Android or Symbian belle ?

socrates

In the zone
When 'Anna' was released for the C7, I heard that NFC is activated after the OS is upgraded to 'Anna'. Apparently the h/w was present all the time but the old OS did not support which 'Anna' does :) This is what I had read in a review has any one tried it out in reality? after all seeing is believing.

Confirmed :D Nokia India - Nokia C7 touch screen smartphone with NFC built in - Specifications

socrates

In the zone
I wonder why the Nokia C7 is still so highly when no one is interested in it I had gone to the Magnet store in Dadar recently & the working model they had, had a dead battery. They frankly told me they never bothered to charge the battery as no one was interested in it :shock:

lll_aritra_lll

A siLLy mIllImEtEr loNGer
Xperia Neo V or Defy... take ur pick
I am using defy and pretty much happy with it, If u wanna know abt defy check the official defy thread

neo7585

Right off the assembly line
Agree with u all the Android guys. But I still don't think at this particular time that Motorola is a good buy, rather go for Sony(any) or Nokia 600. You don't trust Motorola, do you? I don't have any reasons to mention 'coz I don't want all Motorola Defy fans to open attack on me. Sorry Guys, don't take it personally.

Where did you get that information? :O
HTC Desire S and Xperia Ray have Adreno 205
LG Optimus Black and Motorola Defy have PowerVR SGX 530
Nokia 701 has Broadcom 2763. (I dont think 2773 exists)
And all of them support Open GL ES 2.0. The broadcom is a just released, while the other 2 have been there since a looong time. The 530 on my defy was announced back in 2005. So, broadcom uses a new tech to produce the chips, resulting in lower power consumption (probably) than the others. On GPU power, they are all evenly matched(again.. probably cant say without actual benchmarks).
But the big difference comes in the CPU. Broadcom CPU is based on ARM11, while all the others mentioned here use ARMv7 architecture. Obviously it would be far less powerful (though the lite Symbian OS wont need that much power). Your claim of irony... is actually the other way around. ;)
One bright thing about the Broadcom chipset is that it claims to be able to decode as we as record at 1080p. Nokia 701 should have added that feature. Not sure y they are restricting it to only 720p.

You are welcome. True.. Super Amoled screens are present on higher end devices. One thing you missed to notice is that Nokia CB on 701 is not AMOLED(as on C7 or N8). Its an IPS panel. Its blacks are certainly not true blacks. Its blacks are brighter than the ones on Motorola Atrix... which doesnt have anything in its display to highlight. It definitely will consume a lot of battery. (Check preview at GSMAmrena... Its got the exact numbers). Its the brightest no doubt. And sunlight legibility is among the best, but it will not be very power efficient.
For NFC, USB OTG, may be its personal preference, but for me its quite useless. NFC is the future and its gonna change our lives in a big way... but its a far off future for India. :) As you said, some ppl might use its USB OTG with pendrives on trains or other places... Its a good thing to have. Just personally its not something i would have used a lot.

Motorola Defy comes at around 14K now. So i would suggest it over Nokia 600 at 12K. (unless u would be using the unique features that only Nokia provides)
If you do... you can try and get C7. Its priced below 15K i guess. Though that lacks NFC.

ERR.. Sorry buddy, consider that as a typo, yeah that's 2763 and as you say it can help decoding 1080p, hope Nokia will include that in the forthcoming firmware upgrade(Not so likely that Nokia will do that in the nearest future). And I think C7 has somewhat inferior processor and Anna(something that Amoled fans might not mind, at this price). I also love Androids, keep in mind(I had Samsung Galaxy 3 previously), but I hate the unavailability of premium hardware(under 20k) all they are too plasticky. I'd have certainly bought a Nexus S or Galaxy S, if they had alluminium on them.(again subjective, I know many people love to have plastic handsets). Another problem is Call quality and reception, where Nokias are relatively excellent.(My best friend has Desire S and it's not as good a phone as my Nokia). May be Sony has been trying to improve this scenario, but still as far as using-phone-as-a-phone, I'd certainly prefer any Nokia(or say any Blackberry for that matter)
Anyways, I respect all the OSes out there(I even love iOS, but can't afford a cellphone that costs higher than gold) and want to say ultimately it's all about the personal preference and past experiences as well. Everyone doesn't think alike, so what I like may be hated by many others. Therefore, I'd suggest that guy to have a look at every option or decide after a proper hands-on.
That's all for this thread, I apologise if I've hurt anyone's feelings, it was nice talking to you all. Thanx.

OP
power_8383

power_8383

Eager to learn.
There's a group of people who'll find just what they were looking for in the Nokia 701 and there's a group that will completely ignore it because of preconceived notions about Symbian phones.
But take our word for it, the 701 is well worth a look even if you end up buying something else.

Source :- Nokia 701 review: Belles and whistles - GSMArena.com

OP
power_8383

power_8383

Eager to learn.
I have read many reviews warning that text typing is very hard on Xperia Ray and it also doesn't have a dedicated camera shutter button.
It means that you need to press the virtual button on the screen, which might result in a blur photo.

And being a photographer (whatever little knowledge I have) I can say that 8mp camera doesn't make much of a difference when compared with 5mp camera.
Mostly megapixel number matters only when you are printing the photos on paper.

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
power_8383 said:
I have read many reviews warning that text typing is very hard on Xperia Ray and it also doesn't have a dedicated camera shutter button.
It means that you need to press the virtual button on the screen, which might result in a blur photo.

That's because of the small 3.3" screen Ray has.
And virtual button works same as any physical button. Long press to focus, release to shoot.
But its kinda difficult to shoot yourself (nah, not with a pistol ;-))

socrates

In the zone
701 has 16gb internal storage acc to gsmarena..

Nope it's 8GB
Phonebook Practically unlimited entries and fields, Photocall
Call records Detailed, max 30 days
Internal 8 GB storage, 512 MB RAM, 1 GB ROM
Card slot microSD, up to 32GB, buy memory

Nokia 701 - Full phone specifications

Last edited:
OP
power_8383

power_8383

Eager to learn.
The local dealer has quoted me Rs. 16,800 for Nokia 701 and Rs. 17,500 for Neo V

He was not having Neo V in stock hence he gave me the demo of Nokia 701.
I must say I have fallen in love with Nokia 701.

The 8MP fixed focus camera works far better than my expectations.

Its just 60 minutes and I have already started loving the Symbian Belle.
Bought Nokia 701 for my younger brother. :)

Thanks a lot for your valuable input in this topic guys.

My new post is getting merged into previous post. :(

sygeek

Technomancer
The local dealer has quoted me Rs. 16,800 for Nokia 701 and Rs. 17,500 for Neo V

He was not having Neo V in stock hence he gave me the demo of Nokia 701.
I must say I have fallen in love with Nokia 701.

The 8MP fixed focus camera works far better than my expectations.

Its just 60 minutes and I have already started loving the Symbian Belle.
Bought Nokia 701 for my younger brother. :)

Thanks a lot for your valuable input in this topic guys.

My new post is getting merged into previous post. :(
Congratulations! Let's hope you're happy with your purchase. Do try and write us a review. :)

Top Bottom