Am I being Ripped off here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krow

Crowman
I was as ignorant as u one day...then a guy nickamed(he's a god) "Sorcy" taught me about Power and PSUs..bah ...humbug

I won't waste my time arguing with arrogant and mannerless 15 year old kids anymore. I wish "Sorcy" had taught you some manners kid!

Last edited:
OP
T

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Coming back to Point.

I am buying Cosair VX450W. And I never SLI or vicevera so I guess this PSU can suffice most single cards out there.

Only damn thing is I am unable to find anyone from Mumbai to ship the parts to my place in Chinchwad-Pune. Itwares.com guy is not even replied to my mails which I sent twice :(

Krow

Crowman
ITWares.com said:
Contact - Rahul - 09223228195 / 022 - 65254360 /022 - 66587565 / 022 - 66587585

The VX450W is a great PSU, but I say, just for the sake of being future proof, please have a look at GlacialTech 650W and Antec EA650 both available @ around 4.5-5k. Its just 1k more and will ensure that you can run any system on it with ease. So, no need to upgrade PSU later. However the VX450W is a great choice IMO.

rohan_mhtr

Most wanted
LOL imagine a Core i7 and HD5850 X2 on a rig for browsing....:razz::razz::razz:

FYI - 'm not 15
Dude !! whats wrong with u ? cant u understand a simple joke .
The threadstarter never said he is gonna upgrade his system with an i7 and crossfire it wit 5870 , he has particular set of hardware and he wants to know whats best and cheap for him . Its like someone wants a music system for his maruti and you are telling him to buy a ferrari !!

Krow

Crowman
The threadstarter never said he is gonna upgrade his system with an i7 and crossfire it wit 5870 , he has particular set of hardware and he wants to know whats best and cheap for him . Its like someone wants a music system for his maruti and you are telling him to buy a ferrari !!
Please don't reply to his offtopic posts. Why are you encouraging him to go further offtopic just so that he can prove his point with some more "LOL... I am the king" posts?

Xeno

AMD - Aaja Meri Darling
I am just not that sure about the coolermaster 460W Real Power Pro (the one to go for rather than extreme power) or VX450 Corsair. What is the maximum power that can be consumed on the rig ?

Let's say what would be the total power draw for all the components

Processor (OC'ed)
Motherboard + RAM
GPU (Oc'ed)
HDD ( 1 or more , depending on disk capacity)
Optical drive under load (DVD burning process / Continuous data transfer)
Cabinet fans

let's say Tech_wiz has a system suggested in here with either the real power pro or vx450, what would be total load on the PSU ? Its better to have some headroom for more juice, just in case. As techalomaniac suggested, a 650W PSU would be really the most one can need, even if you have dual GPU's and loads of HDD's.

I know im being paranoid by including the fans and optical drive :D

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Hey..

Have been reading this thread past few days...am going to be really judgmental. Not sure if I have that authority. Well below are my comments:

LOL so u think u can run a i7 965 + HD5850 CFx on the Gigabyte 460W...

If so, then u hav a lot to learn about power supply, TDP and their affect on product life, dependency on cabinet temperature filter and cooling, the overall life of the entire system and so on.....

Why is this configuration even mentioned. The OPs system/future purchases are far from this. Does not make sense quoting i7 and 5xxxx (and that too Xfire)

I was as ignorant as u one day...then a guy nickamed(he's a god) "Sorcy" taught me about Power and PSUs..bah ...humbug

Yes, we all have gained knowledge somehow/somewhere. Though that does not mean, we got to be sarcastic to others about it.

LOL imagine a Core i7 and HD5850 X2 on a rig for browsing....:razz::razz::razz:

FYI - 'm not 15

Again no need to quote a configuration that is not even remotely to the OP.

I am just not that sure about the coolermaster 460W Real Power Pro (the one to go for rather than extreme power) or VX450 Corsair. What is the maximum power that can be consumed on the rig ?

Let's say what would be the total power draw for all the components

Processor (OC'ed)
Motherboard + RAM
GPU (Oc'ed)
HDD ( 1 or more , depending on disk capacity)
Optical drive under load (DVD burning process / Continuous data transfer)
Cabinet fans

let's say Tech_wiz has a system suggested in here with either the real power pro or vx450, what would be total load on the PSU ? Its better to have some headroom for more juice, just in case. As techalomaniac suggested, a 650W PSU would be really the most one can need, even if you have dual GPU's and loads of HDD's.

I know im being paranoid by including the fans and optical drive :D

Well Xeno, I have a saying "better to be paranoid then sorry". So lets draw up a power requirement chart for the OP:

CPU: 115W
RAM: 5W
GPU: 140W
HDD: 70W (2 @ 35w)
DVD - Burner: 15W
120MM Fan: 10W (2 @ 5W)
------------------------------------
Total: 355W

So as per this (and I have taken all upper limit approximations), a VX450 should be perfect for the OP. He still has head room for future plug-ins to his rig.

But I agree with you, a 650W supply is the better choice. With that, he will never have to live on the edge. With a 450W supply, once a couple devices are added, he will immediately reach his threshold. +++ As a rule with power requirements (be it PSU or UPS), the design should always have a +30% leeway to compensate for efficiency, heat loss, and future proofing.

Krow

Crowman
^Agreed, but the VX450W is an exceptional PSU which goes upto 570W! Although I still stand by my point that a 650W PSU is what the OP should get as he won't need to upgrade. It's totally worth the 800 bucks or so extra.

OP
T

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Will check about 650W PSU.

Just for Curious Guys this is my Planned Rig:

Intel DG31PR Mobo : Existing

2 Cabinet Fans: Existing (120 mm)

2 GB DRR2 RAM: Exsting. Will add 2 Gb more

Palit GTS250 : Current is 8600 GT

VX450W PSU Planned: Current is EL cheapo 400W

2 HDDs
1 DVD RW

I agree that 450W is kinda on the edgs but in the reviews VX450W was able to provide 570W as pointed above.

Well I believe that For a system without crossfire or sli 570W was kinda more than enough. I will try checking reviews of the 2 PSUs mentioned by Techno.

Last edited:

Krow

Crowman
^Its Techalo and not Techno ;)

With a 650W PSU, you will not need to upgrade. 450W although it gives 570W, still is living on the edge as all the time you can't expect to overload the PSU above its company certified rating and live in peace. Plus the difference is just 800 bucks. All the more reason to buy a 650W PSU. In case you ever feel like SLI or using a demanding GPU, 650W is more than enough. It can handle even GTX295 with ease. :)

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^Agreed, but the VX450W is an exceptional PSU which goes upto 570W! Although I still stand by my point that a 650W PSU is what the OP should get as he won't need to upgrade. It's totally worth the 800 bucks or so extra.

Personally I would never push the PSU beyond its limit. It is certified for 450W and that is how much should be drawn from it. Mounting >450W on it, will constantly stress it. Higher probability of part failure or early end of life. As per the power computation I did, the OP is more than comfortable with a 450W suppoy as long as he will not add on more components. He has a margin of ~100W for future upscale. Though if the diferential is just Rs 800 to reach a 650W PSU, then that would be the better choice. But if he will never upgrade his system, its a total waste.

2 HDDs
1 DVD RW

I agree that 450W is kinda on the edgs but in the reviews VX450W was able to provide 570W as pointed above.

Well I believe that For a system without crossfire or sli 570W was kinda more than enough. I will try checking reviews of the 2 PSUs mentioned by Techno.

Dont purchase the VX450 planning >450W output from it. It will provide it, but you will be running it at risk.

^Its Techalo and not Techno ;)

With a 650W PSU, you will not need to upgrade. 450W although it gives 570W, still is living on the edge as all the time you can't expect to overload the PSU above its company certified rating and live in peace. Plus the difference is just 800 bucks. All the more reason to buy a 650W PSU. In case you ever feel like SLI or using a demanding GPU, 650W is more than enough. It can handle even GTX295 with ease. :)

Yea true. Guess the buyers have to decide...how much scalability they want and what their current power draw is going to be. But again take VX450W to be 450W, do not see it as 570W. Please. Be safe.

rohan_mhtr

Most wanted

2 HDDs
1 DVD RW

Vx450 is ok with your rig and it will also work if you add another 2 hdd's and a fan . If you dont plan to to upgrade to anything more in say 1-1.5 years then no point in wasting few extra bucks on 650w , to feel safe you can get vx550 or tagan 600w if you want to save some cash . I personally thnk that higher wattagw psu is going to be wasted on this rig , only thing that it will ensure is some rise in your electric bill thats all .
Here is the rig that i build for my friend on a tight budget
E5200 overclocked @ 3.2ghz , gigabyte g31m-es2l , 2*2gb 800mhz ram , 500gb hdd , 1optical drive , ati 4850 , local cpu cooler and 2 120mm fans on a cooler master 500w extreme power plus and yet everything is running fine for the last 4 months . Remember 4850 is more power hungry then gts 250 . If the budget had been extended for another 1k then we would have gone for vx450 instead of the CM psu !!

Last edited:

Xeno

AMD - Aaja Meri Darling
only thing is that power supplies dont exactly lose compatibility :p , I think they'd still be usable 4 years down the line. Whereas who knows what AMX / DDRX / SATA X , Y-Gb/s devices we will have :p

Also even if the VX450W can deliver 570W without hiccups, but its rated as 450W, Corsair's PSU's are underrated and that means it would work at 450W load at ease for very long durations, however what about when its stressed more than that ?

IF you have the money, dont buy a second harddrive, instead get a 650W for like 1.5-2k more. Im not sure about Corsair TX650W (or is it 620 ? )that might be expensive..

Krow

Crowman
@ OP
*www.lynx-india.com/beta/index.php?productID=6124
Meanwhile the glacial 650 is available for 4.3k + tax + shipping = ~5k max.
Can't find the Antec EA650W!

Better get the VX450W if you are not inclined on heavy upgrades. :)

Xeno

AMD - Aaja Meri Darling
@ OP
*www.lynx-india.com/beta/index.php?productID=6124
Meanwhile the glacial 650 is available for 4.3k + tax + shipping = ~5k max.
Can't find the Antec EA650W!

Better get the VX450W if you are not inclined on heavy upgrades.
:)

I had inquired in bangalore much before for Antec Truepower (not Basiq) 650W, from .... kc computers , bangalore (i think), they are listed as official antec retailers at antec's website. They quoted 5.6k for it, better to go for the corsair modular 650W PSU.

@bolded part
in quote
Now no one can be absolutely sure of what upgrade will they do / not do eh ? :D I never had any intention of buying the EVO + Q-core :D

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Dude,...I was joking too....

I understood the joke

K letz finish this before it goes outta hands....

@OP - Corsair VX450W is an excellent buy, and yea the Glacial Power650W reportedly gives 88-92% effeciency, which is also VERY VERY GOOD. Choice is urz...

OP
T

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Bought VX450W and Palit GTS 250 from ITwares.

COD4 / Crysis on 8600 GT vs GTS 250 hehe cant wait to max out the settings :mad:

Last edited:

Krow

Crowman
Excellent buy IMO. Let us know about gaming performance of your GTS250. :)

Did the products arrive or have you placed the order?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom