70k Gaming rig with HD TV monitor

Score89

Broken In
I made a post regarding a new computer a couple of months back, but my purchase plans got postponed. Now I'm almost done saving up and it's time to come up with a new config. So here's the Q&A form.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')

Ans: Watching videos and playing MMO, RPG and RTS games. (Guild Wars, Dishonored, GTA series, Assassin Creed series, Splinter Cell series, Darksouls, Darksiders, WoW, Starcraft)

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.

Ans: 60 - 65k. Can extend it to 70k

3. Planning to overclock?

Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?

Ans: Windows 7/8

5. How much hard drive space is needed?

Ans: 1 TB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.

Ans: I'm considering hooking up the PC to a 32" LCD TV that I'll soon be getting. Is this a good idea, or will a conventional HD monitor be better? Need your advice regarding this.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?

Ans: Will be buying everything.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?

Ans: Hopefully one month from now

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?

Ans: This will be done by an assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?

Ans: I live in Delhi and will be buying locally.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?

Ans: Assuming that I go for the 32" LCD TV as my monitor, will I be better off getting a wireless keyboard + mouse?

Cilus

laborare est orare
Assuming the price of your HD TV is excluded in the budget of 70K, here is my suggestion:-

AMD FX 8350 4GHz @ 11.6K
Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 @ 7.2K
GSkill RipjawX F3-12800CL10S-8GBXL 8GB X 1 1600 MHz CL10 @ 4K
Toshiba/ WB Blue 1TB 7200 RPM HDD @ 3.8K
Corsair 400R Cabinet @ 4.5K
Seasonic SS750-JS @ 5.6K
Sapphire HD 7970 Dual Fan Version @ 28K
Asus 24X SATA Black DVD R/W @ 1K
Logitech Keyboard @ 0.3K
Lenovo M6811 1600 dpi Laser Gaming Mouse @ 0.65K

TotaL: ~70K.

Sainatarajan

Wise Old Owl
:2subs: Its a Killer One !!! Just add a Cooler when you want to Overclock . Opt for a Dual Channel i.e. 2x 4 GB RAM than a Single 8 GB RAM ...
PS - AMD CPU Cooler is Also good , just add the cooler when you want to hit the extremes ....

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ Actually 2X4GB 1600MHz Ram modules are very pricy now a days, ranging from 4.5K to 5K and the single 8GB stick I've suggested is the cheapest one. He can add another in future to make it dual channel.

ASHISH65

Technomancer
better wait for haswell if possible as you are buying one month from now.

otherwise -

Intel i5 3570 - rs 12000

Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H mobo - rs 6500

Corsair vengance 1600mhz 4gb x 2 ram - rs 4000

Wd cavier blue 1tb - rs 3700

Corsair 400r cabinet - rs 4500

Seasonic s12 520w psu - rs 3900

Logitech gaming keyboard &mouse combo - rs 1500

Asus 24X dvd writer - rs 1000

Saphhire hd 7970 3gb dual fan - rs 28000

Total - rs 65,600

Last edited:
OP
S

Score89

Broken In
@Cilus - Thanks for the response. I've got a few questions for you, but since this is the first time I'm building a custom rig, please forgive their 'noobness'.

1. I know that 7970 is a kickass card, but will it be sufficiant to games with an HD TV at Ultra setting? I would like to play current and next gen games at High/Ultra for atleast two years.

2. Will i be better off going for an SLI config?

3. Do you recommend getting a wireless keyboard and mouse over their wired counterparts? (As I'll be sitting atleast 8 feet away from the tv)

@Ashish - Some questions for you as well :)

1. From what I've read AMD FX 8350 is much more value for money than the I5. Any particular reason for suggesting the latter over the former?

2. Also with your mobo, what benefits does it have over the one that Clius suggested? Is it possible to mix and match so that I end up with an AMD FX 8350 with a Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H?

3. And finally, what's the difference between Seasonic SS750-JS and Seasonic s12 520w?

This is for everyone, what are the pros and cons of using an HD TV for gaming? Is it better or worse than a full HD monitor?

Last edited:

ASHISH65

Technomancer
@Ashish - Some questions for you as well :)

1. From what I've read AMD FX 8350 is much more value for money than the I5. Any particular reason for suggesting the latter over the former?

2. Also with your mobo, what benefits does it have over the one that Clius suggested? Is it possible to mix and match so that I end up with an AMD FX 8350 with a Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H?

3. And finally, what's the difference between Seasonic SS750-JS and Seasonic s12 520w?

This is for everyone, what are the pros and cons of using an HD TV for gaming? Is it better or worse than a full HD monitor?

1)the game you mentioned in that i5 3550 will be faster than fx 8350

2)not possible,intel cpu only in intel chipsets mobos and amd in amd

3)Seasonic SS750-JS is of more watts 750w it is usefull if you plan about multigpus in future,otherwise 520w is enough

the1337est

Hardcore Gamer
1. I know that 7970 is a kickass card, but will it be sufficiant to games with an HD TV at Ultra setting? I would like to play current and next gen games at High/Ultra for atleast two years.

The physical size of the monitor does not matter in performance. What matters is the resolution of the screen. I'm assuming you're planning on getting a 1980x1080 (1080p/FullHD) TV. HD7970 will run any game at ultra in 1080p with ease.
Check this link: Benchmark Results: Battlefield 3 (DX 11) : AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition Review: Give Me Back That Crown!

It is always recommended to get single better GPU than two lower cost GPUs. Ofcourse 2x HD7850 will give you more performance than a single HD7970 for about same price, but getting single HD7970 gives you room for future upgrade (getting another 7970).
Link from another forum: Terrible experience with 7870 CF - Guru3D.com Forums

OP
S

Score89

Broken In
The physical size of the monitor does not matter in performance. What matters is the resolution of the screen. I'm assuming you're planning on getting a 1980x1080 (1080p/FullHD) TV. HD7970 will run any game at ultra in 1080p with ease.
Check this link: Benchmark Results: Battlefield 3 (DX 11) : AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition Review: Give Me Back That Crown!

It is always recommended to get single better GPU than two lower cost GPUs. Ofcourse 2x HD7850 will give you more performance than a single HD7970 for about same price, but getting single HD7970 gives you room for future upgrade (getting another 7970).
Link from another forum: Terrible experience with 7870 CF - Guru3D.com Forums

Thanks the1337est!

Nvidia just released its 7 series GPU, do you guys think it's going to be worth waiting for them to come to India? Or should I go ahead with the 7970?

I've taken Cilus' rig and added in some elements of Ashish's suggestions. How is this as a PC?

Intel i5 3570 - 12000
Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H mobo - 6500
GSkill RipjawX F3-12800CL10S-8GBXL 8GB X 1 1600 MHz CL10 - 4K
Toshiba/ WB Blue 1TB 7200 RPM HDD - 3.8K
Corsair 400R Cabinet - 4.5K
Seasonic SS750-JS - 5.6K
Sapphire HD 7970 Dual Fan Version - 28K
Asus 24X SATA Black DVD R/W - 1K
Logitech K270 Wireless keyboard - 1085
Logitech M950 wireless mouse - 5.9k
X-Box wireless controller for PC - 3.4k

Total - 75,785

Goes a little above my budget because of all the wireless accessories. If you guys can suggest any alternatives, I'd appreciate it.

I'm keeping the Seasonic SS750-JS @ 5.6K because I would like to upgrade to a dual card setup after 2-3 years.

Last edited:
Thanks the1337est!

Nvidia just released its 7 series GPU, do you guys think it's going to be worth waiting for them to come to India? Or should I go ahead with the 7970?

I've taken Clius' rig and added in some elements of Ashish's suggestions. How is this as a PC?

Intel i5 3570 - 12000
Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H mobo - 6500
GSkill RipjawX F3-12800CL10S-8GBXL 8GB X 1 1600 MHz CL10 - 4K
Toshiba/ WB Blue 1TB 7200 RPM HDD - 3.8K
Corsair 400R Cabinet - 4.5K
Seasonic SS750-JS - 5.6K
Sapphire HD 7970 Dual Fan Version - 28K
Asus 24X SATA Black DVD R/W - 1K
Logitech K270 Wireless keyboard - 1085
Logitech M950 wireless mouse - 5.9k
X-Box wireless controller for PC - 3.4k

Total - 75,785

Goes a little above my budget because of all the wireless accessories. If you guys can suggest any alternatives, I'd appreciate it.

I'm keeping the Seasonic SS750-JS @ 5.6K because I would like to upgrade to a dual card setup after 2-3 years.
You are completely safe with HD7970

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Cilius config gets another vote, but you get WD AV-GP 1TB for about 4.3k, or else Toshiba DT01ACA 1TB drive.

I've taken Clius rig and added in some elements of Ashish's suggestions. How is this as a PC?

@Clius - Thanks for the response. I've got a few questions for you, but since this is the first time I'm building a custom rig, please forgive their 'noobness'.

@Cilus: Anything?? :lol:

On Topic: @Score89: if you are gonna go for dual card, do it now or within 2/3months. dont do it later.

and the i5 is all over better at gaming.. again, if you take i, you should also add a cooler, coz intel coolers are shyt.

OP
S

Score89

Broken In
@Cilus: Anything?? :lol:

On Topic: @Score89: if you are gonna go for dual card, do it now or within 2/3months. dont do it later.

the reason I said that i would want to upgrade to a dual card set up in a couple of years was because if a time came when a 7970 was not enough, I could just add another 7970 and chug the system along for some more time...If you think that just replacing the 7970 with a better card will be a better option, then I'm all ears.

and the i5 is all over better at gaming.. again, if you take i, you should also add a cooler, coz intel coolers are shyt.

Please suggest one :)

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
the reason I said that i would want to upgrade to a dual card set up in a couple of years was because if a time came when a 7970 was not enough, I could just add another 7970 and chug the system along for some more time...If you think that just replacing the 7970 with a better card will be a better option, then I'm all ears.

in a couple of years you wouldnt get a 7970 in the market. they'd all be EOL'd.

and on 1080p with ultra settings, a 7970 will be under stress at the end of the year.

so if you plan to upgrade then, get a new card, since new generations of GPUs are already in line.

Please suggest one :)

CM Hyper Evo 212

replied

ASHISH65

Technomancer
Intel stock coolers are perfectly sufficient for non-oc cpu. unless if you are in a poorly ventalated room, or a hot environment you may find that you want to look for a replacement of cooler

OP
S

Score89

Broken In
:lol:

actually, Push-Pull vs Push vs Pull hardly make a difference.

If you go for a Pull setup, you get space above DIMM slots, and install the high profile RAMs.

What're you guys talking about? :p

I have no idea what Pull-push is...

Intel stock coolers are perfectly sufficient for non-oc cpu. unless if you are in a poorly ventalated room, or a hot environment you may find that you want to look for a replacement of cooler

I'm in Delhi...a hot environment is pretty much a guarantee :(

As I'll be leaving the pc on for more than 24 hrs (downloading) at a time, should I slll invest in a cooler?

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
What're you guys talking about? :p

I have no idea what Pull-push is...

I'm in Delhi...a hot environment is pretty much a guarantee :(

As I'll be leaving the pc on for more than 24 hrs (downloading) at a time, should I slll invest in a cooler?

See this: Hyper 212+ testing, Push vs Pull vs Push Pull; Also Horizontal vs Vertical positioning

investing in a cpu cooler is always a good idea if you gonna leave it on all day. especially in delhi.

make the cabinet well ventilated.

^ if the fan in that room will stay on while the pc will be on, then stock cooler with good air flow, ventillation and cable management will be sufficient. Else, an aftermarket cooler will be good.

Top Bottom