24/7 Torrentbox

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
BTW guys, Windows 10 will be inbuilt in pi 2 or we need to install it?

And if we need to install it, is it free for pi users?

you need to download the iso(from official site) and flash it onto a new mSD (or full format an old mSD using SD Formatter) using something likw WintoFlash.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
using my last mobile (LG Optimus One) as torrentbox since a year. the only downside is the FAT32 partition. there are guides for changing partition type. if you can grab one of the 2010-12 mobiles for around 1.5-2k, go for it. raspberry pi 2 will be the better choice but overall cost will be several times more but well within your budget.

do check if Xperia U supports USB OTG using some custom rom or hacks. that should turn it into a torrentbox without selling out for another device.

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Costlier and have to be plugged into the display unit all the time as mostly are USB powered. :|
For around 6K you will get devices with 2GB RAM and quad core processor, they use 2-5 watt and almost like a MINI CPU as they don't need USB to power.
eg: Android Smart TV BOX Quad Core 2GB RAM 8GB Flash Android 4 2 Wifi LAN USB Hdmi | eBay

You get HDD support, you actually get another PC with IR remote ..
I have plan to add one, just looking for some well known brand with good after sales, amkette or intex may do as no big brand have yet launched any such mini PC.

And not to forget, everything is built in from WIFI to Bluetooth.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Costlier and have to be plugged into the display unit all the time as mostly are USB powered. :|

and poorly made usually also,I would like to add
also android sticks run buggy versions of android

- - - Updated - - -

For around 6K you will get devices with 2GB RAM and quad core processor, they use 2-5 watt and almost like a MINI CPU as they don't need USB to power.
eg: Android Smart TV BOX Quad Core 2GB RAM 8GB Flash Android 4 2 Wifi LAN USB Hdmi | eBay

You get HDD support, you actually get another PC with IR remote ..
I have plan to add one, just looking for some well known brand with good after sales, amkette or intex may do as no big brand have yet launched any such mini PC.

And not to forget, everything is built in from WIFI to Bluetooth.

6K for a branded one is a bit too much
you might as well get something like a Pi or even an Intel NUC for 10k
Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH - Intel Celeron Processor N2820, DDR3 Barebone Mini PC - Buy Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH - Intel Celeron Processor N2820, DDR3 Barebone Mini PC Online at best price in India : Flipkart.com

or a barebones thin client like Dell T50 for 6k
Dell T50 - Wyse Ubuntu linux, VIA VX855, Armada 510 1GHz, 16 MB Graphics Card, 1 GB DDR3, 1 GB SDD 1 Mini PC - Buy Dell T50 - Wyse Ubuntu linux, VIA VX855, Armada 510 1GHz, 16 MB Graphics Card, 1 GB DDR3, 1 GB SDD 1 Mini PC Online at best price in In

Id still stick with Pi 2 though,power consumption is less and it has multiple possibilities,uses and support
plus has a great form factor and supports IOT Windows 10
and even supports displays such as this if you need-
*www.crazypi.com/4D-CAPE-43T-beaglebone-lcd-touch-screen

- - - Updated - - -

BTW guys, Windows 10 will be inbuilt in pi 2 or we need to install it?

And if we need to install it, is it free for pi users?

you have to install it
itll be free for Pi 2 users,it will release soon I guess
they just released Windows 10 for Phone last night which has ARM support
So Im guessing they will release the technical preview for Pi as well soon

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I have been downloading almost 24x7 since 2006, I keep my PC on all the time, I would say the PC isn't really much of a power hungry device at idle, just uTorrent running in the background, monitor turned off at 1 Minute of idle time. It's better to use the PC as an all in one device for downloading, than spend money to buy a new device for downloading, spend time and effort on transferring data to PC, etc.

Just my personal opinion.
How much is the electricity bill u r paying?

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
^^Laptop for 24/7 ?
How long you've been downloading ;)

downloading (ie, p2p), precisely since 2009 (AFAIR). but have never been a download-junkie. i download too less to qualify being labelled as a proper 'downloader' these days. although my laptop's mostly kept ON, as i use it more as a browsing and note-taking machine, while at other times its kept in hibernation, i don't download 24x7. never kept my NAS/router too on a 24x7 DL-op. don't find the need; nor have any interest in anime, manga, tv-shows, and the likes. ;)

but a laptop could be used for long download-hours, kept on a cooler and an extra fan handy, if need be. i have a fan for that, but it was never needed to be used. two fellows in this thread themselves use a laptop/PC for 24x7 op, but i personally am not the advocate of 24x7 use, for either PC/laptop or a NAS (RPi, may be; small box anyway, but haven't used it), as a machine's life and upkeep are also dear to me. some hours of rest & aftercare should be allowed for even those poor, overworked, (but) valuable e-brains of burden! one still sees my 8-year laptop and wonders in amazement at its looking almost as good as new. :mrgreen:

Last edited:

ankush28

Bazinga
Get a router that supports dd-wrt and transmission. (With usb slot obviously). Add 32/64gb usb2.0 pen drive.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Get a router that supports dd-wrt and transmission. (With usb slot obviously). Add 32/64gb usb2.0 pen drive.

:+1:

for simple download-needs (even for YT), even this should suffice; although would suggest to get a used one, set-up with the reqd. stuff, as a new one may cost you equivalent/more than an RPi 2.

Last edited:

ankush28

Bazinga
Pros:
RPi2:
You'll learn how to use RPi :p
Can be used for many many more cool diy stuffs.

Router with ddwrt:
Less electricity cost
less initial cost (sell your current router)
much easy to use
less clutter

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Pros:
RPi2:
You'll learn how to use RPi :p
Can be used for many many more cool diy stuffs.

Router with ddwrt:
Less electricity cost
less initial cost (sell your current router)
much easy to use
less clutter

:agreed: again! :razz:

was just going to write that with RPi 2, you would've the benefit(s) of learning new things on/about it, multi-use, and esp. since there're better (& perhaps more) guides on using and setting it up, plus probably support from other users, than the ddwrt/optware scene, which, though the latter's easy to use after you set up the router with it, but since past few months, it has become quite a confusing quagmire, esp. for those new to them!

Akshay Biyani

Broken In
Any probability of creating a torrent box for under 1.5k ? I am using a Reliance netconnect plus dongle and want to download 24*7 ? Would a micromax 440w router + power bank suffice or something similar from tplink ?

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Any probability of creating a torrent box for under 1.5k ? I am using a Reliance netconnect plus dongle and want to download 24*7 ? Would a micromax 440w router + power bank suffice or something similar from tplink ?

can't comment on the dongle-use aspect, but if you look into the classifieds section of the forums, you might get a downloading-device (router or otherwise) for much less. for instance, i got a Pogoplug Pro sometime back from a forum for 700/-. is that micromax router capable of running ddwrt/openwrt/tomato firmware? i doubt it though.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW

dunno about the reliance netconnect thing but you can get a Pi or an android stick which supports dongles

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Raspberry Pi Model A Revision 2.0 - 256 Mb RAM, 1 USB, HDMI - 1.8 k new ,
or this ,read the lat review..Cisco Linksys WRT54GH Wireless-G Home Router - Cisco Linksys : Flipkart.com

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Raspberry Pi Model A Revision 2.0 - 256 Mb RAM, 1 USB, HDMI - 1.8 k new ,
or this ,read the lat review..Cisco Linksys WRT54GH Wireless-G Home Router - Cisco Linksys : Flipkart.com

personally the Raspberry Pi seems like a better option
that cisco router has bad reviews all over the internet,still ddwrt-compatibility for that price is great

OP
aytus

aytus

The Boss
Well i guess that the phone heats up is not a valid concern, additionally im already running cm11 on xperia u, getting otg support is not an issue,but, charging the phone and usbotg at the same time is the issue since i hav only one mUSB port and no SD card option in that :(

I am not sure about the ddwrt router scene. I have no experience whatsoever. I currently have a WA3002G4 which btw has developed a strange problem, the ssid wont show up after start sometimes if i switch on my router if any kind of encryption is on. To resolve it i had to restart my router and once the ssid shows up everything goes ok. Well in the meantime i have worked out a solution, atm just keeping my ssid hidden, using open networks and mac filter. and just happy with the way things are. I once updated its firmware .. with some files posted by someone on another forum... but heck even that didnt solve the problem (duhh.. why did i write all this??)... o yeah.. basically no experience with ddwrt scene...

i have a laptop that i bought recently.. Y50-70, but its on the move with me, cant use that, desktop is the one thats in my siggy, i dont think its wise to run that 24/7, .

Im considering the pi as the best option,, maybe bcos of that tinkerbug .. maybe bcos of all those vids controlling those relays from that nifty little gpio.. maybe just the fun of trying out something new..

so started searchin.. on ebay and yes indeed found a listing for 3200 after discounts.
Seems like that desktop will have to do without my microsoft wireless desktop 800 keyboard and mouse combo.. i hope it works with the pi .. right?

secondly is 16GB card better off then a 8GB card for pi 2? u guys think win 10 Iot will need that much? additionally those hp cards seem to come along with that adaptor.. that i hope will lemme pop it directly in my lappy.. but those are class 10.. although it seems like a higher class.. pi guys seem to recommend class 6 .. i guess random seek times increase with higher class.. but that adaptor :(.. i guess this hp card will probably do.??

and believe it or not.. but i still watch tv on my crt .. so hdmi wont do.. need a 3.5mm to rca ... which is FRE Ship 24K Gold Plated 3 5mm Stereo TO 3 RCA AV Cable Audio Video 4 Camcorder | eBay this one that i plan on buying.

Now last thing is the charger.. my s3 charger seems okiesh at 1amp.. at 5v.. which translates to 5w and consumption as told by u guys hovers around 2 to 3 watts... but that keyboard and mouse dongle. + my 32 GB sandisk usb drive... I will be trying to run it on my s3 charger first.. but im still looking for some 2amp chargers... seems like those galaxy notes and tabs come with one.. so aftermarket ones with decent quality should be available.. infact belkin has one with two usb ports each runnin at 2.1 amps.. which can prove handy. .. when i may plan on adding that external usb HDD.. but that thing dosent come with a cable.. duhh... please guide me on this one.

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
Im considering the pi as the best option,, maybe bcos of that tinkerbug .. maybe bcos of all those vids controlling those relays from that nifty little gpio.. maybe just the fun of trying out something new..

so started searchin.. on ebay and yes indeed found a listing for 3200 after discounts.
Seems like that desktop will have to do without my microsoft wireless desktop 800 keyboard and mouse combo.. i hope it works with the pi .. right?

secondly is 16GB card better off then a 8GB card for pi 2? u guys think win 10 Iot will need that much? additionally those hp cards seem to come along with that adaptor.. that i hope will lemme pop it directly in my lappy.. but those are class 10.. although it seems like a higher class.. pi guys seem to recommend class 6 .. i guess random seek times increase with higher class.. but that adaptor :(.. i guess this hp card will probably do.??

and believe it or not.. but i still watch tv on my crt .. so hdmi wont do.. need a 3.5mm to rca ... which is FRE Ship 24K Gold Plated 3 5mm Stereo TO 3 RCA AV Cable Audio Video 4 Camcorder | eBay this one that i plan on buying.

Now last thing is the charger.. my s3 charger seems okiesh at 1amp.. at 5v.. which translates to 5w and consumption as told by u guys hovers around 2 to 3 watts... but that keyboard and mouse dongle. + my 32 GB sandisk usb drive... I will be trying to run it on my s3 charger first.. but im still looking for some 2amp chargers... seems like those galaxy notes and tabs come with one.. so aftermarket ones with decent quality should be available.. infact belkin has one with two usb ports each runnin at 2.1 amps.. which can prove handy. .. when i may plan on adding that external usb HDD.. but that thing dosent come with a cable.. duhh... please guide me on this one.

Go for Pi. It is the best low cost option. I have tried android tablet, but there were many problems. First, it is not easy to configure the tablet for download to NTFS partition. The tab should support OTG function, you have to root the tab, install ntfs driver and so on. NTFS support is a big issue for me as most of my downloads are bigger than 5GB.

Don't bother about keyboard, mouse or display. You don't need them for Pi. What you will need:

1. Raspberry Pi. B+ recommended or wait for Pi2
2. microSD Card 8GB. Even 4GB will work.
3. A min 1A usb power supply and micro usb cable. 2A is recommended if you wish to use portable hdd.
4. 32GB pendrive for download location.
5. Optional Wi-Fi dongle.
6. A router. I assume you already have one.
7. A microsd card reader for installing the OS in Windows. You can even use a phone and use the mass storage option.

mitraark

Decrepit
My electricity bill is around 600-800 during winter and 1300-1600 in summer.

Seeing all recommending Raspberry Pi, it looks to be a really good option if you're looking at downloading stuff like movies and deleting them after watching them. But for people who require downloading very large quantities it'd be a lot of trouble downloading and moving it to PC, or seed it for extended periods.

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Not seeding ? ;) pendrive is a good option.I read somewhere that class 4 sd cards are better for pi.Well if you're making a torrentbox any rpi would do the trick.Rp b or b plus

Top Bottom