AMD shows off Phenom II overclocked to 6.3GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
LN2 dude!!! NOT AIR!!!

ooops...my bad.:(
thnx for correcting me.

What i really want to know is will the phenom-ll be able to overclock and perform better than the intel i7 chips on normal air cooling.. are there any links to the denebs temperatures on air?..I also want to know if the TRUE can fit on the LGA-1366 socket without any additional brackets as Im getting an i7-920 within a week (ordered in the US).

no chance dood.no LGA775 cooler is gonna support the LGA1366 without a change of supporting brackets.since the socket is physically bigger current gen coolers wont support it without changing the bracket.

Last edited:
If u say memory bandwidth is needed for the gamers means , the phenom 9550,9850 have 1800mhz !!! wat do u say about it

Yeah but the cache ? The last time I checked, each core in a Phenom had 512KB L2 Cache and there was a 2MB shared slow L3 cache. Compare this to the Core2Quad Q9550's 12MB shared L2 cache.

Thats it for gaming. Lets see other things about AMD, shall we ?

Lets now look at clock to clock performance. The most powerful phenom, clocked at 2.66GHz, only manages to tie to the cheaper Core2Quad Q6600 clocked at 2.4GHz and looses miserably to Core2Quad Q6700 at 2.66GHz.

For avoiding guys who start shouting that Phenom is still 65nm and hence I can't bring in CPUs from Intel which are 45nm, in my previous clock to clock comparison I considered only 65nm intel CPUs.

But NOW, lets see the real market situation in terms of absolute performance. Phenom X4 9550BE, the best AMD has to offer. Priced at 11.5K. Lets give it an overclocking 4.2K Jetway 780G/SB750 board shall we ? And lets compare it to a 9K Core2Quad Q8200, clocked at 2.33GHz and with 4MB L2 cache(same as AMD) in a MSI P45 Neo-F motherboard at around 6K. Now, lets give both some cheap 2K air cooling. Benchmarks put the budget quad core Q8200 of being able to do 4Ghz, while the enthusiast phenom manages 3.5Ghz. And benchmarks ? Intel is waaaaaaay ahead of AMD in all respects, and in gaming it leads AMD by a huge margin.

Did you know that Phenom K10 carried only a few improvements over Athlon 64 K8 architecture ? And this Phenom failed to overthrow even Intel's cheapest offerings. How do you expect it, with a die shrink, to perform to the level of Nehalem, a completely new and improved architecture from Intel taking all the advantages of Penryn and adding measures to combat all of AMD's strong points and also having lots of improvements in energy efficiency ?

AMD have themselves stated that they do not intend to compete with Intel Core i7 with Denebs. I have a lot of respect for AMD, but I am not like one of you fanboys who go about bashing intel whenever you get a chance to, and that without any base for the arguement.

I doubt AMD can win back the ultimate performance crown in Desktop sector before the release of AMD Bulldozer.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
^^True, cuz recent speculations tell that PhenomII wud actually end up competing with Q9xxx series in performance terms.

GauravCJ

Banned
It's funny how majority people get excited on seeing something hit the 6.3GHz mark. Fancy aside, how many even realize that their wallet wills lighten a lot when purchasing an aftermarket liquid cooling system? much less a liquid nitrogen system which would cost all the kidneys of their families put together?

It's funny how majority people get excited on seeing something hit the 6.3GHz mark. Fancy aside, how many even realize that their wallet wills lighten a lot when purchasing an aftermarket liquid cooling system? much less a liquid nitrogen system which would cost all the kidneys of their families put together?

Actually, a basic liquid (water) cooling system costs only Rs. 2,400. And cheap quality air cooling around 2,200. Below that there are different varieties of air cooling, with cheaper than cheap stuff available. But all that is usually for the 4GHz range, which itself should be enough for most people.

GauravCJ

Banned
Actually, a basic liquid (water) cooling system costs only Rs. 2,400. And cheap quality air cooling around 2,200. Below that there are different varieties of air cooling, with cheaper than cheap stuff available. But all that is usually for the 4GHz range, which itself should be enough for most people.

Correct, but if you read my post again, you'll see I was referring to the cooling apparatus required to reach the 6.3GHz mark, not the mainstream coolers used for hitting 4GHz.

nvidia

-----ATi-----
How it performs at stock is what really matters to most people.. I dont care if it can go till 6 or 7. Just shows the capabilities of the architecture. But in the real world, i dont understand its purpose.

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
Did anyone checked this:
*img230.imageshack.us/img230/2375/218928nt3.th.png

It doesn't matter what the clock speed is. At 1.9V it requires enormous amount of power! The performance-per-watt theory fails here which AMD been yelling ever since Core 2 Duo launched.
But i still hope the new Phenom II will bring some competition for Core i7 desktop variant. But so far Intel is a clean dominator.

Last edited:
How it performs at stock is what really matters to most people.. I dont care if it can go till 6 or 7. Just shows the capabilities of the architecture. But in the real world, i dont understand its purpose.
Not really. If that was so, then AMD Athlon X2 would be ruling the lower end market now. But thats not the case, since people want headroom for performance improvement.
Did anyone checked this:
*img230.imageshack.us/img230/2375/218928nt3.th.png

It doesn't matter what the clock speed is. At 1.9V it requires enormous amount of power! The performance-per-watt theory fails here which AMD been yelling ever since Core 2 Duo launched.
But i still hope the new Phenom II will bring some competition for Core i7 desktop variant. But so far Intel is a clean dominator.
+1

nvidia

-----ATi-----
I really don't think the Deneb will be a serious competitor for the Corei7.. Should be better than the older Intel Quads that are available now..

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
I really don't think the Deneb will be a serious competitor for the Corei7.. Should be better than the older Intel Quads that are available now..

may be in multitasking corei7 can outperform the DENEB , but DENEB is really meant for gaming and only gaming .

corei7 proc are now equal to the c2duoE8400/8500 in GAMING

• DENEB is not a competitor to any Intel processor on COMPUTING
  • DENEB is designed for the gamers for the future games

Processor needed for games to run efficient

1. higher edition of DENEB has 6MB of L2cache & 8MB of L3cache
  2. the ordinary edition has 4MB L2cache & 6MB of L3cache
  3. very higher "HYPER TRANSPORT" bandwidth 2000-3000 mhz
  4. 45nm architecture
  5. Designed to run the gaming & graphics applications

DENEB USES BOTH THE DDR2 AND DDR3 modules [ happy in price matters]:p

good news DENEB is launching in JANUARY 09

*www.overclockersclub.com/news/23426/

Last edited:

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard

NOt shud be, is better than present C2Q.

But it depends on the DDR3 MEM as AMD CPU's depend a lot on the MEM and timings which help increase bandwidth more than INTEL

amitash

Intel OCer
AFAIK core i7 gives a big performance boost in gaming in crossfire or SLI configs
EDIT: heres the source: *www.guru3d.com/article/core-i7-multigpu-sli-crossfire-game-performance-review/6

As u can see for crossfire/SLI users this procy is gamers heaven..At a resolution of 1600x1200 it gives roughly anywhere between 20-40% increase in performance for 4870 cf...HUGE improvements for 4870x2 cf

Last edited:

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
seriously in application terms and multitasking performance "corei7" can beat

remember DENEB is for gaming it actually has higher clock speed everything made for gaming . corei7 will never beat DENEB in gaming

Deneb performance is twice the power E8500 in gaming !!!

amitash

Intel OCer
^Dont count your chickens before they hatch...we have to play the wait and watch game

Of course the one number to rule them all. What kind of an effect does X58 have on the 3DMark vantage score ? Well have a look. For each card/setup I also included the results taken on the Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz platform.

So the 3-way SLI GeForce GTX 280 based X58 system gives back a P score of ~25000 points whereas the same 3-way setup on a 3.0 GHz Core 2 Duo 680i based system gives back only 12219 points.
Theres twice the performance for you albeit on a very high end setup...same source as before

EDIT: Also at higher resoultions games are really more gpu dependent than CPU...If u further read that article you will see that an i7 965 OCd to 3.7Ghz is barely an improvement in gaming over stock

Lol, anybody who ignores multitasking is a big a$$.

Unless AMD does something to match intel's 2 threads per core ability, it would be at a great risk of loosing even more market share.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom