A lightweight workhorse.

red dragon

Master troll
So after trolling for about a month in this section of the forum,I sincerely need your help to buy a light weight but sufficiently powerful windows laptop(I have a Dell latitude from office,but it is pretty heavy.So my very good employer has given me a budget of 65-70k for a windows machine)
Requirements not in order of priority
1.Screen size-Anything between 11-13 inch

2.weight-Maximum 2kg(this is important)

3.Battery life-at least 6 hours

4.RAM-4GB will suffice for now

5.Procy-I am not sure,usage will be limited to some(actually a lot of)medical statistics related software(they are lightweight,even my c2d mac can handle them),loads of MS office(mostly power point),browsing,hd movies and music.

6.Graphics-Intel HD will be more than enough.

7.Screen-will prefer matte screen(the only thing I hate in the MBP is the gloss)

Now the most important point-This machine has to be reliable and really well buit,I will be travelling a lot in the interior villages of North Eastern states,so no question of service centres.

So what are the options guys?

OP
red dragon

red dragon

Master troll
X1 has pathetic battery life and the screen is glossy
I doubt the built quality of vaios.Anyone here using X220?

Niilesh

Padawan
Try Dell Vostro V130
It's build quality is good also has matte screen
but it's battery is pathetic(3hrs)

also see Lenovo - Laptops - IdeaPad - U Series - U260

randomuser111

Technomancer
Wait two weeks for Sony Vaio SB38GG. Win 7 Professional SP1
13.3 inch MATTE display
i7 2640M
4GB RAM
750GB HDD
AMD 6470M/Intel HD
Backlit keyboard
1.72 kg
6 hours battery life with standard battery, 12 hours with the sheet battery

OR if you are interested in extending your budget to close to 1 lac then you can get the ultimate mobile PC - Vaio Z
Z226
13.1 inch 1600x900 Vaio Display Premium (Better screen than 95% of laptops in the market and better than ANY MBP)
4GB RAM
256GB SSD
Intel Hd Graphics
1.1kg
Battery life 6.5 hrs standard batter; 13 hours with sheet battery
Win 7 Professional SP1

Last edited:
OP
red dragon

red dragon

Master troll
Dude,I have used vio Z for a very brief period,it is definitely good,but waaay too overpriced and overhyped.The built quality is nothing compared to a thinkpad x220 and definitely do not need that much of ssd storage,60_80GB will be enough.
Do not really mind spending around 1000k(only 25_30k from my pocket),but the Vaio Z does not deserve such a price tag.
Can not find x220 at any Indian online store,do not have time to import from US.
How is the Toshiba R700?

randomuser111

Technomancer
Check here
Buy Thinkpad X220 Laptop Lenovo I7-2620m 2.7ghz 12. | Lowest prices on Computers & Peripherals at Rediff Shopping.

OP
red dragon

red dragon

Master troll
Dude cart2india takes more than 2 weeks to deliver.SnS is far better but it will take 10 days and I have only 6-7 days before I go for another tour.
Thanks anyways.

aroraanant

Explorer
You have mentioned in ur requirement that u want a laptop running windows,may I ask is there any particular reason behind that coz I personally suggest that if a person is not having any budget problem then one must go for Macbook pro or macbook air as u get good battery back up and a light weight lappy with a great hardware.

OP
red dragon

red dragon

Master troll
I already have a Macbook Pro.The company will provide windows laptop only as there are some software issues as well.

Krow

Crowman
Sony Vaio S series is the best bet for around 60k.

At least that is what I concluded after a month of research.

Krow

Crowman
^Then don't turn it on. S series models come with discrete graphics. But they also have a button for speed/stamina mode. One of them always keeps the laptop on onboard Intel HD3000. In case you need the graphics, you can use it.

In case you don't want discrete graphics at all, you can consider Toshiba R805. Not sure about its availability in India, but in the US it costs around $750-800.

Asus U36JC is another option but then again I don't know about local availability.

Krow

Crowman
^Yeah physical button.

Sony VAIO SB Series review -- Engadget

Scroll down and there is a small compare chart. X220 has much better battery life, but AFAIK it has a slightly smaller screen (12.5"). You can get it with IPS display too, but I am not sure if that option is available in India.

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 review -- Engadget

X220 is probably your best bet, but it is pretty expensive. Vaio S falls within what your employer is giving you. You can buy the optional sheet battery too, which makes the laptop weigh 2.2 kg (1.7kg laptop + 500g battery). But it increases battery life dramatically.

Top Bottom