AMD Trinity & Richland APU Discussion

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
^^Seems to arrive, at least by Nov-Dec 2013 or Jan-Feb 2014(more likely) here in India.If not later.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Exctly. Kaveri will be based on Stream Roller CPU Core and GCN 2.0 Core whereas Richland is based on Tweaked PileDriver CPU Core and GCN Graphics Core. Even AMD has used renaming of Trinity's VLIW4 Graphics Core as HD 7000M series, they have never used exact same name for two different architecture based cards. For example, A10-5800K has HD 7660D, based on VLIW4 but AMD does not have any GCN based Mobile Graphics card with the same name. But in case of Richland APU, A10-6800K has HD 8670D IGP whereas it is confirmed that AMD is already having a GCN based HD 8670M Graphics card with 384 SIMD unit (6 Compute Engine, 16 ROPS). Here is the link: AMD Radeon HD 8670M - NotebookCheck.net Tech

So it is highly unlikely that Richland is going to have re branded VLIW4 IGP again.

Yes, this is good logic. Richland will be GCN. Kaveri will be GCN 2.0.
By the time kaveri arrives, mobile gcn 2.0 would also have arrived.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Exctly. Kaveri will be based on Stream Roller CPU Core and GCN 2.0 Core whereas Richland is based on Tweaked PileDriver CPU Core and GCN Graphics Core. Even AMD has used renaming of Trinity's VLIW4 Graphics Core as HD 7000M series, they have never used exact same name for two different architecture based cards. For example, A10-5800K has HD 7660D, based on VLIW4 but AMD does not have any GCN based Mobile Graphics card with the same name. But in case of Richland APU, A10-6800K has HD 8670D IGP whereas it is confirmed that AMD is already having a GCN based HD 8670M Graphics card with 384 SIMD unit (6 Compute Engine, 16 ROPS). Here is the link: AMD Radeon HD 8670M - NotebookCheck.net Tech

So it is highly unlikely that Richland is going to have re branded VLIW4 IGP again.

thanks for the clarification and I'm sure Richland ( at-least the higher model APUs) will have GCN gfx core.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Richland apu's to arrive on march 19th.

Report: AMD Richland APUs Will Hit Shelves March 19th

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Re: AMD Trinity & Richland APU Discussion

^^ These will have enhanced piledriver cores with even better IPC. They will also make way into FX lineup in june sporting better ipc and even higher clockspeeds.
Am3+ platform has a lot of upgrades to witness and so does fm2.

^^ So soon? Good.

Now let us see some steamroller action :D

Its just improved piledriver but GCN graphics. Amd has said goodbye to VLIW. :)

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Five Kabini APUs planned for June 2013 - 15W to 25W and HD 8000 graphics

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Richland will arrive on 12th March:-

AMD to launch Richland on March 12

And some interesting news about Kaberi APUs:-

AMD’s Fusion Kaveri APU Supports GDDR5 Memory

sukesh1090

Adam young
here is some news.
AMD officially launches Richland mobile APUs
bit of a bad news as it doesn't include seaislands gpu. :-( so i was right about the gpu.:wink:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
here is some news.
AMD officially launches Richland mobile APUs
bit of a bad news as it doesn't include seaislands gpu. :-( so i was right about the gpu.:wink:

Richland looks more like revision of of Trinity. So basically no use waiting for Richland based laptops to appear. Trinity will work fine. Don't think AMD will send out reference laptops like they did with Trinity.

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is bizarre but interesting nevertheless:-

Detailing Richland’s Dual Graphics & GCN Compatibility

Richland may feature GPU technology which was at its pinnacle two years ago but AMD claimed it would be compatible with Sea Islands (Radeon 8000M) discrete cards when used in a Dual Graphics configuration.

Even though mixed Crossfire with identical architectures has been around for a while, this is the first time graphics cores from different architectural generations are able to work in concert with one another in an effort to boost framerates.

Sea Islands’ architecture and Richland’s design may not share much in common from an engineering standpoint but their respective specifications may hint at how AMD created harmony between two dissimilar product generations. Like the Mars Pro, XT and LP, the A10 comes with 384 cores and when combined with the higher clock speeds granted by the Richland refresh, allows the IGP’s performance to roughly equal that of GCN-based discrete chips. Both are also seen as HD 8000-series by AMD’s Catalyst drivers so there won’t be any conflicts there. Hence, it was just a matter of getting the two different architectures communicating with each other; a noteworthy accomplishment which deserves more credit than this small article can provide.

The exact details of how AMD accomplished this mixed architecture Dual Graphics wizardry are a closely guarded secret but supposedly the technology has been around for some time now. Richland simply represents the first time they were able to use it for meaningful performance enhancements.

How this will translate into the desktop space is anyone’s guess right now but we fully expect Richland’s upcoming APUs to also be compatible with GCN discrete cards like the HD 7000-series and OEM only HD 8000-series.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is bizarre but interesting nevertheless:-

Detailing Richland’s Dual Graphics & GCN Compatibility

I'm getting an uncanny feeling about this .. and about the how they accomplished this ? well, AMD must have got some guys from Lucid ;-)

Cilus

laborare est orare
Here is the review of Richland CPU:-
AMD A10-6800K Review: Richland
AMD A10-6700 And A10-6800K Review: Richland Hits The Desktop - Richland APUs Make Their Way To The Desktop

TheLetterD

Will Power
So basically Richland is Trinity Overclocked and with slightly better efficiency.
Glad I didnt wait for it.

And what is this all about "Kaveri" needing a new Socket FM2+?
WHY IS AMD DOING THIS?
They did it before with FM1 and look what it got them, unsold Llano APUs lying around in stores and warehouses(FK).

Is there any chance the current FM2 motherboards will Support Kaveri with a Bios Update? :( There are 2/3 more Pin holes in the Leaked images of FM2+, any chance they are already there in current motherboards? :'(
I have the ASUS F2A85 M LE

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
socket FM2+ will support Trinity and Richland APus but you just can't use an older socket FM2 mobo to use with Kaveri apus and this is what Tom's have to say about this :

The difference between the sockets lies in two pins, two that are covered on the FM2 socket, but uncovered on the FM2+ socket. This means that while 'older' Trinity and Richland APUs will drop right into the FM2+ socket, it also means that the upcoming Kaveri APUs will not fit, or work in the current FM2 socket -- pins will bend.

TheLetterD

Will Power
All that love I had for AMD, gone down the drain.
:C
I bought a 6K motherboard for an entry level system for this very reason that Ill be able to upgrade the APU to a Kaveri one.
Sigh.
I remember that people were talking about being able to upgrade their AM2 to AM2+ and AM3 to AM3+ with a Bios update.
Ah well.
For my future build, Intel Haswell it is.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I remember that people were talking about being able to upgrade their AM2 to AM2+ and AM3 to AM3+ with a Bios update.

I have an ASUS M2NPV-VM board in my desktop. It was AM2 when I bought it but a BIOS update (never got out of Beta though) is supposed to allow AM3 CPUs. I have not actually tested it with AM3 CPU though I have installed this new BIOS sometime back.

--------

Looks like AMD is more interested in improving performance per watt rather than any raw performance increase through generations of APU.

Top Bottom