All "which distro should I choose?" queries here.

Krow

Crowman
Thanks a lot nims11. Your post helped. A little more googling solved two of my problems. I can right click now and I got the sound working.

But, now my laptop randomly hangs/freezes with the caps lock led blinking. I was just browsing on FF both the times it froze. No keys work. Only a hard reset helps. This distro is giving me headaches.

Krow

Crowman
^I'll try that. What does it do?

Ubuntu has become too much of a Mac clone in recent years. Unity has made it even more so (the dock has been moved to the left that's about it). Anyone following Mint? They said they may release a Gnome 3 version next. Looking forward to it. If they give a good Gnome 3 version, I'll donate instantly.

Krow

Crowman
^Hmmm... That is fine, but the system shouldn't be freezing I suppose. I'll update the AMD video drivers and check.

Downloaded Arch 32-bit. How to burn it to a pendrive? Any good software for Win or Lin?

Krow

Crowman
^It didn't work with Ubuntu 11.10 for me. I used some other software called Universal USB or something like that.

Krow

Crowman
Ah yes, I saw the dd command on the Arch wiki. I'll use it. Its a dangerous command apparently, if you enter the wrong drive letter. :p

Windows

Journeyman
Guys, i am totally new to Linux, installed Ubuntu a month back and now i want to install Arch Linux alongside my Windows installation on my laptop.

It has an x64 Core2Duo Processor with 3GB DDR3 RAM and a 320GB SATA HDD.

I downloaded
archlinux-2011.08.19-netinstall-dual.iso
from the website.

Is it the right iso? Is the Install Procedure really difficult and time consuming?

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
You need to be comfortable with the Linux command line, and be able to follow and understand the Arch's Beginner's guide. If that's called difficult, then the answer is yes. Personally I don't call it difficult, just a lot more attention to details.

nims11

BIOS Terminator
the only prerequisite for installing and using arch is comfort with command line, familiarity with basic Linux structure and most importantly, patience. :)

RahulB

Journeyman
Which Distro to use
-----------------------

Answer to this question is difficult as there are so many easy to use distros out there...

However.... here are some I recommend

1. Linux Mint - Very popular, Ubuntu based so it can use its packages, can install debian packages as well, very very easy to use.

2. Sabayon - Again a very easy to use distro in the same vein as Mint

3. Mandriva - Very polished Linux Distro

All of these are very polished distros so start with either of them.

To find more go to DistroWatch:DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

sygeek

Technomancer
Which Distro to use
-----------------------

Answer to this question is difficult as there are so many easy to use distros out there...

However.... here are some I recommend

1. Linux Mint - Very popular, Ubuntu based so it can use its packages, can install debian packages as well, very very easy to use.

2. Sabayon - Again a very easy to use distro in the same vein as Mint

3. Mandriva - Very polished Linux Distro

All of these are very polished distros so start with either of them.

To find more go to DistroWatch:DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.
I would like to add xubuntu.

RBX

In the zone
I'm a very new user to Linux community. Installed Linux Mint 12 on my pc yesterday , would have opted for Ubuntu but wanted to try a different distro as I've already tried Ubuntu 10.04 on a friend's laptop.

Things on Mint are quite easy, the Gnome seems much better than what was on Ubuntu. Now I want to install one on my own laptop and want to move on to a more advanced distro - Fedora or openSuse.

I'm a student and want to work with various programming languages and IDEs, databases, diagram and presentation softwares, occasionally listen to music, and socialize on internet.
Which one would be for me ? (I like clean, sophisticated interfaces, but that would come secondary to usage)

Two more things -
1) Would it be feasible to install an older distro (from Digit DVDs) and upgrade it to latest to avoid significant amount of download ?
2) What is Solaris ? No one seemed to mention it among Linux lineage. Could it be an option ? I'm not sure what architecture it runs on.

P.S. I have a Dell XPS 15, I hope Nvidia drivers will be readily available despite the distro I select.

Top Bottom