Alternatives for WMP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rishab2oo

Keep honking I'm reloadin
Can anyone tell me some freeware alternatives for Windows Media Player. I know of winamp but are there any others.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Can anyone tell me some freeware alternatives for Windows Media Player. I know of winamp but are there any others.

yes there are

MPC (Media Player Classic) - available in K-Lite Codec pack
VLC (Video-Lan) - opensource player
GOM Player
Pot Player (amazing player :))

Audio: AIMP2

MegaMind

Human Spambot
If you have a good onboard GPU/discrete GPU,
i'd say Media player home cinema is a better option..

homecinema vs VLC

For audio, Foobar2000 with some tweaking Eq of your preference...

RahulB

Journeyman
Hi Rishab2oo and welcome to TDF...

So you are looking for alternatives for WMP, good 'cause WMP sucks...
What do you want, do you want a just a simple audio player, a video player or a Audio Player+Music Manager

1.) SIMPLE AUDIO PLAYER, VIDEO PLAYER: Check out POTPLAYER ( :)) :)) ) a great video player, I think it is the best out there, obviously it play audio files flawlessly as well, comes with a lots of features, so you can customize it to your needs and is under constant development ** HIGHLY RECOMMENDED **

Download from here: PotPlayer 1.5.31435 Beta - VideoHelp.com Downloads
[ ENGLISH TRANSLATED, Do not use Autoupdate, get updates from the above link ]

NOTE: Potplayer comes in 32 bit versions and 64 bit versions, only 32 builds get beta updates, 64 builds are always stable so choose accordingly, if you have a 64 bit system go for 64 bit builds, don't worry about updates, 64 bit builds usually get updated every 15-20 days or so you are covered. Also note that during installation uncheck the install live files option. ( Unchecked by defualt )

2.) AUDIO PLAYER+MUSIC MANAGER: As you have mentioned Winamp I also assume you want a full fledged Music Manager. If you want something like that I would recommend MUSIC BEE ( w00t ), download from here, MusicBee - Music Manager and Player

It is a great manager, has a great collection of sensible skins built in, and is very resource friendly.

Also download the latest patches for Music Bee from the forum ( Latest Patch 1.4.4383 Beta ).

Also note that Music Bee doesn't play AAC natively ( Licensing ), for AAC playback do check out the Music Bee website help page ( FAQ ), MusicBee - Music Manager and Player
you will get direct download links and installation ( simple copy paste operation ) for the bass_aac library from here to enable AAC playback.

Also note that if you want to convert files to AAC or MP3 you will have to install LAME and NEROAAC encoders, download links and instructions ( again a simple copy paste operation ) is available on Music Bee help page.

Check out Music Bee it is amazing ( lots of people use it ), it has rich INTERNET features as well, like LAST.FM support etc, great tagging support ( though not as good as Tagscanner ) and other great stuff, explore the menus to find more stuff.

A lot of people use Media Monkey, but personally I never warmed up to this player, anyway once you use Music Bee you won't go back.

If you want simple playback you can go for Stoffi Music Player: The Stoffi Music Player , another good but simple player. It looks just like any native Windows Application from Microsoft. It is based on .NET 4 so you have to download that ( The installer will download that if not installed ). Also note that it is only available on Windows 7 :( . This player is just a option, I don't recommend it over Music Bee or Media Monkey.

ENJOY :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

Reactions: ico

onlytanmoy

Journeyman
try out Daum Potplayer. And yea, download the eng version and DO NOT auto update as RahulB suggested.

Last edited:

g160689

Broken In
Music: itunes(out of the blue); rather gives excellent music
Video: VLC
If you are looking for some specific format support, this link might help you:

Comparison of video player software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RahulB

Journeyman
Hi Rishab2oo and welcome to TDF...

So you are looking for alternatives for WMP, good 'cause WMP sucks...
What do you want, do you want a just a simple audio player, a video player or a Audio Player+Music Manager

1.) SIMPLE AUDIO PLAYER, VIDEO PLAYER: Check out POTPLAYER ( :)) :)) ) a great video player, I think it is the best out there, obviously it play audio files flawlessly as well, comes with a lots of features, so you can customize it to your needs and is under constant development ** HIGHLY RECOMMENDED **

Download from here: PotPlayer 1.5.31435 Beta - VideoHelp.com Downloads
[ ENGLISH TRANSLATED, Do not use Autoupdate, get updates from the above link ]

NOTE: Potplayer comes in 32 bit versions and 64 bit versions, only 32 builds get beta updates, 64 builds are always stable so choose accordingly, if you have a 64 bit system go for 64 bit builds, don't worry about updates, 64 bit builds usually get updated every 15-20 days or so you are covered. Also note that during installation uncheck the install live files option. ( Unchecked by defualt )

2.) AUDIO PLAYER+MUSIC MANAGER: As you have mentioned Winamp I also assume you want a full fledged Music Manager. If you want something like that I would recommend MUSIC BEE ( w00t ), download from here, MusicBee - Music Manager and Player

It is a great manager, has a great collection of sensible skins built in, and is very resource friendly.

Also download the latest patches for Music Bee from the forum ( Latest Patch 1.4.4383 Beta ).

Also note that Music Bee doesn't play AAC natively ( Licensing ), for AAC playback do check out the Music Bee website help page ( FAQ ), MusicBee - Music Manager and Player
you will get direct download links and installation ( simple copy paste operation ) for the bass_aac library from here to enable AAC playback.

Also note that if you want to convert files to AAC or MP3 you will have to install LAME and NEROAAC encoders, download links and instructions ( again a simple copy paste operation ) is available on Music Bee help page.

Check out Music Bee it is amazing ( lots of people use it ), it has rich INTERNET features as well, like LAST.FM support etc, great tagging support ( though not as good as Tagscanner ) and other great stuff, explore the menus to find more stuff.

A lot of people use Media Monkey, but personally I never warmed up to this player, anyway once you use Music Bee you won't go back.

If you want simple playback you can go for Stoffi Music Player: The Stoffi Music Player , another good but simple player. It looks just like any native Windows Application from Microsoft. It is based on .NET 4 so you have to download that ( The installer will download that if not installed ). Also note that it is only available on Windows 7 :( . This player is just a option, I don't recommend it over Music Bee or Media Monkey.

ENJOY :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

Audio: Music Bee
Video: Potplayer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom