AMD Radeon HD 6950 unlocked

rchi84

In the zone
Hi guys

I am happy to share some news. I have purchased a new mid range gaming rig and have ordered a Gigabyte Radeon 6950 2GB version. From what I can tell so far, it is the reference version with dual bios.

The system should arrive in a couple of days and I will keep you guys posted on whether I am able to unlock the additional shaders and whether I am able to reach the 6970 clocks.

For anyone interested, I will also describe the process, irrespective of my success or failure

Fingers crossed :)

Last edited:
OP
rchi84

rchi84

In the zone
@funkysourav I mentioned it on the April buying guide thread, but this is the config I went with:

Core i5 2400
gigabyte ph67 B3 motherboard
4GB DDR3 1333 Kingston
Western Digital Black 1TB
CM 850 Silent Pro
CM Haf 912 ATX
Samsung p233t monitor
Gigabyte RAdeon 6950 2GB

I know the PSU is overkill, but I might add another 6950 a year later, if my system lags (unlikely i know ;) )

I decided that I could give up the 2500K and the CPU Cooler, to upgrade my GPU from a 6870 to 6950, and since the 2400 can perform at i7 950 levels, I'm more than happy with my decision.

No gaming k/b mouse because I had to fit Windows in my config. As costly as my mobo man :(

OP
rchi84

rchi84

In the zone
hi Jas

The monitor is 2333t. Hadn't heard of it before, but it was available at a decent price, and Full HD. The response time isn't the greatest, but I am more of an RTS guys, so I can live with it lol

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
hi Jas

The monitor is 2333t. Hadn't heard of it before, but it was available at a decent price, and Full HD. The response time isn't the greatest, but I am more of an RTS guys, so I can live with it lol

oh i see. but superb purchase. congrats once again.:)

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
hi Jas

there aren't many good RTS around these days
this genre sadly seems to be dying under the weight of mindless FPS'

OP
rchi84

rchi84

In the zone
ok. slight change in config. they ran out of CM HAF 912 cases, and have instead given me the 690II Nvidia edition, for a slightly higher cost.

i5 2400 - 9500
Gigabyte ph67 B3 - 7000
4 GB Kingston DDR3 1333 - 2400
WDD 1TB Black - 3400
CM 690II - 5000
CM 850 Silent Pro - 7200
Samsung p2333t - 8000
Gigabyte Radeon 6950 2GB - 15000

I already had an APC UPS with me, so I didn't buy that, plus a cousin of mine gifted me a logitech G1 k/b mouse combo.

so grand total of 58000. Then I had to shell out 6000 for windows 7 Home premium 64 bit :(

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ yep, I'm also interested to know - most of the dealers don't have have high end gfx cards from gigabyte ( though they should have ).

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Gigabyte 6950 2gb @ 15k is a sweet deal. Ideal for a cfx setup and gaming at higher resolutions.

OP
rchi84

rchi84

In the zone
alright guys. my system arrived yesterday and I've been tweaking away. here are my results.

first off, flashing your GPU is a risky thing if you don't know what you're doing. be very careful before you go ahead.

my method of choice was to use my existing bios and unlock the shaders and reflash it. to do this, i used the following (Google these and get the latest versions):

1) GPU-Z
2) Radeon Bios Editor
3) Ati Winflash

step 1. Fire up GPUZ and note your card details. My screen looked like this:

*img291.imageshack.us/img291/2295/1gpuz.png

step 2. as shown in the following image, click on the small button and export your current Bios to a folder of your choice. I named it 6950.bin

*img585.imageshack.us/img585/6421/2gpuz.png

step 3. Time to load the Radeon Bios Editor. After it launches, click on the Load Bios button, as shown. Load the Bios you'd saved earlier. Mine was the 6950.bin

*img718.imageshack.us/img718/3138/3rbeloadbios.png

Once I did this, my screen looked like this.

*img852.imageshack.us/img852/4169/4rbebiosloaded.png

Step 4. Click on Additional features, as shown in this pic:

*img805.imageshack.us/img805/4171/5rbeadvanced.png

This will lead you to a screen like this:

*img857.imageshack.us/img857/4108/6rbeshaderunlock.png

The circled area is where the magic happens. Select the "6970 shader count". Then go to the bottom of the screen, where the option to save the bios is located. I saved it with the name "6970". don't bother with file extensions.

Step 5 . Make sure you download the latest version of ATI Winflash. the reason I say this is, the older versions weren't compatible with windows 7 64 bit. Run the program and you'll get this screen:

*img62.imageshack.us/img62/2592/7atiwinflash.png

select load image, as shown, and then you go to the folder where you saved the modded bios. once you do that, the option next to load image, called "Program" is activated. this is the button that flashes your modified bios onto the card. Before you press this, make sure that the BIOS switch on the 6950 is at slot 1. if it is, go ahead and press "Program".

the flashing process begins and then asks you to restart. Cross your fingers, like i did and restart the system.

Step 6. Launch GPU-Z as soon as you restart and hopefully, you'll see the screen that i saw :)

*img268.imageshack.us/img268/3337/8success.png

Yes. I unlocked the additional shaders and my card ran 3d mark vantage fine without artifacts.

I am pretty happy with the results so far, and I don't think i will OC the card, as it handles everything barring Metro 2033, at max details. I don't want to risk frying my memory chip and can live with 4xAA :D

So there you have it. pretty easy process as long as you're careful.

and yeah, I go the rest of my system from Delta, but the graphics card was found in a small shop in Ritchie street after an afternoon of searching. the guy was friendly and told me that the card had arrived only last week. I double checked to make sure the price was right. 15K was what he charged in the invoice, but added 1.5K in VAT when he delivered. so yeah, i paid about 16.5K in total.

Still happy with my purchase though. I kind of trust gigabyte more than sapphire and powercolor to be honest.

oh, and quick question. how do you modify a thread title after creating one?

Reactions: ico
Top Bottom