Air India to pay Rs.75 lakh to crash victims

Rahim

Married!
Kochi, July 20 (IANS) The Kerala High Court Wednesday directed Air India to pay interim compensation of Rs.75 lakh each to the kin of 158 passengers who died in an air crash in Mangalore last year.

The direction was made by Justice P.R. Ramachandran Menon following a petition by the family of Mohammed Rafi, who died in the May 18 crash. The court directed Air India to pay the interim compensation in a month's time.

An Air India Express flight 812 Dubai-Mangalore overshot the runway while landing at the Bajpe airport, about 20 km from Mangalore, and caught fire after plunging about 300 metres off a cliff.

Of the 158 victims, 53 were Keralites, most of them from the northern districts of Kasargode and Kannur.

Source

tkin

Back to school!!
Ironic isn't it? For rail accidents more people die but relatives get very little compensation, and for airplane accidents less people die but relatives are paid a quarter of a crore?? WTH is this? Is this because people who travel by air are generally much richer compared to normal folks who travel by rail?

Some justice system we have here.

jetboy

Journeyman
Ironic isn't it? For rail accidents more people die but relatives get very little compensation, and for airplane accidents less people die but relatives are paid a quarter of a crore?? WTH is this? Is this because people who travel by air are generally much richer compared to normal folks who travel by rail?

Some fckin justice system we have here.

I agree to that..Its a shame on the gov. It's always like the rich gets richer and the poor gets poorer

buddyram

New Voyage
totally agree with you all. Why r they paying 75 lakhs for a plane crash!

Whereas a railway/bus accident victims would hardly get a lakh or two, many of them wont even get the benefits properly.

mediator

Technomancer

Moreover, this was an international flight and hence the huge compensations.

OP
Rahim

Rahim

Married!
Be it a lakh or a crore - a person lost is lost .... a family destroyed is destroyed ....

I know but don't you think by announcing compensation, these authorities get away with faulty security arrangement and lack of decency on their part? It reminds me of how politicians announce so loudly similar payback during a calamity. Pathetic.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
No ammount of money can bring a person back. Money only reduces the hardships. It doesnt help improve anything.

Still its good the victims are receiving this :)

KDroid

Cyborg Agent
:shock: 75 lacs to every victim's family !!! surprising!

I've never heard of such a big compensation!

Tech&ME

Banned
^^
The whole verdict of the honorable Court is debatable.

Air India is already in huge loss and a pile of problems. They do not have the money to pay such amount of compensation that too in a small time span of only one month.

This is another political drama.

Now, AirIndia will say they do not have such amount of money with them. Then the government will jump in and give LOAN to them.... :( half the money will go in the babu's pocket and the rest half to the desired families.

This is how India runs its PSU's

mediator

Technomancer
@Amey : Tell that to our politicians. The expenses rise if the "Indian image" is at stake. Life is indeed precious irrespective of religion or region. Everyday a person dies in mumbai railways, delhi roads and a soldier to fight paki terrorists in JnK or with Maoists. Who cares for them?

‪Become a Terrorist get paid by Indian Government‬‏ - YouTube
‪Sonia Gandhi CONGRESS Plans new way to earn vote from BANGLADESHI‬‏ - YouTube

nisargshah95

Your Ad here

totally agree with you all. Why r they paying 75 lakhs for a plane crash!

Whereas a railway/bus accident victims would hardly get a lakh or two, many of them wont even get the benefits properly.

I agree :+1:. The big corps consider loss of life = a bit loss of money. They do not take it seriously anymore because of the commonness of these accidents. Ever since Mamta's rule as Railway Minister, God knows how many accidents occured... one just occured recently...

sygeek

Technomancer

Some justice system we have here.
Train is full of thousands of people, while in planes there are literally a hundred or more people. I don't think it's injustice. Have you ever really travelled in a plane? Well, most of the people aren't rich, at least to the people I've seen or talked with. Some are on a package with companies while some are sent officially for business purposes. 2/10 of the plane consists of rich people, rest of the richy richies people travel in much better planes available.

I don't think it's injustice, it's just not possible to donate every damn victim a sum of money, but I do agree that victims of train accident should be donated a little more than that. Poor people are used to their living, if they were given such amount of money they would become much richer than you (some may even misuse this privilege), while the plane victims need such amount of money to balance their lifestyle back to normal.

Top Bottom