AMD Bulldozer News and Discussion

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
BD isnt a fail. It does what they made it for and it costs much less.

@Sukesh: The windows 7 patch WILL come out next year.

sukesh1090

Adam young
^^BD costs less because it didn't performed up to the mark and look at its power consumption.so BD is still a baby in that technology it needs to mature so it need some time and we hope AMD have that time in their hands.

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
Yeah Anandtech review makes things pretty clear... Although I have to say... that they conclude with this is not right... and we need to do a more detailed review again.

Nonetheless 8/16 bulldozer doesnt gain much(or at all) vs its 12 core older brother...

3 Questions @ AMD -

1. Why is Phenom II not coming in 32 nm?? It performs nearly as good in multi core vs BD and IPC is soooo much better, K10.6 has even up the ante with 6% higher IPC vs K10.5!!!!

2. Why is Trinity coming with PD cores?? Its IPC will only drop with PD cores and multi core performance of PD is not going to be good if you see K10.6 vs FX4100 benchmarks.. you can see where 4100 stands....!!!AMD FX-4100 Quad Core 3.6GHz Bulldozer Processor Review - The AMD FX-4100 CPU - Legit Reviews

3. When is 3870K is coming out??? (6% higher IPC than deneb & hoping that it will reach ~4.6Ghz on air... seems pretty decent.. for ~7k INR)

mrcool63

Journeyman
considering the 8150 now retails for 14k and 2600k at 18k... BD is now vfm.. almost touching 2600's performance in a few benchmarks and beating it in highly threaded ones.. good buy..

down point is still TDP.. so you need a good motherboard and psu in addition to a cooler..

Piyush

Lanaya
meh....different sites...different reviews
I would not bother looking at BD benchmarks knowing that current OSs are not able to work out with BD processors
2013 is the year I'm looking for

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Clarification from AMD. The Desktop 6-core Bulldozer transistor count was 1.2 billion, not 2 billion. PR debacle. And I'm happy that they sacked almost all of their PR.

AnandTech - AMD Revises Bulldozer Transistor Count: 1.2B, not 2B

This thread remains locked though.

One more thing:

AMD Bulldozer A Surprisingly Sell-Out Sales Success. Victims: Phenom II & Athlon II | techPowerUp
According to this P2 and A2 are discontinued and will be available till stocks last.

Credits to sunny10 for posting this.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thread is cleaned up and back now.

AMD 'Bulldozer' gets an Update from Microsoft. | techPowerUp

Today Windows updater may have brought "Bulldozer" users a little surprise. A hotfix that increases the AMD flagship processors performance. As this "hotfix" is bleeding edge news any benchmarks have yet to be seen but this confirms Windows 7 was in fact hampering “Bulldozer” from performing at 100% in all prior benches. What percentage it was previously performing at has yet to be determined. Here is a small snippet from the Hotfix release notes.

This article introduces an update that optimizes the performance of AMD Bulldozer CPUs that are used by Windows 7-based or Windows Server 2008 R2-based computers. Currently, the performance of AMD Bulldozer CPUs is slower than expected. This behavior occurs because the threading logic in Windows 7 and in Windows Server 2008 R2 is not optimized to use the Simultaneous Multithreading (SMT) scheduling feature. This feature was introduced in the Bulldozer family of AMD CPUs.

again posted by sunny10. :)

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm wondering whether it will improve anything. Expect it to be a tid bit improvement here and there. Plus, further patches being released.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think if the top 3 have enough improvement to separate them from 1100XT, that will do. But whether such magic is at all possible, is a big question. ;)

Plus the patch is not available publicly atm. Looks like work in progress...

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some results: The 1st windows 7 scheduler patch results are IN. Have fun!

Improvement is only being seen in games.

sukesh1090

Adam young
Nah.They are just 2 games and cinebench and that too not tested in correct methodology.but still gives some idea.thanks ico.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess the FX6200 benchmarks would be interesting after this patch. Hopefully, they have done something to the power consumption to the very least.

Top Bottom