A little hope : INTERNET Quality of Service

bubusam13

Human
Operators to be fined for poor broadband service

TRAI has amended the Quality of Service regulation of broadband service and has included fines which operators will have to pay if they do not meet benchmark set by the regulator.

Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has amended the Quality of Service guidelines for broadband service making it mandatory for service providers to meet prescribed norms. If an operator fails to meet the benchmark once, it will have to pay a fine of up to Rs 50,000 and subsequent violations will attract penalty of up to Rs 100,000.

According to the new regulation, which will come into force from 1st January 2013, provision or activation of data services is to be done within four hours of receiving the request.

Also, minimum speed of each plan has to be measured and reported to TRAI. The best part is that TRAI has asked operators to ensure 75 per cent subscribed speed is actually received by the subscriber. So, if the operator promises 7.2 Mbps download speed then they have to ensure atleast 5.4 Mbps or above. Data drop rate also has to be below 5 per cent.

To improve transparency, all the operators have been asked to publish, on their websites, the details of all data services offered, along with their tariff, clearly indicating the cities and towns where such data services and tariff plans are applicable.

The new regulations also bars operators from offering new data services or modify the existing data services or tariff without prior publication on their websites.

SOURCE: Operators to be fined for poor broadband service

Seriously I welcome this move of TRAI. But is this applicable for BSNL? What if the operator donot have base station or mobile tower in a area?

My BSNL EVDO sucks. BSNL guys told me that the CDMA tower is located far and they have plans to set up a new Exchange near my area. Now as per this TRAI regulation, will they actually set up a Exchange in my area. Let's see.

doomgiver

Warframe
ahahahha!!!

tata photon + is going DOWN. let me post this HORRIFIC and UNHOLY screencap :

WARNING, THIS PICTURE MAY ROB YOU OF YOUR EYESIGHT/WILL TO LIVE
ONLY WATCH UNDER ADULT SUPERVISION, USER DISCRETION IS ADVISED
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED
*i.imgur.com/kJsGm.png

this is one of the better times.
once, it managed to reach 1200+ ms avg and 41% dropped packets over 800 sent packets.

my connection is CRAZY.

d3p

PowerHouse
Late but nice move....Now i don't need to scream at Airtel or MTS over phone. Just one warning is more than sufficient.

What's Next ??

TRAI/ISP will fine the End User if found Downloading Copyright Materials specially from Torrent ?? Dooms day is not far away....

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
If i had the power i will provide "Beam Tele" license to operate atleast in the major cities.
So people will know what is a real Broad Band.

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Bsnl has a 499 Ul plan (256 kbps 'Broadband')Dont know if theyll increase the speeds because of this.

Minion

Conversation Architect
^^This is Indian Broadband MAN LOL.
Now my Aircel 3G rarely touches 200KBps. Every other country in world is experiencing better internet speed day by day while we Indians are experiencing just the opposite.:p

batman

Broken In
Good move...what is the minimum speed mandated by TRAI for a service to be called "broadband"? 512kbps?

DDIF

Custom User Title
i don't think this applies to government companies' *cough*MTNL/BSNL*cough*
bloody MTNL makes my FUP use up faster.
Yup, this will not affect BSNL at all don't know about MTNL. I've tried all the grievance services provided by BSNL to complain about the connection quality and despite their promises nothing happened and no one was held responsible.
Emails, Calls, written letters, all in vain. "We are trying, this seems to be a technical problem." Their brahmastra answer.

And this fine and QoS stuff will just be pain in the a$$ for private providers and they will put the pressure on end user. So to improve quality their next step would be to :
TRAI/ISP will fine the End User if found Downloading Copyright Materials specially from Torrent ?? Dooms day is not far away....

And the majority will still face the problem because they are stuck with BSNL (like me).

Last edited:

ramakanta

Ambassador of Buzz
forgot about EVDO , go for 3G Datacard . as your choice u can use best tariff..from best service provider. :|

Welcome move. I had to throw away my vodafone netcruise evdo because of sucky speeds. The executive said that there was no tower in my area. Then why the hell that modem was being sold in my area????

Indirajayan

Broken In
I am using BSNL BB Home Combo UL900.They assured 4Mbps speed upto 8GB but getting 1.67Mbps only.Thanks!

Last edited:

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
^i get 1.75 mbps speed on my upto 2mbps Xpress UL Combo 650 plan
and ater i cross FUP i get 480 kbps though they say upto 512kbps after FUP limit
i am using MTNL
seems every government company has the same bloody problems

DDIF

Custom User Title
^i get 1.75 mbps speed on my upto 2mbps Xpress UL Combo 650 plan
and ater i cross FUP i get 480 kbps though they say upto 512kbps after FUP limit
i am using MTNL
seems every government company has the same bloody problems

I was on BSNL BB ULD 1350 Plan with 4mbps upto 20 GB and 512kbps beyond that. But the best I could get was 3.2mbps.
Thank god today I am saying goodbye to BSNL, and welcoming Wi5 Broadband to my home. and they have 2mbps unlimited plan for 2100/- and BSNL offer 2mbps unlimited for 9000/-
Good riddance BSNL.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
i'm on BSNL 500Combo night unlimited 250kBps all time. no FUP. i schedule my torrents and idm.

my utorrent Last 31days usage shows 129GB ;) lol BSNL r a p e d??

Top Bottom