3G services inaugurated in India

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Eureka, I got my 3G Activated BSNL SIM today. Its good & its bad.

*img24.imageshack.us/img24/8773/bsnl3gsim.jpg

After dissecting, I found that in real world usage, for voice & SMS, Vodafone & BSNL are almost same in cost.

I have 2 years incoming in my Vodafone SIM so each month I recharge with Rs 225 in which I get full talk value & then Rs 69 + Rs 31 + Rs 30 = Rs 355 to get Local On Air Calls at 40p, Off Air at 60p, STD at Rs 1 & 200 SMS anywhere in India. For my usage, Rs 255 talk value with the tariff vouchers is enough. In Lucknow, most of my communication is through Internet only so Rs 255 does suffice in a month. If not then I can still refill for Rs 100 in which I get Rs 88 talk value. Means for a total of Rs 455, I get Rs 343 which is indeed enough.

In case of BSNL, I have to pay a flat rate of Rs 600 a month. There is no lifetime incoming plan on the 3G SIM yet it seems. So after paying Rs 500 + Rs 69 + Rs 29 = Rs 598, I get 30 days validity, Rs 400 value, on air local calls at 20p, off air local at 40p, on air STD at 50p & off air STD at 75p which is less that what I am paying with Vodafone, & Local SMS at 10p while STD SMS at 50p which is costly compared to Vodafone cos in Vodafone I just have to pay Rs 30 for 200 SMS & no extra money.

However, it evens out cos the money I save in phone calls goes into SMSing & I do SMS a lot. Considering I am getting Rs 400 value, it can be exhausted but in reality I am paying more compared to Vodafone for almost same cost & features.

So, if it is only talking that I do & not the use of Internet via 3G a lot, then its better to go for BSNL 2G SIM as there are better tariff coupons available for it, else go for Vodafone in U.P East at least.

Now comes the 3G & Data part. In Vodafone, I pay 1p per K.B. Since I got BSNL broadband & Wi-Fi at home, I don't need internet in Mobile phone a lot & in a month my Data transfer is usually upto 5 MB. If I was in some other city then it would have been more for sure. With this rate I pay Rs 50 for 5 MB in a month on Vodafone, but with BSNL 3G I will be paying only Rs 15 in a month cos BSNL charges Rs 3 per MB for 3G if you do not have any Data plan subscribed. Since in Lucknow my 3G usage is low, this data plan suits me perfectly.

There is one catch though. Vodafone doesn't support POP3 & IMAP in Vodafone Live or HTTP due to which I am unable to receive my GMail, Yahoo & Hotmail and also unable to connect to chatting services using Slick. Vodafone charges Rs 200 extra for it per month. I hope BSNL 3G supports all this because if not, then there is no point in buying BSNL 3G for such a low data usage.

Vodafone supports connecting PC using Vodafone Live, I have yet to check whether BSNL 3G supports it or not.

On the BSNL 3G Tariff webpage, there is one line written which I am unable to interpret so I will ask about it tomorrow in the office.

v)The pulse rate for data usage shall be of 1 MB under all post/prepaid plans.
What does this means? Pulse rate in voice plan means that for every 60 second, I will have to pay 40p for off Air local calls. If the conversation is between 60 seconds & 120 seconds, I will still have to pay 40p more so a total of 80p whether I talk for 120 seconds or 90 seconds. However, i am unable to interpret & would like the help of some else already using it to interpret the same about data.

As said, Rs 3 is for each 1 MB of usage, but most of the time when I use GPRS I am only using 300 kb or 500 kb at a time, sometimes even 100 KB. Will I be charged Rs 3 whether I use 100 KB or whether I use 1024 KB? If this is the case then BSNL 3G will turn out to be utterly costly. If I am using Opera mini then checking some sites take only 10 to 20 kb like Orkut or Facebook mobile. In Vodafone I end up paying 20p only but then in BSNL 3G, I will have to pay Rs 3. In Vodafone, for Rs 3 i get 300 KB so yeah, it can be justified in this way.

So every month, after a flat payment of Rs 600, I get Rs 400 value, Local On Air calls at 20p, Local Off Air calls at 40p, On Air STD at 50p while Off Air STD at 75p, Local SMS at 10p & STD SMS at 50p & 3G at Rs 3/MB. Here is the thing, I guess BSNL 3G is not suitable or SMS junkies.

I will write here soon after testing BSNL 3G thoroughly as mentioned in my previous post.

Last edited:

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
Will I be charged Rs 3 whether I use 100 KB or whether I use 1024 KB?
I will write here soon after testing BSNL 3G thoroughly.

yeah....i think thats the case !! :oops:
pulse rate in data means whether u open a site nd use only even 10 KB u'll have to pay a min. charge, thats in ur case Rs.3

And surely, 3G will b costly in any case....!!!

Although, im eagrly waitin 4 ur 3G xperience review (purely about 3G speed n services n charges).....!!!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
^^Speed ke bare mein kuch likh bhai
Although, im eagrly waitin 4 ur 3G xperience review (purely about 3G speed n services n charges).....!!!
I forgot something. How to get BSNL 3G settings for my SIM? I tried a lot. Seems like call facility is activated on my phone but 3G isn't. I will ask tomorrow morning in customer care on how to get 3G settings for My Nokia N79

yeah....i think thats the case !! :oops:
pulse rate in data means whether u open a site nd use only even 10 KB u'll have to pay a min. charge, thats in ur case Rs.3
If that's the case, then I will go back to Vodafone soon. Don't find a use of 3G in Lucknow anyway. But good thing that the SIM can be used by my other family members in case I am not using it.

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I forgot to add to the initial post that I need to pay Rs 200 a month to Vodafone for Vodafone mobile connect after which I will be able to get POP3 & IMAP support, along with proper HTTP. So total cost comes to be about Rs 645 a month to get Rs 343 talktime, POP3, IMAP & HTTP.

If BSNL 3G supports all this, then it is overall cheaper compared to Vodafone.

When will call centers open :cry:

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
^^^ settings for N79 -> try either of these in access point -> gprsnorth3g.bsnlmobile.in

or gprseast3g.bsnlmobile.in
sud be the 1st 1 for u.
getting speeds of bout 100-160KBps.the prob is till now they dont hav option for MBV 3001 (unlimited net usage).also the net connection stopped working after i recharged with MBV 250 (300MB free download).b4 that it was working perfectly (Rs3/MB).getting HSDPA signal when downloading (HTC TyTN II)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
wait wait wait

1) I inserted the SIM. Phone works fine as call...then?
2) In case of GPRS activation I have to send "GPRS Pre" to 3733. What is it in case of 3G?
3) How do I get automatic settings for 3G for my N79?
4) Which phone r u using?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
That still doesn't give the 3G Settings.

@ Hellgate.

Where are you from? When I asked in the customer care today, the representative said there is some problem in Chandigarh Server due to 3G is not working for anyone.

Can you please write all the settings that you are using in your phone? I will manually try to configure 3G in my phone.

Also, when activating BSNL GPRS we have to send "GPRS Pre" to 3733. Is there something like this required to activate BSNL 3G?

Please mention your experience of setting up 3G from the start, from after inserting the SIM card:mrgreen:

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
the 3G net service becomes activated after u recharge with Super 350 (i.e after ur usim becomes activated).
u dont need to send any SMS to any number.
just enter the Access Point Name (APN) in ur connection settings and ur gud to go.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I got 3G working :D. However, I still get the "E" icon instead of "3G" Icon. Speed is nothing better then BSNL EDGE. 20 KBps OR 180 kbps max is what I was able to get which I also get in BSNL EDGE.

I went to settings & decide to create a new access point & gave the access point name as gprsnorth3g.bsnlmobile.in & got it working.

1) IMAP & POP3 E-Mail is supported. I am able to access my mails in my N79’s inbuilt mail client.
2) HTTP is supported. I am able to log in to chat networks using Slick.
3) FTP is also supported. ftp.gxsaurav.com works too using Webkit Browser.
4) Fring works fine, I can even make calls to people using Google Talk & skype on computers.
5) I haven’t been able to test Video call as there is no one to call yet.
6) SymTorrent works fine for downloading Torrents.

The bad part is that he pulse is of 1 MB & you have to pay Rs 3/mb. I used opera Mini & downloaded 40 KB of data, but still I had to pay Rs 3. Considering that I don't use GPRS of phone much instead of when I am outside & that is only to access mails or check out some information like movie schedules while sitting at a friend's home, this isn't that costly. My maximum bill in a month will be Rs 30 approx for 3G Data.

3G is costly though. Considering that after paying Rs 600 a month flat I get 30 days validity, Voice & SMS costs as mentioned previously, & access to IMAP & POP3, BSNL 3G isn't a bad deal. Even BSNL 2G isn't a bad deal as far as features are concerned.

I am unable to make video calls though. @Hellgate, can you P.M me your phone number? I will try making a video call to you. When I make Video calls to anyone else, it says "feature not supported by network". I don't know if it is saying about my network or the other friend's network cos they r regular non-3G users.

Last edited:

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
^^^ and i think that u havent selected UMTS only in ur network selection menu.u've dual mode enabled.switch to UMTS only & u'll surely get 3.5G/HSDPA speeds.:D
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
as far as video call is concerned did u check the tick box where it was mentioned Video Calling?
Posted again:
u were required to do that when u had filled up the application form for 3G.
Posted again:
u were required to do that when u had filled up the application form for 3G.

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
^^^ and i think that u haven't selected UMTS only in ur network selection menu.u've dual mode enabled.switch to UMTS only & u'll surely get 3.5G/HSDPA speeds.

Eureka, dude I love you now (as a brother though :-o). I did this & now I am getting HSDPA compatible speeds. My Symtorrent download skyrocketd to 60 KBps. Also, now instead of "E", "3.5G" is written when using data. Here is a screenshot of Symtorrent which i was able to take before speed throttled. The network is 3.5G.

*img27.imageshack.us/img27/6311/35g.png

This is good. Now I feel that Rs 3/MB is really high prise :p & Rs 250 for 300 MB in a month is better then Rs 3/MB but then again, my previous assumption remains same. I don't have to use 3G that much in Lucknow.

as far as video call is concerned did u check the tick box where it was mentioned Video Calling?

Yup, its activated. Now after selecting UMTS, I am able to make video calls although the other party is using 2G Network so can't test. I will try to test it calling at your number tomorrow, check your P.M Inbox.

I have also posted my experience on my blog, have a look

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Eureka, even Video calling works. I just called Hellgate who is using BSNL 3G with his HTC Tytn 2. I was able to capture a screenshot but his side of video was not captured. He took a video, i hope he uploads it here

*farm4.static.flickr.com/3604/3372458270_b46525f4d3.jpg?v=0

Last edited:

dissel

Cyborg Agent
*img14.imageshack.us/img14/6459/21032009037z.th.jpg

Today's The Telegraph (Kolkata edition) BSNL Launches Blackberry for it's 3g service.
Listed model in the AD:-

8700g
Curve
Perl 8120
Bold 9000

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom