AMD shows off Phenom II overclocked to 6.3GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

4T7

Journeyman
After initial disappointment with the original Phenom processors, AMD showed off its upcoming 45nm ‘Deneb’ desktop chip – now confirmed as Phenom II – for reviewers at an event in Texas this week, and overclocked the second-generation quad-core part to what some observers said was 6.3GHz.

The company reached such clock speeds by using liquid nitrogen at an amazing -196C to cool the processor – apparently the new AMD design works flawlessly from -200C to +100C. Of course not many people have access to such extreme cooling methods but the demo should at least show that the new Phenom II processors are scalable when it comes to clock speeds and quite stable at high frequencies.

The Phenom II parts were also able to hit 4GHz with air cooling and 5GHz with dry ice cooling. By comparison, Intel's top Core i7 processor listed as a 3.2 GHz part has been overclocked to 4.5 GHz on air cooling alone and some claim to have taken it to 5.7GHz using liquid nitrogen. The top Phenom II chip, due out sometime in the first quarter of 2009, will reportedly list as 3.0 GHz off the shelf.

Source

Last edited:

ultimategpu

AMD & ATI FANBOY
Dude why are you wasting time , many of them in this forum wont accept what u say , they always say only one thing "INTEL IS RULING THE PROCESSOR WORLD"

We know What the Real truth is !
After The AMD Shows up Every one Will see !!!

One Thing AMD is the first one to bring up the Easy overclocking Above 6ghz

• what u have mentioned is FX-80&84 phenomFX series this will launch @ 09/feb

FX-84 can be overclocked to 7Ghz , that mind blowing clock speed its truth i know that .... True Gamers Wait for the "DENEB" processor !!!

Kill The upcoming Games with PHENOM FX - 80 & 84

Phenom Fx - 80 & 84 are the gamer series like INTEL C2Duo E8400/8500 . but
Phenom Fx - 80 & 84 can kill the core 2 duo and core 2 quad complete series in Gaming

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
What we have to see is that will they really be faster than Core i7?

Clock speed is not as important as efficiency per clock and power efficiency. Thats what AMD themselves said back in the Athlon 64 days.

EDIT: here is the full source *www.crn.com/hardware/212101254

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
Yes, but the AMD 's new 45nm architecture on 6+ Ghz clock speed means ,,, the games will be running as fast as it can handle no doubt about it , but still now AMD is trying to conquer the gamers and graphical user thats their only passion .......... they are not aiming at the computing .

1. Games always need higher clock speed first to run the games as it is
  2. the future games concentrated on Quad core and low power transistors (45nm & 32nm)
  3. Maximum bandwidth between the GPU & CPU (no doubt AMD is still now ahead on memory bandwidth)

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Dude, 6GHz+ comes at -185C temperature, and 1.9VCore, I dun think someone anyhow wud be doing that for jus gaming.

Hrithan2020

In the zone
Yes, but the AMD 's new 45nm architecture on 6+ Ghz clock speed means ,,, the games will be running as fast as it can handle no doubt about it , but still now AMD is trying to conquer the gamers and graphical user thats their only passion .......... they are not aiming at the computing .
  1. Games always need higher clock speed first to run the games as it is
  2. the future games concentrated on Quad core and low power transistors (45nm & 32nm)
  3. Maximum bandwidth between the GPU & CPU (no doubt AMD is still now ahead on memory bandwidth)

AFAIK, core i7 has better memory bandwidth than the current AMD. But, AMD Phenom II will have comparable bandwidth..
What did you mean by games concentrated on low power transistors? (low power, eventually meaning better overclock possible?).

And I do really hope that AMD becomes really competitive in the 100-500$ range. (Personally, I don't think they will be able to pwn the high-end nehalem,but that is fine;).

@AMD fanboys,
Traditionally AMD has been better at overclocking;but there is no denying the fact that the current intel processors are much better overclockers. But this gap has been narrowing (since the mobo update which tweaked the overclock ability of Phenom) and now with the Phenom II, I really think AMD would go pretty even wrt Intel.

Last edited:

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
seems interesting.6.3GHz on air thats good.
even i wud like to see some gud competiton from AMD in procies.
sud lower prices of Core i7 quicker.

amitash

Intel OCer
What i really want to know is will the phenom-ll be able to overclock and perform better than the intel i7 chips on normal air cooling.. are there any links to the denebs temperatures on air?..I also want to know if the TRUE can fit on the LGA-1366 socket without any additional brackets as Im getting an i7-920 within a week (ordered in the US).

Lolz yeah. Water Cooling is the max us "normal" people can think of. Infact, many OCers, especially casual ones, are also not intrested in getting ANY cooling at all. They want uber overclocks on from cheap CPUs on stock cooling on cheap motherboards. Looking at the way people overclocked Intel's E2160 on a P31 board, I wouldn't blame them for expecting something similar from AMD.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
What i really want to know is will the phenom-ll be able to overclock and perform better than the intel i7 chips on normal air cooling.. are there any links to the denebs temperatures on air?..I also want to know if the TRUE can fit on the LGA-1366 socket without any additional brackets as Im getting an i7-920 within a week (ordered in the US).

After getting i920, don't make any other upgrades.

Straightaway, get HD5870X2 or HD5870X4 next year.

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
No way that 6.5ghz could be on the air , corei7 started giving overclocking issues now what , AMD is no matter what DENEB is full & fully overclocking processor at the extent ..... the engineering sample of DENEB is overclocked to 7ghz on FX-84 (on the water cooling / on the dryice & liquid nitrogen it crossed 8.7ghz)

GAMERS one word wait for DENEB !!!

OP
4T7

4T7

Journeyman
No way that 6.5ghz could be on the air , corei7 started giving overclocking issues now what , AMD is no matter what DENEB is full & fully overclocking processor at the extent ..... the engineering sample of DENEB is overclocked to 7ghz on FX-84 (on the water cooling / on the dryice & liquid nitrogen it crossed 8.7ghz)

GAMERS one word wait for DENEB !!!
When did this happen? any links

And don't use the gamers tag loosely. Gamers also need large cache memory on the CPU and high memory clocks (unlike nehalem's 1333mhz limit, deneb needs to support 2400MHz DDR3 memory) and uber high memory bandwidth.

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
When did this happen? any links

checked out in tube videos ::::

And don't use the gamers tag loosely. Gamers also need large cache memory on the CPU and high memory clocks (unlike nehalem's 1333mhz limit, deneb needs to support 2400MHz DDR3 memory) and uber high memory bandwidth.

If u say memory bandwidth is needed for the gamers means , the phenom 9550,9850 have 1800mhz !!! wat do u say about it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom