All "which distro should I choose?" queries here.

OP
iamharish15

iamharish15

Broken In
I have installed the Linux Mint and I have a MTS Mbrowse data card. But the data card runs from the application which can not be run on linux mint as its set up file is in .exe format.
Suggest me the alternatives to be able to use the data card on Linux mint also.

nims11

BIOS Terminator
this should help
[SOLVED] MTS Mblaze(mobile broadband internet) - Ubuntu Forums

let me know if this works, i planning to buy MTS Mblaze in few days

OP
iamharish15

iamharish15

Broken In
Problem Solved for Connecting MTS MBrowse/MBlaze in Linux

this should help
[SOLVED] MTS Mblaze(mobile broadband internet) - Ubuntu Forums

let me know if this works, i planning to buy MTS Mblaze in few days

No that didn't worked!
But Finally I have found the solution myself yesterday after googling it for so long!
I have copied all the important steps into one file and attaching it here.
For MTS MBrowse change the password to : 123
For MTS MBlaze password is given in the file: mts

OP
iamharish15

iamharish15

Broken In
once you connect to the Internet in Linux, and apply the recommended updates particularly the" list of mobile operators" package, then you will no longer need to connect using terminal as suggested in the file attached by me.
Because the new updates include MTS MBlaze in its list of operators, so you can configure using that.
But for MTS MBrowse you will still have to use the terminal for connecting to the Internet, so better create the launcher for that!

rchi84

In the zone
For desktops, it has to be a tossup between ubuntu (for its wide hardware support) & derivatives, Fedora or Open Suse. (strictly from my experience).

Laptops though is another issue. With my current DV6 laptop, I am yet to find a linux distro that works with the RALINK 3090 wifi chip out of the box. There's always a manual installation of the driver involved. So the best thing to do is to load a Live CD session and check if you are able to CONNECT to a wireless network successfully.

Most of the time, the networks will be shown up fine, but you will never be able to connect to them :(

For netbooks, I would recommend Puppy Linux on an SD card. Saves a ton of drive space, and is very light on the system. But again, you'll have to check if your wireless card is supported properly via a Live CD session. and NDISWrapper doesn't work half as well as its supposed to..

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
It's a better idea to check hardware compatibility before with Linux you buy a lappy. If you do that everything will work.

Anand_Tux

Journeyman
Re: Which Linux to go for a beginner?

Nobody suggested RedHat Linux? Is it not in use or is it for advance user or what?

RedHat Linux is Enterprise Linux which is used by professionals so it is not suited for a newbie but Fedora is derived from RedHat and anyone can use it.

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Need distro suggestions

Can you people give me names of distros , that have the option to install the bootloader(grub|lilo) on a partition (volume boot record), instead of the MBR ?

Would appreciate quick responses.

Thanks

OP
iamharish15

iamharish15

Broken In
Linux Mint also provides that option in the last step of booting, click on the Advanced Button and then you can select the partition you want to install the grub on

RedHat Linux is Enterprise Linux which is used by professionals so it is not suited for a newbie but Fedora is derived from RedHat and anyone can use it.
Thanks! :)

vaibhav23

In the zone
Friends I have the following config:
p4 2.66 Ghz
1GB DDR
80 GB HDD
INTEL 845GE Graphics controller(VRAM:64MB)

I want to install an open source OS but which one I could not finalize.
I only surf the net and watch occasional movies.
I had thought of installing Ubuntu 11.04 but was not sure it would work or not.
Please suggest

My mouse has some problem.I click only once but sometimes it takes a double click.
As soon as I saw my thread I PM'ed a mod to please delete one of my threads

vaibhav23

In the zone
I have decide to use linux mint but not sure whether my graphics controller will be supported or not.Config:
p4 2.66 Ghz
1 GB DDR
Intel 845GE graphics controller
I will download the linux drivers for my graphics controller but they are of 2007.So please help

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
yeah 10GB should be about enough, and I dont even use the swap so you can do it in two partitions, one for mint and one for windows
I know not using swap is not recommended, but I never have, and never faced any problems

doomgiver

Warframe
yeah 10GB should be about enough, and I dont even use the swap so you can do it in two partitions, one for mint and one for windows
I know not using swap is not recommended, but I never have, and never faced any problems
how much ram do you have?

My mouse has some problem.I click only once but sometimes it takes a double click.
As soon as I saw my thread I PM'ed a mod to please delete one of my threads

its the problem with the mouse hardware, replace it. i too have a double clicky mouse. very annoying

Top Bottom