All laptop related queries here!!!

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
oh..ok..i knew about the tdp thing ..

i wonder why an i5 comes with 2.5ghz b4 turbo boost and i7 with 2.1 ghz b4 turbo boost..

also my 5 yrs old previous SONY core 2 duo laptop which i sold couple of days back had 2.4 ghz proc speed..
so kind of makes me skeptical that 2.1 ghz is pretty less for an i7..

Clock speed is not the only thing which matters for a CPU's performance. i7 has more no of cores, HT and better instruction sets.

P4 had clocks upto 3.4GHz, still its way behind.

randomuser111

Technomancer
@far
Yes the i7 3612 QM will beat any i5 out of the water. Don't go by clock speed alone, as Dashing.Sujay already explained.

Also +1 to aroraanant suggestion. Inspiron 15R SE with Full HD is a very good option. Do check it out since you won't be gaming.

rider

as Kratos
hmm..i dont see any new models of thinkpad or probook though..budget should be under 60k...preferrably i7

and good A.S.S

So, get that vaio model its nice with onsite warranty too though after sales its not as good as hp and dell coz they don't offer accidental cover and onsite is limited in selected cities.

far

Keep Going!
Guy at the sony store said can get two yrs extended warranty for 2.5k extra but no ADP

@ randouser...full HD in Dell better than samsung 550 ?

far

Keep Going!
Dell..specs are similar to that of sony E15118, but costs more with that VAT bs !.. It may have a better HD display..but i hate this special edition looks...like a 1970 model...hefty , plastic patches , small keys and no num pad....

If I find any other model similar to that of sony but at a better price ..i shall consider

randomuser111

Technomancer
^
There isn't any except Samsung. These two are cheaper than Sony but then they have their own shortcomings like no Windows in the Asus one and pathetic GPU in Toshiba

*www.flipkart.com/toshiba-satellite...W739&ref=21cb67fe-3755-445d-b4a0-8967c2d32b31

*www.flipkart.com/asus-k55vm-sx086d...UNJA&ref=21cb67fe-3755-445d-b4a0-8967c2d32b31

randomuser111

Technomancer
^
I'd say this is the best time of the year to buy a laptop. If you delay your purchase till late 2012 you will regret it as Intel Haswell will be around the corner then. And if you buy a laptop then it will become "outdated" in just 3-4 months.

So better buy now or else wait till next year.

far

Keep Going!
Oh Man.. why are the Intel guys releasing stuff every year... 2nd gen last year , 3rd gen now and Haswell early next year.....lolz..

btw thanks buddy for throwing lights on Haswell..

Sony Vaio E15 118 is bang for the buck ?.. May be a little overpriced what say. Of all the models I checked .. I like this one better though..

har

In the zone
Hmm its really funny to see some guys praising the Samsung 550p screen as if its a great screen when the fact is the only good things about it are the matte finish and the resolution.
Apart from that -
It has pathetic contrast ratio. Much less than even some 35k laptops, and maybe the lowest of any 40k+ laptop.
Color accuracy is a joke
300 nits brightness is false advertising, It's only about 250 nits bright at max, average 230.

So much ado about nothing really.

And before any Sammy fanboy decide to argue with me go and read the review of the 1600x900 "300 nit matte super duper screen" on notebookcheck.

They reviewed a 17" screen not the 15" version.
@far-sammy is still the best. The sony screen isnt really that good(one of my hostel mates have it). Its nice but the brightness isnt very good.

randomuser111

Technomancer
@har
Genius, I was talking about 15 inch 1600x900 screen. Post your panel ID, I'll tell you how pathetic the parameters are for your display. The 17 incher is in fact slightly better than the 15 inch model. Or Samsung made special high quality 10000:1 contrast ratio matte screen specially for you ?
Your laptop is no doubt the most powerful laptop in its range and also the best Value in the 50k range without a shadow of a doubt. It's an absolute steal.
But to say its pathetic screen is "great" is nothing but fanboyism.
Dell Inspiron 15R FHD is far superior. And even the E series 1366x768 and HP DV6 1366x768 screens in the range are better.

@far

Go compare yourself both screens. Parameters don't lie. Below 150:1 contrast is amongst the worst.

randomuser111

Technomancer
^
It will be near about 160:1. If you can go to a store and find the panel ID and tell me I could tell you exact numbers. But its pretty much the same panel as last year so varies from 160-180:1. It isn't by any means a good screen, but its less washed out than the Samsung 550p screen. But text will be slightly less sharp due to the lower resolution.

If you care for screen get the Inspiron 15 R SE FHD panel. It has 500:1 contrast ratio and 280 cd/m2 brightness.

far

Keep Going!
Mostly I will be reading only texts.. occasional video watchign and stuff.. 15R SE is a big no for me.. simply I dont like it...

I went to the store though... we need ask the sales guy about the panel ID or can be found in the system ?

randomuser111

Technomancer
Open Control Panel - Device Manager - Monitors - Generic PnP monitor - Right Click - Properties - Details Tab - Choose property Hardware IDs.

far

Keep Going!
Well.. they had only the i5 model on display. I wonder whether i5 and i7 share the same panel.

These guys want us to buy an expensive product without looking at it.. but they wont display it saying its expensive...WTH.. they just claim that i7 will look like i5 only...

Top Bottom