Airtel is a cheater

I recently upgraded my airtel broadband plan to 2MBPS. They said that with this plan there will be a download limit of 30GB per month and once it reaches 30 GB the bandwidth will reduce to 256KBPS.

In my case the changes took place on 26th of July and on 5th Aug I received an SMS that my 30GB of limit has reached and the bandwidth will be readjusted. What is your openion on this? do you think one can reach this 30GB limit within just 10 days? I doubt that, is there someone who is hacking my network and consuming my bandwidth? How much time does it usually takes to reach 30GB limit if you are downloading 4 hours on average daily basis. Can someone suggest me a way to threaten these airtel guys??

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: Airtel is a Fcuking cheater

Yeah, it's very much possible to download 30gb in 10 days with a 4hr usage daily on a 2Mbps connection. Use software like Networx to keep track of your data usage.

In any case, it's very much possible.

Neuron

Electronic.

2 mbps = 250KBps

4hrs*10days*250KBps = 40*60*60*250 KB = 36000000KB = 34.33GB

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United

I downloaded 30 GB yesterday on 4mbps. So 30GB in 10 days @ 2mbps is very easy.
Code:
daily
                     rx      |     tx      |    total    |   avg. rate
     ------------------------+-------------+-------------+---------------
     yesterday     30.61 GiB |    2.74 GiB |   33.36 GiB |   404.83 KiB/s

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

Keep a track on ur data transfers with the help of du-meter, Or in the case you think someone's hacking into it (altho i dnt believe its possible), log into ur airtel online account and check your DSL statistics/usage daily for a duration, you'll come to know where's/what's the evil.
BTW i'm on same plan u r using and its my 3rd month and till now airtel hasn't reduced my speed :) :doublethumb: And yeah, 30GB can be easily crossed in 10 days. I have downloaded 26GB in 6 days in this month till now ;) and it totals to be somewhere around 95GB or so :))

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.

I recently upgraded my airtel broadband plan to 2MBPS. They said that with this plan there will be a download limit of 30GB per month and once it reaches 30 GB the bandwidth will reduce to 256KBPS.

In my case the changes took place on 26th of July and on 5th Aug I received an SMS that my 30GB of limit has reached and the bandwidth will be readjusted. What is your openion on this? do you think one can reach this 30GB limit within just 10 days? I doubt that, is there someone who is hacking my network and consuming my bandwidth? How much time does it usually takes to reach 30GB limit if you are downloading 4 hours on average daily basis. Can someone suggest me a way to threaten these airtel guys??

Do remember that ISP consider 30GB = DL + UL...
so,use a bandwidth monitoring tool such as DU Meter or NetWorx;also u can
check in Airtel CC whether they have it or not total data report :smile:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

@OP:
Use some bandwidth monitoring tool to keep a tab. Also I think they will account the UL in your FUP limit. Airtel does that.

Also please to not use bad words in titles or posts.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Well, whats the use of a plan with a high speed, but FUP as low as 30 GB!
Marketing strategy maybe. But people fail to understand that high speed means faster consumption of the limits! :(

Take a free advice. Opt for a MTNL/BSNL connection. No FUP!! FTW! :-D

sakumar79

Technomancer
Is 26th July start of new billing cycle? If not, it could also be that for the first month, the limit will be prorated (for eg, if the change has happened in the mid of the billing cycle, the first month free limit starting from the date of change would be 15 GB instead of 30 GB...

As others said, use a bandwidth monitor to keep track of your usage... Background network usage like antivirus updates, OS updates, can eat up bandwidth without your knowledge...

Arun

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
As others said, use a bandwidth monitor to keep track of your usage... Background network usage like antivirus updates, OS updates, can eat up bandwidth without your knowledge...

Arun

That's why we suggested him to use softs like Du-meter to track all known and hidden bandwith suckers.

OP
maverick786us

maverick786us

Padawan
tell me, how much reliablw is MTNL? How good is their customer support?
In 2009 my dad changed the connection from airtel to MTNL. One day there came a technical fault and despite numerous request, they were sending stupid telephone line people to get it resolved. That government department no one was taking the complain seriously. So is it still the same with MTNL?

If that is the case, 30GB is nothing. I do heavy downloading usint torrent can't live without it. Even if they provide 1MBPS connection with unlimited download, its still acceptable

Krow

Crowman
AFAIK Airtel has not unlimited plans. Best to look for a plan with a high download cap if you want Airtel. I think they have a plan with a 75GB cap.

I looked through their site but I can't find any place which lists all plans. Somehow the fast faster fastest links don't work well.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I have my MTNL connection for 2 years now. Granted it did went awry some times, but the problem used to get resolve in a maximum of couple of days. Most of the time, it was the problem of Modem, which I myself used to get replaced directly from the nearest MTNL office. :-D

Now, you may only need 24x7 Internet if you are trading in stock market or something, but thy have no such urgency! For me, the pros (of no FUP, and good speed plans) surpasses the cons (of occasional disturbances).

In my perception, government stuff is improving. And at least I believe in their tagline, "Transparency Makes Us Better." Since their are no hidden stuffs, and fine prints in MTNL! :cool:

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
AFAIK Airtel has not unlimited plans. Best to look for a plan with a high download cap if you want Airtel. I think they have a plan with a 75GB cap.

I looked through their site but I can't find any place which lists all plans. Somehow the fast faster fastest links don't work well.
This link works better than the fast fastest thing
airtel broadband new plans | high speed broadband plans 1mbps to 4mbps

They have a 30GB, 75GB and 150GB FUPs. 4mbps is only Rs100 more than 2mbps.

Krow

Crowman
This link works better than the fast fastest thing
airtel broadband new plans | high speed broadband plans 1mbps to 4mbps

They have a 30GB, 75GB and 150GB FUPs. 4mbps is only Rs100 more than 2mbps.

Thanks a lot for that link. But that is only 2mbps onwards. Is there a high data cap plan for 512kbps and 1Mbps? That would at least temporarily solve OP's problems, without making him pay too much more I suppose.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Thanks a lot for that link. But that is only 2mbps onwards. Is there a high data cap plan for 512kbps and 1Mbps? That would at least temporarily solve OP's problems, without making him pay too much more I suppose.
No. Airtel plans are bandwidth oriented. You pay for the amount of data you want to use. Speed doesn't make much difference to prices.

512k and 1mbps plans weren't available when I took a connection (1.5month back).

sygeek

Technomancer
It's better to opt out for an unlimited plan, Plans with FUP in India suck at the moment.

Top Bottom