AMD shows off Phenom II overclocked to 6.3GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

amitash

Intel OCer
2 phenom 2s are listed...
After posting the story, we came across some additional information from several sources. It seems the site has jacked up the prices by about 10 percent over the MSRP. Coupled with traditionally high prices in Australia, it is likely the retail price in the US will end up about 25 percent lower than the $350/300 list price we reported. We don't have any exact numbers, and as we already said, it's a bit too early to have any at the moment. However, if the new Phenoms really do end up priced at $265 for the 940 model and $225 for the 920, they could become a tempting alternative to Intel's quad-core offer.
*www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10665&Itemid=1

265$ for the high end one is a very tempting offer but assuming they perform quite a bit slower than the i7-920 i wouldnt mind spending 30$ more for it as an upgrade lasts a long time...However AMD does have the advantage of AM2+ and ddr2 compatibility..now i wonder how a phenom 2 performs on that setup though...its bound to be lower than the AM3/ddr3 counterparts...This makes it all the more clear that deneb is not here to compete with nehalem but to compete with the C2Qs and as usual they are a generation behind intel.

EDIT: Seems like AMD found out again and took those prices down.:rolleyes:

UPDATE: Someone managed to get a screenshot of that site
source: *forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=357110

*img184.imageshack.us/img184/465/1227645579bb1e93b7d9ye5.jpg
Prices are in AUD

Last edited:

nvidia

-----ATi-----
@damngoodman999: I dont think the Deneb will beat the i7 in anyway..
Considering the i7 gives about 20% increase in gaming performance, the Deneb will have to give more than 35% improvement in gaming performance over the current AMD processors to beat i7...

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
No way that 125w processor is not launched by the AMD they just discontinued , for that they are launching "22XXX series and phenom FX series"

these processor on 56w running & prices are heavily cut down due to forward launch of corei7 processor

• ya i am sure that DENEB is not the competitor for core i7 but in terms , the deneb processor is made on the request for gaming titles

Two processor on the 22XXX series and 2 proc on the FX series
..... the FX series is only the OCing processor with the water cooled model which takes u to the 6 & above core GHz

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
now i will have 2 computers. One for gaming and other for applications. Will be fun :D

nvidia

-----ATi-----
The FX CPUs will be insanely expensive. They wont stand a chance against high end Nehalem... The competition lies in the low end - mid range processor market.. If Deneb is priced at around 200$ (see post#41) and even if its 15-20% slower than the i7 920, it will be worth buying..

now i will have 2 computers. One for gaming and other for applications. Will be fun
lolz

nvidia

-----ATi-----
300-350$ will be too much.. The low end Nehalem 920 can be overclocked to beat the higher end Nehalem 940..

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Okay letz take it like this, AMD releasing 3 CPUs in Jan.

1st @ 249$
2nd @ 279$
3rd @ 329$

Then the third one will fe a Black Edition with Unlocked colck multiplier capable of better OCing than Nehalem in it's budget, the i920 which retails for 299$ ATM

nvidia

-----ATi-----
$329 is pretty good.. But when they come out, the prices of i7 will fall down to about 250-275$..

nvidia

-----ATi-----
The 920 is a very good overclocker.. You can overclock it and make it better than the 940 with stock heat sink.. So AMD processors will have to be cheaper than 920 to survive in the market..

I heard AMD is also releasing a low end AM2(+) only version of 45nm Deneb.
Its called AMD Athlon X4, clocked at 2.8GHz, with 512KBx4 L2 cache and NO L3 CACHE.

Could this possibly be the budget overclocking AMD CPU everyone is hoping for ?

amitash

Intel OCer
^source please
The 920 is a very good overclocker.. You can overclock it and make it better than the 940 with stock heat sink.. So AMD processors will have to be cheaper than 920 to survive in the market..
Yup it IS a great overclocker, now ive overclocked mine more than the 1000$ i7 965 extreme at 3.32Ghz on stock cooler with <80C temps which ive heard is really good for it

nvidia

-----ATi-----
I heard AMD is also releasing a low end AM2(+) only version of 45nm Deneb.
Its called AMD Athlon X4, clocked at 2.8GHz, with 512KBx4 L2 cache and NO L3 CACHE.

Could this possibly be the budget overclocking AMD CPU everyone is hoping for ?
Yeah its codenamed "Propus" and its coming out in Q1 '09. Even the Phenom 920 will be AM2+ and its coming out in Jan with 2MB L2 and 8MB L3 cache.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Well firstly there will be 2 CPUs AM2+ in Jan.

AM3 will come in Feb-March with 9xx and 8xx quad-core series

Propous wil come later by April-June

GauravCJ

Banned
AMD will not be able to touch Intel's market (and abilities) by any means. Their not-so-phenomenal processors were a failure, I won't even go into the joke they labelled tri-core.

Once i7 920's price comes down to an acceptable (read: Indian mainstream) range, it will annihilate most processors from the mainstream market. It's tickling the $1000-ish QX9770 for God's sake!

AMD will sit and watch it's processors die on store shelves, whether it's Denebs of Phenebs, it won't matter.

And for those AMD fanboys screaming AMD will be better for this better for that, let's wait a little. I'm sure the performance charts in the last two years or so has spoken volumes about the capabilities of Intel vs AMD (Phenom 9950 vs QX9770? 6400X2 vs the E8600?), and that is not going to change. I know a lot of people now will scream that the QX9770 is way more costly than the most expensive AMD processor and that AMD beats Intel in the value/price ratios, but that's a pathetic lie too. Intel beats the holy cr.ap out of AMD even in mid, mid-low end and mid-high segments.

Nehalem will EAT Deneb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom