24/7 Torrentbox

aytus

The Boss
Hey! .. Well lately ive been in a strange kind of a dilemma. Well firstly, sorry if this is not the right section for posting such a query but it seemed the most appropriate to me.

I have recently converted my BSNL BB connection to Unlimited, and download speeds are in the realms of 50KBps now. That translates to a requirement of a 24/7 torrentbox as its not sustainable to run a Full fledged PC for downloading my torrents anymore.

Now i have summarized the requirement as something that is within a budget of 5k, I should be able to add torrents from anywhere through internet, runs on very low power requirements. Im looking at the following alternatives:

1. Android phone: Already have an S3 that i can spare for this, but without an SD card. Although that would leave me only with an Xperia U( which dosent have a card slot :(, otherwise i would have allotted that for this purpose ) as my everyday phone , hence i am considering this as my last option.

For this Need to buy: A 32 or maybe 64GB SD card for torrents running bigger then 32 GB, but will need to give up my everyday phone.

2. Raspberry Pi 2 : with the new launch this option looks promising. Although not that much into programming, i think i can manage with Pi and running those sudo apt-get install everything scripts :).

For This need to buy: Pi, power supply, 8GB SD card, 3.5mm to RCA, if i go with this option then will be using my 32GB sandisk USB drive atm, maybe will buy an external HDD later down the road.

3. A new router with support for USB drive and torrents. will be using same 32GB pendrive with this and maybe an external HDD later down the road.

4. Maybe some low end android phone that supports 64GB card and can download torrents over wifi along with a 64GB card.

For those who have experience with this, what according to you will be the best approach?
All help appreciated.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Raspberry pi 2 or a mini pc is the best option imho,phones tend to heat up with torrents sometimes and its a pain to transfer back and forth to your main rig
I myself use my old vaio as a torrent box

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
get the Raspberry pi2 with 16 GB class 10 micro sd card and add a USB hdd to it.

@mods please rename this section to Mobile and Tablet Buying Advice, many people are posting in the wrong section. :|

mitraark

Decrepit
I have been downloading almost 24x7 since 2006, I keep my PC on all the time, I would say the PC isn't really much of a power hungry device at idle, just uTorrent running in the background, monitor turned off at 1 Minute of idle time. It's better to use the PC as an all in one device for downloading, than spend money to buy a new device for downloading, spend time and effort on transferring data to PC, etc.

Just my personal opinion.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Raspberry Pi becomes a Torrent box

• by:Brian Benchoff

If you’re making a media server out of a Raspberry Pi, why not add an interface to the biggest torrent sites on the Internet? That’s what [Alan] did when he wanted an automated media downloader that can stream movies and TV shows to any device.
[Alan]’s torrent box is basically a web app running on a Raspberry Pi. By accessing the Pi from the browser of a desktop or mobile device, he can search a collection of torrent sites and download just about everything to the Pi with a touch of a button. Once the files are downloaded, the Pi is able to move them to any directory, either locally or on a network, or just serve them up on a TV with a media player.
While we’re not endorsing file sharing, we can’t think of a simpler way to set up a seedbox that draws a minuscule amount of power. It’s a great addition to any media server, and a great way to get the latest season of <<Linux Distribution>> streaming to your TV.

Posted in Raspberry Pi
Taken from:Raspberry Pi becomes a Torrent box | Hackaday

kalam_gohab

Ambassador of Buzz
I think you need to buy an USB hub too for connecting mouse, keyboard and external hard drive (optional)..

You can avoid this if you can manage to control pi wirelessly without filling the USB slot.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
if you have an old laptop that you don't use (much), or not for important work, then relegate it for the downloading needs. i have an optware-enabled router, a seagate goflex home with debian, and a pogoplug pro, all got for downloading needs. however, after i revived my old laptop, i find the former 3 crying for my attention to be used as frequently as earlier. all those nights spent scavenging various forums and net-pages in order to set-up those things and 'sudo apt-getting' this-and-that seemed to have gone to drain! i will have to revisit everything in order to use them at times now, as much of it has gone to the backbench of my memory, all thanks to the laptop! since i download YT videos too and do some heavy browsing, i find it providing much more flexibility than packages that let you download videos from YT on your NAS. i will now be reformatting my laptop and upgrading the OS to Win 7 from XP in order to turn it into more of a media-sharing and streaming machine, and avail the 7's benefits to that end.

but if you don't have a laptop, well, then yes, RPi 2 or something! :D
there are some other devices too for that purpose (and perhaps better), like Odroid-C1, etc., though not sure about the price. there's atleast one Indian portal that lists them, so you don't have to import. i think you may be knowing about all this anyway. keep the thread updated.

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
I'm using Raspberry Pi model B for 24x7 downloads on BSNL broadband for the last one year. 8GB SD card for OS and a 32GB pendrive for Downloads. Transmission and Deluge are the clients used. Prior to that I was using a PC. The immediate change when I switched to Raspberry is the savings on electricity. The Raspberry consumes around 2W only where as my old PC consumes around 100W. The electricity bill is reduced drastically.

You don't need keyboard, mouse or display for Raspberry. All can be configured and controlled from a network connected laptop or PC. The only downside is that I can't seed for long as I need to remove files from the pendrive to make space for downloads. A portable hdd will help.

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
I'm using Raspberry Pi model B for 24x7 downloads on BSNL broadband for the last one year. 8GB SD card for OS and a 32GB pendrive for Downloads. Transmission and Deluge are the clients used. Prior to that I was using a PC. The immediate change when I switched to Raspberry is the savings on electricity. The Raspberry consumes around 2W only where as my old PC consumes around 100W. The electricity bill is reduced drastically.

You don't need keyboard, mouse or display for Raspberry. All can be configured and controlled from a network connected laptop or PC. The only downside is that I can't seed for long as I need to remove files from the pendrive to make space for downloads. A portable hdd will help.
perfect reply!

Can you provide tutorial to make torrent box?

And where I can buy Raspberry 2 in India

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku

see instructables, there are man tutorials availiable there. Also buy from ebay.in IMO. You get 10% off coupons so you save a lot. Wait for some time for a shop to sell RPi 2 on ebay.

And RPi doesnt have wifi, buy a Rs200 wifi adapter and configure it.

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz

It is very easy to configure. A basic knowledge in linux is desirable, but not necessary. I basically followed guides available in raspberry forum. If you have any doubts, contact me and I'm happy to help you.

kalam_gohab

Ambassador of Buzz
BTW guys, Windows 10 will be inbuilt in pi 2 or we need to install it?

And if we need to install it, is it free for pi users?

Top Bottom