And it frustrated me like hell with its pop-up messages:aaargh:
Uninstalled it today and installed Microsoft Security Essentials.

I need some suggestion for a good paid alternative. And if a good combination of freewares can do the job do I really need to buy a paid AV?
What will the best combo?

Last edited:

Blue Ripazah

THE CHOSEN ONE
I need to buy ..internet security...can anyone suggest me ...it shud be light and powerfyl ...i was using ..kaspersky internet security 2011...it was good in detection an healing but was resource hungry...any other alternative ...my budget is around 800-1000...and i want a 3 key version..

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
For 3 key i think you'll only find kaspersky. I got my 3 key 2011 for just Rs750 last year. Others are usually more expensive.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
2012, known to be less resource hungry.

I installed Kaspersky Internet Security-2012 30-day trial version yesterday.
It is just pathetic!!!:evil:
Its very resource hungry. While processing threats, there were moments when my CPU(Core i3 350M) usage was 100% for a minute:hyper:
And it frustrated me like hell with its pop-up messages:aaargh:
Uninstalled it today and installed Microsoft Security Essentials.

I need some suggestion for a good paid alternative. And if a good combination of freewares can do the job do I really need to buy a paid AV?
What will the best combo?

Not really, if you're self aware.

I need to buy ..internet security...can anyone suggest me ...it shud be light and powerfyl ...i was using ..kaspersky internet security 2011...it was good in detection an healing but was resource hungry...any other alternative ...my budget is around 800-1000...and i want a 3 key version..

Go for ESET if you can afford, very less resource hungry, and security at par with Kaspersky.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
have a look at here ;-)

Internet Security Suites Software Review 2012 | Computer Security | Adware Spyware Removal - TopTenREVIEWS

utkarsh73

Journeyman
My laptop was suffering from some kind of infection since 3 months. Some known process like IDMan.exe, BSNL 3G.exe etc. would get corrupted and start using 25-30% of CPU along with a error message repeatedly. When I end that process, some other process would start behaving like that and eventually I have to end approx. 10 processes.
I tried Quickheal 2012, Norton 2012, MSE, KIS 2012(most frustrating and resource hungry security suit ever used!!!) but to no avail. While quickheal was installed, the infection was like in dormant state. But other Anti-viruses failed miserably, especially MSE.
Yesterday I installed Linux Mint-12 inside windows and in its explorer I saw many .exe and .pif files in my root directory and other folders(they were not visible in windows even after enabling the option to show hidden files).
Today I installed Avast 6(first time ever) provided by Digit and did a full scan. It discovered all those .pif and .exe files and removed them:D while other AV didn't even detected it. Its the best Security suit available and that too for free!!!!

One query is, while I was scanning my E: drive whose partition is 248GB, the scan result showed 252GB. How can this happen???

tkin

Back to school!!
My laptop was suffering from some kind of infection since 3 months. Some known process like IDMan.exe, BSNL 3G.exe etc. would get corrupted and start using 25-30% of CPU along with a error message repeatedly. When I end that process, some other process would start behaving like that and eventually I have to end approx. 10 processes.
I tried Quickheal 2012, Norton 2012, MSE, KIS 2012(most frustrating and resource hungry security suit ever used!!!) but to no avail. While quickheal was installed, the infection was like in dormant state. But other Anti-viruses failed miserably, especially MSE.
Yesterday I installed Linux Mint-12 inside windows and in its explorer I saw many .exe and .pif files in my root directory and other folders(they were not visible in windows even after enabling the option to show hidden files).
Today I installed Avast 6(first time ever) provided by Digit and did a full scan. It discovered all those .pif and .exe files and removed them:D while other AV didn't even detected it. Its the best Security suit available and that too for free!!!!

One query is, while I was scanning my E: drive whose partition is 248GB, the scan result showed 252GB. How can this happen???
Compressed data is decompressed during scan and raw file size is reported.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

do a boot scan. in scan setting choose "scan for PUP". it'll detect any illegal (crack, patch, etc) that may bring in trojan or spywares.

compressed files.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

Use WinRAR to view/open/delete any type of file (in case you require). Its the best explorer IMO.

utkarsh73

Journeyman
Use WinRAR to view/open/delete any type of file (in case you require). Its the best explorer IMO.
You are right. I never thought of using winRAR as explorer. Today I explored my E drive using winRAR and surprised to see those .pif and .exe files which were not visible by any means in the windows explorer.
One problem with Avast is, only when I opened the directory using winRAR, it detected(at least it detected then. Rest AV could not even detect) those .pif files and deleted it. It was supposed to find those files automatically. And whenever it deletes some infection, it leaves some .TMP files in that directory. What are those files???

My laptop was suffering from some kind of infection since 3 months. Some known process like IDMan.exe, BSNL 3G.exe etc. would get corrupted and start using 25-30% of CPU along with a error message repeatedly. When I end that process, some other process would start behaving like that and eventually I have to end approx. 10 processes
Also for the above quoted problem, I found that such abnormal behaviour occurs due to some .exe files in the temp directory. Report of Avast showed that the object file is some .exe files in temp folder which are opened by the above processes. Now I don't understand what to do. When I play games they stutter like hell(even Most Wanted sometimes) because all the CPU is being used by other processes.

If anyone understands my problem then please help me....:cry:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
You are right. I never thought of using winRAR as explorer. Today I explored my E drive using winRAR and surprised to see those .pif and .exe files which were not visible by any means in the windows explorer.
One problem with Avast is, only when I opened the directory using winRAR, it detected(at least it detected then. Rest AV could not even detect) those .pif files and deleted it. It was supposed to find those files automatically. And whenever it deletes some infection, it leaves some .TMP files in that directory. What are those files???

This is NOT A PROBLEM. See this- If you browse a folder through WinRAR, then that folder gets loaded in RAM. And anything loaded in RAM undergoes through anti-virus's realtime scan. That's why, Avast detects it when you open it in WinRAR. :)

Those .tmp files could be quarantined items. Delete all quarantined items from main program (Avast). Also you can always turn off the quarantine system, rather direct khallas . :))

Also for the above quoted problem, I found that such abnormal behaviour occurs due to some .exe files in the temp directory. Report of Avast showed that the object file is some .exe files in temp folder which are opened by the above processes. Now I don't understand what to do. When I play games they stutter like hell(even Most Wanted sometimes) because all the CPU is being used by other processes.

If anyone understands my problem then please help me....:cry:

Which "abnormal behaviour" are you talking about? Creation of .tmp files? For getting complete rid of virus I strongly suggest you to do a boot scan. Also, sometimes viruses corrupt .exe's upto an extent where they are non-reparable (either by cleaning or removing virus). The only option is to re-install. Lastly, if nothing works, format :).

utkarsh73

Journeyman
This is NOT A PROBLEM. See this- If you browse a folder through WinRAR, then that folder gets loaded in RAM. And anything loaded in RAM undergoes through anti-virus's realtime scan. That's why, Avast detects it when you open it in WinRAR. :)

Thanks for the info. I didn't knew about that.......

Those .tmp files could be quarantined items. Delete all quarantined items from main program (Avast). Also you can always turn off the quarantine system, rather direct khallas . :))

Which "abnormal behaviour" are you talking about? Creation of .tmp files? For getting complete rid of virus I strongly suggest you to do a boot scan. Also, sometimes viruses corrupt .exe's upto an extent where they are non-reparable (either by cleaning or removing virus). The only option is to re-install. Lastly, if nothing works, format :).
The abnormal behaviour is suddenly a process starts using 25-30% of the CPU. I reinstalled IDM and the problem persists. I still don't understand what should I do. And there must be a solution other than formatting!!!!

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
The abnormal behaviour is suddenly a process starts using 25-30% of the CPU. I reinstalled IDM and the problem persists. I still don't understand what should I do. And there must be a solution other than formatting!!!!

IDM was/is never a memory hogger. If you're using win7, see the performance chart (From task manager), and see which process is eating max CPU over a period of time. Lastly, show me a log of Hijackthis.

utkarsh73

Journeyman
IDM was/is never a memory hogger. If you're using win7, see the performance chart (From task manager), and see which process is eating max CPU over a period of time. Lastly, show me a log of Hijackthis.
This is the "abnormal behaviour" I m talking about. And I have seen it in the performance chart in task manager. I posted a thread about it some 2 months ago.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/software-q/149693-some-terrible-virus-sucking-my-pc.html
But the problem didn't occured afterwards for 1 month. It again started a month ago. Please tell me if you can conclude anything from the attached thumbnail on the above thread.
And yes, I will post " a log of Hijackthis"(don't know what it is).

utkarsh73

Journeyman
Ok. In the process of downloading it.

I don't properly understand what's there in the log file and how it can help solve the problem. I m uploading the log file on mediafire.

Top Bottom