Android or Symbian belle ?

power_8383

Eager to learn.
Hello guys,
In this Diwali I want to gift a handset to my little brother, so please help me.

1. Budget?
---> max budget is Rs. 17,000

2. Display type and size?
---> Any

3. Form Factor? bar, slider, flip?
---> Bar

4. Preferred choice of brand?
---> Nokia, Samsung

5. Preferred input method (QWERTY, touchscreen, numpad, touch-n-type).
---> Qwerty or touchscreen

6. What camera option you want? Please specify need for flash, autofocus, front facing camera.
---> Autofocus, would be better if it has front facing camera

7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
---> you convince me which is better.

8. Preferred connectivity options (3G, Wifi etc)Please specify clearly.
---> Need both 3G and WiFi

9. Preferred applications (Flash, Swype, GPS, etc)?
---> Flash (He wont use GPS or Skype)

10. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, mails, internet, gaming etc)?
---> Internet, Multimedia

11. Any specific mobile phones in consideration?
---> Shortlisted Motorola Defy, Spice MI-410 and Nokia 701
I am afraid my parents won't allow to buy Motorola or Spice. :(

12. Any other info that you want to share
---> If anyone using Motorola Defy or Spice MI-410, then please share your views on them.
Will you suggest me to buy Nokia 701 even if it has fixed focus camera ? :(

Waiting for your replies guys.
Thanks. :)

vgowtham97

Journeyman
If your brother does a lot of gaming and use a lot of apps nothing is better than android.Symbian Belle is a new OS and it needs to be developed.If your brother is not inerested in gaming then,Nokia 701 is a very good phone with a very good screen suitable for multimedia. If you go with android then Motorola defy is the good phone within that budget.But there are lot of new android mobiles in that budget.And,Don't go for SPICE.Their after sales service is not good.

Sarath

iDota
I think introducing him to the Android world would be a better choice at this point.

Better stick with Nokia, Samsung, HTC and Motorola

Avoid spice

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
Symbian Bella is dead on arrival. Android is superior, faster, smoother. Your budget is 17k. You can get the original Galaxy S device for around 18k, or better yet, get him pure Google phone, Nexus S...

OP
power_8383

power_8383

Eager to learn.
If your brother does a lot of gaming and use a lot of apps nothing is better than android.Symbian Belle is a new OS and it needs to be developed.If your brother is not inerested in gaming then,Nokia 701 is a very good phone with a very good screen suitable for multimedia. If you go with android then Motorola defy is the good phone within that budget.But there are lot of new android mobiles in that budget.And,Don't go for SPICE.Their after sales service is not good.

Thanks for your reply. :)

He will play some games on the device for sure.
Can you suggest any new android phone ?

I think introducing him to the Android world would be a better choice at this point.
Better stick with Nokia, Samsung, HTC and Motorola
Avoid spice

Thanks for your reply.
Ok, removed spice from the list.

@ AndroidFan and sygeek

Thanks for your replies.
I cant increase my budget. :(

rajan1311

Padawan
Symbian Bella is dead on arrival. Android is superior, faster, smoother. Your budget is 17k. You can get the original Galaxy S device for around 18k, or better yet, get him pure Google phone, Nexus S...

i assume you have already had an hands on? cos i have, and its not so bad as you say it is...

only real thing holding it back is community support.... the screen on the 701 is very good...

also, 701 is NOT fixed focus...

kiranm516

Revolutionary
Around 17K these are good
Samsung Galaxy SL - 17.9K
LG Optimus Black - 18.9K
Sony Xperia Ray - 18.9K

Also check out SE Xperia Mini series around 15K

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
rajan1311 said:
701 is NOT fixed focus...

I hate to say this, but it is FIXED FOCUS :-(

mitraark said:
Samsung Galaxy ACE maybe ?? :-D

i've heard it is quite popular.

It is popular, but not for good reasons :-D

@power_8383
Defy or Galaxy S, make ur pick!

Symbian Belle maybe smoother than its previous installments, but still no match for Android. It's just a multimedia phone (atleast for me)!!!

vgowtham97

Journeyman
Samsung Galaxy ACE maybe ?? :D

i've heard it is quite popular.
Don't go for ACE.It is not worth it's price.
Thanks for your reply. :)

He will play some games on the device for sure.
Can you suggest any new android phone ?
There are lot of phones at that price point.Some of them are:

1.Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo V[The phone that best suites you in this price range]

2.Samsung I9003 Galaxy SL[Lacks flash]

3.HTC Salsa[Only 800Mhz Processor]

4.HTC Desire[Specs are good but battery backup is very bad and a very old phone too]

5.Samsung Galaxy S[Very good screen but lacks flash and 1k higher than your budget]

6.Samsung Google Nexus S.[Wonderful phone but you need to extend your budget]

7.LG Optimus Black[You need to extend your budget]

8.Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray[You need to extend your budget]

9.Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo[You need to extend your budget]

Check out these phones and find which suites you the best.

Remember you can use coupon "ICICILB" on Letsbuy and "AMEXEBAY02" on Ebay "Deals of the week" products.

rajan1311

Padawan
but i did use it, focused fine on nearby objects..(my text book)...

dunno why nokia does this, they had auto focus on older phones (C6), now why have fixed focus..

aroraanant

Explorer
My suggestions for u according to ur budget:
SE Neo V and Ray but remember SE sucks in terms of service.costs 17 and 18k respectively
HTC Desire(old one but this phone is really very good,but its batter back up is not that good) costs 15.5k
if u feel like then also check out HTC salsa which costs around 14k
Or u can simply consider Moto Defy for 13-13.5 but I have heard that now a days Motorola also sucks in terms of service
Galaxy S but u need to extend ur budget for that and also there is some problem in its gps and it also lacks flash

Now choose accordingly

One suggestion for u-If u r spending this much amount then please go for Android and nothing else like symbian etc they are totally crap

Soumik

Padawan
At 17K budget, try and get Nexus S or Galaxy S from ebay.
Other option would be Xperia Ray with a slightly smaller screen.
Xperia Neo V would be perfect for your budget.
Other than these, drop your budget to get Motorola Defy.
The spice 410 is a pretty good device and gets updates too(It on gingerbread now). I feel you may better service from Spice ppl than Samsung or Motorola. But Spice M410 is not a spice product.. its a rebranded chinese model.. Huawai Ideos Xsomething. So, if something goes wrong, i doubt Spice will be able to fix it.

neo7585

Right off the assembly line
Contrary to all in this forum, I'd suggest you to go with Nokia 701 with Symbian Belle. The basic reasons being the call quality, battery life and the premium hardware, no android in this price range can match them. Ok, what else? USB OTG, yes it connects to a flash drive and plays divx (720p only) videos without any glitches. The brightest screen(with ambient light sensor, of course) is a joy to use on a full sunny day. NFC, despite being so much new, it's a joy to use with bluetooth enabled headset, just tap the phone's back and headset is paired. FM Transmitter. The only advantage I see on the Androids part is availability of huge number of third party apps, Nokia has been providing all the top 100 apps on Ovi. Games are just awesome(with broadcom 2763 2d/3d GPU). one of the best music players out there(with headphones wh-701 attached) The only disadvatage is the fixed focus camera. Now you think what do 'you want to do? Please let me know.

Top Bottom