XPS M1530: a brief review

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

yaa, valid point spoken.. :)

Btw, i was surpirsed to knw that the 1730 weighs approx. 5 KGs (omg !!)

Even im waiting for 9600GT in 1530, but if they make a launch late, i may go in for 8600GT (coz as u said, it will be good for mid to high range gaming..) As i wanan play crysis, bioshock and other games on it ( in my free time).

OP
dOm1naTOr

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
I managed to play Crysis 1280*800 med~high AA,AF off, and looked good overall. It palys @1400*900 smoothly med but only some set to high.
Also it plays World In Conflict @ 1400*900 high[not very high] smoothly.
And the GPU[oc 625/1550] temps never rises above 80c even if the the proccy, chipset and GPU is cooled by a single small fan and a heatsink alone.

OP
dOm1naTOr

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Only slight yaar,
i got avg of 21 fps for WIC before oc and 25 fps with same setings after oc. But oc can give a nice boost in 3D Marks :)

aytus

The Boss
nice thanks for the info dominator...
and as per gamin.. if i had the money to buy 1730 i wud go for alienware // wud hav my relatives or sm1 import it for me from usa.. thr 15 incher rocks.. and evry1 can drool over cool neons..;p; lol

VD17

Journeyman
w00t! order placed for Dell XPS M1530 lappy...got a discount of about 3.5k

nice... and whats your config? and have they given any estimates as to when they will deliver?

Anyway, mine was released to manufacturing on the 16th.. earlier they said they'd deliver by 23rd june but now they have delayed it to the 8th of july.. it is slated to leave the manufacturing unit by 28th.. then i'll get to know whether they will deliver on 8th or even later...
apparently, the fire at LG Chem in Korea in March is screwing them hard... they told me that they have a backorder of 760 laptops... so that is bad...
hope ours get delivered soon...

and btw, i read at a few forums that they give compensations for delays... any ideas?

gopz

In the zone
Yeah they compensate for any considerable delay in delivery. I am not sure if your case is a 'considerable delay' though ;)

I know friends who got their laptops within 4-5 days, ordered just 3 weeks ago. I think this fire you are talking about was somewhere in March. There must be some other reason for the delay.

You might want to try talking to a supervisor and telling him that you will cancel the order or return the laptop if there is any further delay.

xbonez

NP : Crysis
nice... and whats your config? and have they given any estimates as to when they will deliver?

basic system with T8100 (2.1 ghz, 3mb cache) procy, and dell nylon back-pack and audigy sound

he said delivery under one week...but can expect faster in New Delhi

Last edited:

VD17

Journeyman
wtf... i'm in delhi as well...
do keep me posted if you get your laptop soon.. i'll ride these guys to hell

btw, the reasons why i came to the battery conclusions were:
(a) they told me so
(b) Dell's forum is filled with people with same complaints from US, UK, Ireland etc.. and they gave the same reason

the prob is with 6-cell batt's, as per the forum... anyone who ordered 9 cell?

OP
dOm1naTOr

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
For those having lappy with gcards, can try some oc with the modded drivers from:

*www.laptopvideo2go.com/

nice place to hang. One guy in there oced 8600M GT GPU from 476 to 756!!
really hard to believe
*www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=16952&st=20

Hi, guys just got 175.80 installed on it from laptopvideo2go and oced further and crossed 6k marks in 3DM 06 @ 1024*768

*img401.imageshack.us/img401/3741/3dm0664077017580je7.th.jpg
*img364.imageshack.us/img364/5571/3dm06440ocuf4.th.jpg
clocks
640/1540
shader 1252
new 3DM 06 score : 6203 0n 1024*768
5056 on 1440*900

temps didnt get higher than 75c!!!! i think even a desktop 8600GT will get higher.
I think I shud add these to first post.

Last edited:

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
my buying again postponed... oh god.. i don't know how much extra i am gona pay....

recently i saw again a price hike in their xps series....

aytus

The Boss
real sweet clocks dude.. :laugh: i can c the oc potential of these chips.. and im drooling over 9600 now. ur clocks are raisin my expectations from 9600gt .. i bet they,ll break 8k oced.. my purchase is also delayed due to this 9600 gt .. i think theyll introduce the same next month.on around 20-21 .. nt sure tho. btw dell launched a new studio series... check www.dell.com/studio i think in competion of thr own inspirons,.with full hd screens. for blod* americans ofcourse. and i got bsnl broadband.. h500c plan.. ny1 else got one?

OP
dOm1naTOr

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
can laptop proccy be oced thru s/w?
i know to do it on AMD proccys only. never done oc on Intel via windows.
Also its bios has no options to tweak any kinda clocks, so only hope is to do it via s/w.
Any specific s/w for that?
It has Intel 965Express chipset and proccy temps are quiet low, to take some oc.

VD17

Journeyman
Got my XPS today.
Thoroughly disappointed. period.

For an audiophile like me, the sound quality is a nightmare! As it was pointed out before, it sounds overpowered. The bass and the treble distorts pathetically when the volume is increased, especially with the EP 630's. When i connected it to my Creative 4.1 speakers, it was embarassing. My only saving grace is my Phillips SHP 850 headphones which need quite a lot of power to drive them and hence deliver quite a good output when connected to the laptop. But that too isn't as good as i'd have wanted.. a friend of mine got an hp dv6767 and the SHP 850's work in full volume with full bass spectacularly.

My bluetooth headphones won't work. I have connected them and windows even detects them but the sound just would not deliver from the headphone. And the XPS tech support didn't answer my call. I'll rain down on these idiots as soon as they pick up.

Media files stutter when unloading discs - PATHETIC!

weird battery indicator. havent checked how much backup i'm getting, though.

Anyway, I love my laptop the best when the lid is closed. It's looks are the most prominent thing to be proud of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom