256kbps unlimited internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
Hi,

I want a 256kbps unlimited internet connection. Which one is the best, available in Kolkata? Please do not suggest me BSNL dataone. I want options other than BSNL dataone.

I was thinking of Airtel. According to the information available on www.airtelbroadband.in, the 256kbps unlimited connection is available for Rs.649 plus taxes and I also get a phone with Rs.100 local talktime per billing cycle. See the attached pdf file. And what is the fair usage policy? Will my data transfer limit be capped?

How is Tata Indicom photon or whatever they are advertising? I found it too expensive, as is Reliance Netconnect.

Please give your suggestions. Should I go for Airtel?

Thanks for your replies.

Edit: I am not being able to upload a file as attachment. Please excuse.

Last edited:

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
^ FUP has not been implemented yet, methinks; otherwise I would have had a crippled Internet connection by now :D

It basically means that once you exceed the download limit for the month, your connection speed is halved for the rest of the month.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
if you are going to have 256kbps, you will never be effected by Fair Use Policy as Airtel can't reduce speed below 256kbps (as per TRAI rule) for broadband connections.

Go for Airtel :)

No FUP for 256kbps as TRAI states that all connections above and equal to 256 kbps is broadband, anything below that means that they could revoke Airtel's license

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
If you are not a download junkie, you can also consider 4GB @ 2 MBPS plan fro Airtel; its kicks some serious ass!!! I think its costs Rs. 1000/month.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
I am into Tata and trust me, they dont deserve the negative publicity they get.Awesome speed, good prices and a happy customer. :)

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^dude. I used TATA internet and it was pathetic. bad speeds, bad support. They ask me to renew my connection every month still when I had it disconnected in Jaunary!!!

unni

In the zone
I was using Tata Indicom WiMax for about 5 months. In the first 3 months, it was very good, only 15-20 hours downtime max. However, during the last 2 months, connection disruptions became more and more frequent. During the first week of June, it didn't work from Thursday 10.30 pm. When I checked on Friday 9 pm, it was working. Then again, at 10.30 (same day) it stopped working. Me and my friend spend close to 150 minutes on phone with customer care. The connection became ok only by Sunday 6 pm. I expected a refund for this, but nothing.

Also, I got calls from CC asking me to upgrade to higher plan or face disruptions in connection twice during the last 2 months, since I have exceeded the fair usage limit of 45 GB. So, I have requested for termination of this connection.

Guess I will go with AirTel 256 kbps or BSNL EVDO.

Last edited:

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Though I hate to recommend and use Airtel services, however I think Airtel is the best choice here. Their service is good, consumer care less so.

If you are not a download junkie, you can also consider 4GB @ 2 MBPS plan fro Airtel; its kicks some serious ass!!! I think its costs Rs. 1000/month.

I have this exact plan. Speeds are good, but the limited 4GB does hurt.

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Then you guys have not experienced Sify service; its a total $hit. I have suffered for 2 long years as I didn't had options. Average downtime of 5-6 days/month, useless dialer for Linux, frequent disconnections while in Linux, 256 felt like 128, clueless agents, restrictions of not using more thn two machine on one connection, I used to get renewal calls even after renewing:-D... etc...etc...

In short they are ISP from hell...

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Then you guys have not experienced Sify service; its a total $hit. I have suffered for 2 long years as I didn't had options. Average downtime of 5-6 days/month, useless dialer for Linux, frequent disconnections while in Linux, 256 felt like 128, clueless agents, restrictions of not using more thn two machine on one connection, I used to get calls for renewal even after renewing:-D... etc...etc...

In short they are ISP from hell...

Satyam... :lol:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
True. Local broadband providers used to be much better than Sify. I moved from Sity to TATA and finally to Airtel. Airtel is the only connection where there happened to be only 1 downtime in three months. It just never disconnects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom