101 reasons not to buy a windows phone 7.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

red dragon

Master troll
Anyone remember cupcake?It was far worse than the current winmo.
Hell!Android after so many years could not find an alarm which works when the phone is turned off!
Unless Google do something about the battery drain pretty soon,they should stop boasting about true multitasking.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Unless Google do something about the battery drain pretty soon,they should stop boasting about true multitasking.

Well, not being an fan boy here, but just want to clarify one thing.
Much of the battery drain in Android depends on how have the device been configured. A properly configured device (read non bloated apps and good ROM) have gone as far as 11 days with moderate use! My own device runs for about 36 hours on moderate use and data ON all the time.
But my friend's Android doesn't even run for 20 hours without recharge since he never optimize it (doesn't remove stock apps, dont reduce brightness etc).

And one of the major reasons for battery drain sometimes is Wake Locks, which in easy language is "a fault in the app causing it not to goto sleep mode" and is NOT a fault of Android OS.

I think the amount of battery which Android takes is justified because of the efficiency it provides (by becoming a mini PC). :D

sygeek

Technomancer
^That's because your friend is your everyday average user like the other 90%. This is where android lacks tbh. Why doesn't the device come preconfigured with the best settings for his phone? Do you guys even get to configure your phone at the first bootup along with the information how it'll affect the performance (battery)?

red dragon

Master troll
Well, not being an fan boy here, but just want to clarify one thing.

And one of the major reasons for battery drain sometimes is Wake Locks, which in easy language is "a fault in the app causing it not to goto sleep mode" and is NOT a fault of Android OS.

I think the amount of battery which Android takes is justified because of the efficiency it provides (by becoming a mini PC). :D

The wake locks are not always rogue apps,as a matter of fact most the wake locks are associated with system apps/processes.
It IS the fault of the o.s.
The poor power management is not at all justified in a mobile phone,no matter how powerful/efficient it is.
Recently played with the oneX,it`s battery life is a joke on 3G!

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hell!Android after so many years could not find an alarm which works when the phone is turned off!
To implement that kind of thing - you need a firmware + OS approach. Or a minimal process running in background even when the phone is *switched off*. So, switch off != switch off. Only Symbian/Meego/Feature phones do this.

For iOS, Android and Windows Phone - switch off = switch off. Alarm won't work. Use flight mode. :)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^That's because your friend is your everyday average user like the other 90%. This is where android lacks tbh. Why doesn't the device come preconfigured with the best settings for his phone? Do you guys even get to configure your phone at the first bootup along with the information how it'll affect the performance (battery)?

Lol, never really thought it this way. But on second thought, the reason why the device don't come preconfigured with the phone is because of manufacturers. They "love" to bundle Bloatwares with every device they ship. :/

Apple's iPhone have the advantage of being developed on single standards, which may not be possible on Android.

Anyway, you are correct partly.

I have this 2 year old E63 (for Fandroids, it's a Symbian S60v3 device), and last year while I was drunk and jumping the hostel gate, I forgot to take it from the concrete wall. It stayed there for the whole night, for which there was 3 - 4 hours of rain.

Next day, I went and took the phone, kept it under a 60W incandescent bulb for 12 hours and the phone was back in perfect condition. The battery was not at all affected by this. It still runs for a week and a half on standby and 5 - 6 days on furious usage including wifi for 3 hours a day. (yes we had wifi back then)

Nokia's apps are the most researched ones, and symbian labs was the best R & D there was. I think that ethics are being followed still. They focus on what a regular user wants and not what a typical geek would drool over.

Tamoghno

Padawan
market have rejected WP7. look at the Lumia 800 price freefall. or even worse look at the 2nd hand price of lumia 800. nobody wants Windows phone. end of story.

Microsoft / Nokia themselves said that their primary target for WP users is the ones upgrading from featurephone . they were right , WP7 for now feels like a featurephone glorified with app support. its not for those who are used to capabilities of Symbian or Android.

sygeek

Technomancer
market have rejected WP7. look at the Lumia 800 price freefall. or even worse look at the 2nd hand price of lumia 800. nobody wants Windows phone. end of story.

Microsoft / Nokia themselves said that their primary target for WP users is the ones upgrading from featurephone . they were right , WP7 for now feels like a featurephone glorified with app support. its not for those who are used to capabilities of Symbian or Android.
If you compare how good a phone just by how it performs in the market, all symbian phones should be epicly awesome then.

I have this 2 year old E63 (for Fandroids, it's a Symbian S60v3 device), and last year while I was drunk and jumping the hostel gate, I forgot to take it from the concrete wall. It stayed there for the whole night, for which there was 3 - 4 hours of rain.

Next day, I went and took the phone, kept it under a 60W incandescent bulb for 12 hours and the phone was back in perfect condition. The battery was not at all affected by this. It still runs for a week and a half on standby and 5 - 6 days on furious usage including wifi for 3 hours a day. (yes we had wifi back then)

Nokia's apps are the most researched ones, and symbian labs was the best R & D there was. I think that ethics are being followed still. They focus on what a regular user wants and not what a typical geek would drool over.
Yeah, Nokia phones are known to have a pretty good build quality. I doubt any other phone can come at par with this.

R2K

In the Zone
Before ICS, Android's design was like the sewer next to my house. Now, it at least looks like a proper waste disposal plant :p

Android UI can be customized according to Users taste easily. Even a noob can do so to a large extent by just installing a custom launcher for android.:|:|

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
Android UI can be customized according to Users taste easily. Even a noob can do so to a large extent by just installing a custom launcher for android.:|:|

Even new users with little experience can do it, but gxsaurav cannot be bothered...

pratyush997

Inactive
If microsoft wants to beat Android and apple,,,,,wp7 must have to go open source so that modders/coders can make cfw/c roms easily providing unlocked bootloaders and apply tweaks

sujoyp

Grand Master
WP7 is the competitor or IOS and not android....its the undeniable truth

There is no point in discussing an open source OS with a close environment OS like IOS and WP7

If Iphone with IOS can be the top selling cellphone in the world so can the WP7

IOS is on its 4-5 update cycle and WP7 is on just 2nd....give it some time :)

I think gxsaurav meant the overall OS design and not the stupid UI.
I was never a fan of app tiles, and the idea of putting everything you got on a single screen is just not worth my pennies.

Just so there is some clear wind, I support Nokia because of their overall feature. They have the best warranty service, customer support, build quality and the best R & D out there. I also happen to be a windows fanboi so that would obviously make me a WP7 supporter.

Crying about the number of applications on the market is just premature. Symbian never even had a marketplace until Ovi store(now Nokia store) was set up. These thousands of applications you claim are copies of one another and pointless crap like a fingerprint reader. A true mobile user would account to the durability, standby, power and most of all *does not crash when refreshing page* type of os. For that, the Nokia 1100 wins, end of discussion.

clmlbx

Technomancer
But poor people wouldn't care to buy high end phones at the first place. Everyone uses a phone nowadays, even those sabzi walas.

:confused::confused: where did I said to get High end.. and for poor I was just giving my opinion for what I think or what I would have done in their circumstances . Wait and collect to get a good branded type phone rather then Chinese phones.

I am looking for high end phone and am sliding toward s3 .. most probably I am gonna buy it..

Iphone is the answer for that in bold. .. android comes with flexibility, to push where you want to either to performance or looks

Sujeet

Undead!!!
Crying about the number of applications on the market is just premature. Symbian never even had a marketplace until Ovi store(now Nokia store) was set up. These thousands of applications you claim are copies of one another and pointless crap like a fingerprint reader. A true mobile user would account to the durability, standby, power and most of all *does not crash when refreshing page* type of os. For that, the Nokia 1100 wins, end of discussion.

QFT.
Fandroids have taken up the no-of-app-sh#t too much.Its just not worth it anymore.
A tons of apps with little difference hardly matters.
It should get the job done in first Place.
Its the Phone and Usability in offline mode(i.e no app mania) that should matter.

CloudS

Broken In
1. No true multitasking - apps are frozen in the background.
Its possible to do that, the app will actually run but yes by default its frozen
2. No Divx/Xvid video codec support. Zune will convert with loss of quality.
3. No mass storage mode.
What? Its's there, perhaps not for all phones but its there
4. No micro-SD card support.
Not applicable to all
5. Only support up to 16GB storage .
Not true
6. No filemanager. Directory system is totally opaque.
Again, its there
7. Need Zune to transfer files. Zune will only transfer photos, videos & music. All other files need to email/upload to yourself.
8. Your contact details are automatically uploaded to cloud service whether you like it or not.
I don't think so
9. Limited to 800x480 resolution.
10. No wi-fi hotspot.
False

The list is totally false, after 10 I didn't even read those. Don't know from where did you got that list.

kartikoli

Busy!!
78. If you receive a text message when talking on the phone an audio alert will blast your ear at the full volume set. All other phones will give a soft beep.

thanks ... just cancelled my payment for a window phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom