All "which distro should I choose?" queries here.

doomgiver

Warframe
here goes.
pentium D 2.8 ghz
1 gb ram
no gpu.

distro required for basic office work
pdf,doc,(basically, office files), image files
MUST BOOT FAST (my arch boots in 13 secs)
easy to configure
linux beginner going to use it (he can manage his way a bit, but does not like command line too much)
also, NO PCMANFM, my brother hates it(i hate it too :p )
file manager must have breadcrumbs, tabs, and when going one level up in the directory structure, it MUST KEEP THE LAST OPENED FOLDER SELECTED.(this is why we hate it)

audio/fancy graphics NOT required (sound is dead and colors are not displayed properly, so not needed)

im thinking of lxde/xfce ubuntu or mint.
Peppermint OS
suggestions?

Last edited:

NeptuneTech

Bada Is Doing Fine
^^^i'd suggest you to use ubuntu because mint is a derivative of ubuntu...with ubuntu, u can create more capabilities for your machine than from mint....(if you plan to get into deep someday)

doomgiver

Warframe
try virtualbox for running windows applications.

this link:D:D:D

:offtopic::hammer::pan::flamethrower:
AAARGHHH!!!! TOO MANY MOVING PIXELS!!!
*goes into epileptic seizure and starts spamming(pun, lol)

xfce ubuntu

if resources are low xfce is really a charm !

im using xubuntu... slightly more bloated, but easier o configure and use for my brother. (keep in mind that he is not aware that the "windows" he sees is different than the desktop or the os, you know typical windows newbie)

also, how is nautilus as a file manager? is it better than thunar/pcmanfm???
(dang, i hate the fact that linux has such few good file managers, little choice here)

nims11

BIOS Terminator
^^ nautilus > thunar = pcmanfm
in terms of features as well as lightweightness. but the features overshadow the lightweightness factor.

Piyush

Lanaya
just installed ubuntu 11.04
and liking the unity interface a lot

are there any cpu monitoring gadgets for 11.04?

Krow

Crowman
Yeah Linux Mint is a good place to start as you won't have to install all codecs to play avi, mp3 files either.

mitraark

Decrepit
Which version of Ubuntu to go for ? I had been using 10.04 but now its time to shift to 11 , but have heard new ones have some Wifi driver problems etc.

Krow

Crowman
On my HP dm1z, I can't figure out how to get the sound working with Ubuntu 11.10.

And right click does not work either.

nims11

BIOS Terminator
^^ quite a common problem with new systems but haven't faced with ubuntu 11.10.
There are many reasons for it. try one of these and then use the speaker-test command to test.
1. /usr/bin/pulseaudio
2. alsamixer and then check if any output channel is muted. if yes, then unmute it by m.
3. try this Ubuntu 11.10 « Abhishek's Programming And Linux Solution Blog

Top Bottom