Airtel has suggested TRAI to reduce post-FUP speed to 64kbps

sygeek

Technomancer
using the mobile connection for professional or industrial applications instead of just personal ones. Something like getting 5 mobiles and torrenting at 512 kbps all the time to run DVD piracy shop, Im guessing.
If the bollywood industry don't care about rampant piracy why should Airtel. It's an excuse, nothing else.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
hmm.. . its not about what is getting pirated, it is about how the line is being abused

basically airtel is saying that there should be no minimum bandwidth provision, because people are misusing it. how exactly is not mentioned, but it should be any activity that uses all the bandwidth all the time.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
hmm.. . its not about what is getting pirated, it is about how the line is being abused

basically airtel is saying that there should be no minimum bandwidth provision, because people are misusing it. how exactly is not mentioned, but it should be any activity that uses all the bandwidth all the time.
Ummm, the customer IS paying to use that bandwidth. If airtel was giving it away for free, they would've been allowed to do anything to control it.

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
I guess.. I need to emphasize again..

For airtel, providing unlimited connection with meager (512kbps) FUP speed is costly then what about ACT / BEAM , spectranet, hathway etc providing more speed after FUP at cheaper price.. Alright , those are smaller ISP, but they are also here to make profit.. or they don't know how to do business...

OR perhaps..
Airtel is too greedy, needs 80% margin in BB or they just don't know how to scale business ?

Craptel .. Go away :p

Last edited:

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
As long the customer is paying for a particular amount of bandwidth,he should be able to use it to the maximum.If ISP cant provide the agreed bandwidth,they should either upgrade their network or exit the business. Airtel just wants to make the maximum profit while spending/investing the least for providing the service.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
reading between the lines airtel is saying india is sooo paisa vasool that most people abuse their connections... and they are talking about the minimum speed they seem to be voluntarily giving at their highest price bracket, because that is the only one with the minimum 512 cap. so internally in their documentation and responses, they seem to be categorizing a lot more people in the abuse section because of their normal use. In principle though, it is possible for a few to mess up the experience of everyone else in mobile.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
I don't understand, how a customer is misusing it? Say they reduce the speed to 64kbps, people who are downloading say a movie will keep their pc's on for more hours or they will download in bits. Why the hell is SHITtel not showing how exactly are they spending more to provide a minimum speed of 512 kbps?

Theodre

In the zone
AirTel sucks now a days and stupid!! This is just going to give another negative impact to their brand, that's all! Why don't they realise it?

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
well you cannot upgrade the capacity infinitely. There are only so many simultaneous connections possible at a time to a tower, and there is a limit to how many towers can be built in an area. If everyone is using their mobile connections as a fixed line (have already paid for the data, might as well use it all the time, so I get my money's worth) then there simply isn't enough space in the air for most people to use their mobiles at all.

Correct me if im wrong, or someone dig up the numbers or explain better.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
oh god so much fuss for wires. ok.

- - - Updated - - -

It's both. They make similar arguments for both. Letter is here.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Airtel is so worried about network usage then simply discontinue all the post-FUP plans & just sell pre-paid plans with data limit after which it will be disconnected/suspended.However they won't do it because then there is no chance for getting money for excess usage.On one hand they cry about network congestion but on other hand they don't want to sell pre-paid plans with limited usage as there is no provision for excess usage charges.As long as a customer is paying for it he or she has every right to use it in whatever way(incl downloading 24*7).The argument Airtel is giving is no different from a failing psu asking for a govt bailout instead of just accepting the facts & revise their operational strategy.

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
If Airtel is so worried about network usage then simply discontinue all the post-FUP plans & just sell pre-paid plans with data limit after which it will be disconnected/suspended.However they won't do it because then there is no chance for getting money for excess usage.On one hand they cry about network congestion but on other hand they don't want to sell pre-paid plans with limited usage as there is no provision for excess usage charges.As long as a customer is paying for it he or she has every right to use it in whatever way(incl downloading 24*7).The argument Airtel is giving is no different from a failing psu asking for a govt bailout instead of just accepting the facts & revise their operational strategy.

And also they will not be able to advertise these plans as "UNLIMITED BROADBAND"

saiyaman

Journeyman
I disagree.

Airtel should launch a campaign to call themselves the pioneers of dial up internet and hype it by ads which say 64KBPS is faster than 3G or 4G.

KayKashyap

Journeyman
Oh man,this Airtel is so arrogant!!

i can only imagine BSNL's 5-10kbps download speed with that 64kbps. :laughing_NF: :laughing_NF:

ankitj1611

Journeyman
simple word for airtel.Airtel we are paying you for the cost with is suitable for connection.

"एहसान नहीं कर रहे तुम हम पर अपना कनेक्शन देके .इतना कुछ ख़ास भी नहीं तुम्हारे ब्रॉडबैंड में.पूरे इंडिया में सिर्फ तुम ही नहीं हो प्रोवाइडर"

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
oh god it is a mess. the trai.gov.in site has all the information in the consultations papers section. "Broadband" is wired and wireless.
spectrum is a problem. it is not cheap enough, and there is not enough of it available for data use.
every operator is demanding for less red tape. reduced taxes on importing equipment. allowing sharing of infrastructure.
there are something called backhaul networks that funnel the service provider traffic to the national backbone. The quality of the backhaul networks are affecting the quality of everything, because in the end wired and wireless broadband goes through that.
60 million broadband subscribers now and the target is 600 million by 2020.
small bit of good news is... cable providers and government are on the same page though, to find a way to provide broadband through cable connections.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
oh god it is a mess. the trai.gov.in site has all the information in the consultations papers section. "Broadband" is wired and wireless.
spectrum is a problem. it is not cheap enough, and there is not enough of it available for data use.
every operator is demanding for less red tape. reduced taxes on importing equipment. allowing sharing of infrastructure.
there are something called backhaul networks that funnel the service provider traffic to the national backbone. The quality of the backhaul networks are affecting the quality of everything, because in the end wired and wireless broadband goes through that.
60 million broadband subscribers now and the target is 600 million by 2020.
small bit of good news is... cable providers and government are on the same page though, to find a way to provide broadband through cable connections.

Still doesn't justify Airtel declaring broadband users are abusing the service for which they are paying for.

bubusam13

Human
*i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n536/bubusam13/assam%20circle%20airtel_zpshncaljpb.jpg
Look at the bandwidth they are offering.
I was using a Unlimited 6GB postpaid plan, today I see the plan has changed. After 6GB data stops.

Top Bottom