Your Favorite Desktop Environment

Your Favorite Desktop Environment?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

faraaz

Evil Genius
Hi All,

Just a general poll I wanted to conduct to see what everyone prefers here. Pretty selfexplanatory really...what is your favorite desktop environment, and why?? What makes you love it so much?

I'm a noob still with Linux, so if I missed out on any other major options, just vote for Other and talk about it in your post!!

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Unfortunately, I see no poll. But haven't there been many threads same as these? With none escaping the flames and the constructive comparision of course.

Edit: Ah I see one now. Voted my opinion.

praka123

left this forum longback
i think another poll is there already or does it get down with days :D
I remember voting maybe one month back :p
I like Gnome,xfce and many things which are gtk+ 2.Always runs latest Gnome(which is hard to get,as distros dont pack the latest) with Debian Sid and Ubuntu Feisty.
but dont hate Kde as earlier does ;) I already tried kde4,looks remained the same for me.

news:I read somewhere that Europeans love Kde(suse) and in US Gnome got maximum users.dont know iftis true or not ;)

Last edited:
OP
faraaz

faraaz

Evil Genius
Oh, sorry about the multiple poll...I wanted to see what your opinions were. I was still a bit of noob, so I wanted to see if there's anything cool about the DEs that I didn't know.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
KDE, very Windows Like & familier. Though I don't like teh over cluttered KDE File browser & Like Nautilas instead. Good thing it is changing in KDE 4

mak1012

Journeyman
sorry to ask here

but i really dont no what is Gnome and KDE... i had installed fedora 4 and Ubuntu 6 but i really dont know which desktop environment they use and wht is different they use between them.

The Outsider

Beneath The Eyelids
mak1012 said:
sorry to ask here

but i really dont no what is Gnome and KDE... i had installed fedora 4 and Ubuntu 6 but i really dont know which desktop environment they use and wht is different they use between them.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_environment
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDE

praka123

left this forum longback
mak1012 said:
sorry to ask here

Fedora and Ubuntu are Gnome distros.though kde is available.Ubuntu been a complete Gnome distro which packs latest stable Gnome release.Fedora customizes(afaik) Both Gnome and kde to a default look and feel.

rocket357

Security freak
Are you serious? I'm the FIRST ONE to vote for "OTHER"?

C'mon people, tell me you aren't stuck in KDE/Gnome land for good! Tell me there's hope!

I use Fluxbox. One word: SPEEEEEEEEED.

Interface lag enrages me to no end...(don't know why, it just does...so you KNOW I don't use WinXP unless I have to) so I choose a desktop that can keep up with me. (As opposed to using a desktop that makes life retardedly simple...sorry, but Gnome is so dumbed down that I just can't stand it). (KDE is too Windows-esque to be much use for me, either).

Just my opinion.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^^ Zikes :shock: Just installed fluxbox from synaptic.. I got nothing but a blue bar and its context menu .. just plain desktop with no icons... absolutely nothing :shock: I had to use Ctrl+Alt+bk space to logout :shock: .
EDIT:But I guess there is lot of configuration stuff.. but how can someone be given a desktop with no icon when its run for the first time??? How do you configure it?? I dont need eyecandy as my fun with compiz/beryl is going getover soon ....

Last edited:

rocket357

Security freak
charangk said:
^^^ Zikes :shock: Just installed fluxbox from synaptic.. I got nothing but a blue bar and its context menu .. just plain desktop with no icons... absolutely nothing :shock: I had to use Ctrl+Alt+bk space to logout :shock:
Sigh...no effort whatsoever.

Right click on the desktop =) Anywhere...just right click.

See how powerful a "desktop methodology" can be?

Edit - *www.gentoo.org/doc/en/fluxbox-config.xml It's gentoo specific, but with a bit of effort I'm sure you can convert it to (Ubuntu?)

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ I did that buddy. will give it another shot rite now ;) .

EDIT: Done .. Rechecked ... Nothing just a fluxbox contextmenu with a single entry.
I will check that link. So for now I will stop my discussion of fluxbox here so we can continue discussion on the poll. We can always start a new thread on fluxbox if needed ;)

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
fluxbox is what i use normally but I like afterstep too. Alas, it crashes a lot for me. Else, I'd be using that only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom