XP taking eternity to boot!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkey

Padawan
Hey guys I have Windows XP Prof. and have all the patches installed. I have been using this system for many months now.

Few days back I noticed that my Windows started taking upto 25 minutes to boot!! During this time the HDD LED shows continous work load. I had not installed any major software which could have caused it. I checked for viruses/spyware using AVG Free, Zone Alarm Internet Security, Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware. All these softwares gave negative report. I checked for HDD error but it was found to be OK. I also used System Mechanic 7 and CCleaner to scan my computer for errors but found nothing to be wrong. I had installed Office 2003 SP3 few days back which I removed but even then the problem remains. What should I do?

I have dual boot system with OpenSuse installed alongside Windows but Linux is working fine (which means no hardware problem).

Please Help!!

Below are list of programs which starts during boot-up:

*img301.imageshack.us/img301/9084/startni1.th.jpg

Pathik

Google Bot
The golden rule in windows: When in doubt, Format!! :D
btw Imo u shd remove almost all of ur startup entries except the very crucial ones.. With a antivirus, a firewall, a spyware scanner on startup what else do u expect?? But still 25mins is toooo much.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
:cool: hmmm... u have messed up ur entire system with lots of softwares.....
& linux is working fine ryt! dats means its a software loading problem
anyway use this steps:

1.either install any one antivirus/antispyware software....coz u've installed many (AVG Free, Zone Alarm Internet Security, Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware)
two antivirus would definitely slowdown ur system(due 2 conflicts between two)
n.b: I'll suggest two options:

a.install AVG & Spybot S&D/Ad-Aware :)
b.Avast!/Zone Alarm(it has its own firewall & antispy tool) &
Spybot/Ad-Aware
2.Remove progs from startup which r not necessary(such as gtalk,nero
apps,sony ericsson etc) believe me u can start them when u want....it
will not harm ur system.so y 2 put them @ startup....:D

System Mechanic itself has its own antivirus tool so another +1 antivirus
CCleaner is enough 4 boosting ur system :eek:

Give priority 2 antivirus,antispyware & hardware progs(motherboard,graphics etc) only @ startup....:neutral: all other r just
clogging ur system....@ startup

i suspect wat r these....YPOPS.exe Nvcpl.dll ,nwiz.exe :confused:

conclusion: I think u had an impression dat installing more than 1 antivirus
& antispyware will give u more protection definitely a Big NO

OP
M

monkey

Padawan
Well I have been using these programs for very long (about 2 years now) and never faced any problem. AVG Free generally works with any paid AV without any problem. I have basic Sysmtem Mechanic without AV so it can't cause problem. I had removed AVG before thinking it to be culprit but it had no effect and so I installed it back. Other programs are generally the one I use regularly (GTalk, YPOPs, Nero...). Like I have said earlier "why the problem occured now when I have been using these programs for 2 years now?"

@Pathik: I can't format Windows as I have genuine copy of Ad-Aware which will need new license everytime Windows is installed fresh. I have already acquired license twice in the past 2 months from Ad-Aware guys (once when I upgraded my hard disk and once when Windows had developed some problem). If I ask for license again then Ad-Aware guys will shoot me ;)

Last edited:

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
first step:
start -->> run -->> type msconfig -->>ok

uncheck all programs from startup list..and restart. Post back the result.

OP
M

monkey

Padawan
@ravi_9793: I tried what you said but I think it was not of much use. The computer took 5-6 min. to boot. It used to take lesser time with all services and startup items enabled. Also I forgot to mention that even simple program like Firefox is taking 30-40 seconds to open which earlier took 2-3 sec.

What should I do next?

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
Have you made some changes in windows...like
1) Any third party software to decorate windows XP.
2) StartUp sounds.

If yes, than:
1) change to default windows XP theme
2) start -->> control panel -->> sound and audio devices -->> sounds -->> sound scheme -->> No sound.

Also post back system performance in safe mode.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think AVG and Zone Alarm Internet Security are clashing with each other.

Zone Alarm IS also has an AntiVirus, so why you need AVG???

Uninstall anyone of them and then tell. Also Internet Security Suites from the most companies are resource hungry. The best IS is Kaspersky Internet Security. Better get it. Moreover, once I had installed ZoneAlarm Pro (AntiSpyware + Firewall) and it had made my computer crawl.

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
i suspect wat r these....YPOPS.exe Nvcpl.dll ,nwiz.exe :confused:
The process YPOPS.exe is a free POP3/SMTP access to Yahoo Mail and belongs to the software YPOPs! by sourceforge.net!
The program starts during the windows startup. U can delete it from Add/Remove Programs in Cpanel or directly using Registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders. The application listens for or sends data on open ports to LAN or Internet. Potential risk could reach upto 40% !
nwiz.exe is a part of NVidia's Nview features installable alongside it's graphics hardware products. Typically, nwiz.exe or nwiz process info for NVIDIA nView Wizard. Non Essential process! Disable it!
nvcpl.dll is a library file for NVIDIA display adapter! Enabling this during startup is necessary to load the color changes u have made to ur desktop!

@topic,
Format is always a good option in Windows! :p
Though, try loading in safe format and then disable everything during startup including unnecessary services! Then try again.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@ravi_9793: I tried what you said but I think it was not of much use. The computer took 5-6 min. to boot. It used to take lesser time with all services and startup items enabled. Also I forgot to mention that even simple program like Firefox is taking 30-40 seconds to open which earlier took 2-3 sec.

What should I do next?

:rolleyes: not getting proper results....

then follow this (u'll know whats slowing ur system..I'll assume u have scanned ur entire HDD 4 viruses/sywares)
1.Uninstall all thirdparty softwares except ad-aware
2.then reboot ....(chec the time now...it takes 2 restart)
3.install firefox (same as abv)
4.Now Defragment ur entire HDD using a good third party tool(O&O Defrag)
5.again reboot....
6.if the problem persists...call ur vendor

OP
M

monkey

Padawan
Well I have uninstalled every third party software (including firefox) except ZoneAlarm and Ad-Aware. While the boot-up time has come down considerably simple programs like IE7 still takes about 20 sec to load. What else to do? :(

serendipiti

Journeyman
After disabling unnecessary startup programs,delete your prefetch files and then using microsoft bootvis optimize your system.After that delete all unnecessary files using a free program like cclenaer or ncleaner.defrag your HDD using agood third party defragmenter(Perfect Disk 9 is great!) and clean your registry using a good registry cleaner(Eusing Free registry cleaner or Wise registry cleaner:both free and safe).If necessary do a registry defrag as well.You cud also use a program called startup faster...it really speeds up booting.

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
i guess you might have done this already but just to be safe analyze your hard drive if it needs defragmentation. And dude, you needn't have unintstalled all those softwares, just removed those from the startup list.
Also, you just need one antivirus and one adprotector.
Get rid of these from your startup
nerofiltercheck
SMSystemanalyzer
SonyEricsonPCSuite
APC UPS Status
Both the HP Stuff
OpenOffice quickstarter.

These are not needed at startup, start them when you need them.
Also, the HDD light seems to say you have a problem with your hard drive. Check your drive for errors. Your linux partition may be ok, but your windows partition seems to have some problems maybe.
And whats with the Ad-aware license? Do you need to get a new license every time you install?

OP
M

monkey

Padawan
Well I disabled most of the items from the startup menu but it didn't help much. I checked HDD for errors using Western Digital tool but again no solution. So I ended up using Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools which made some changes to registry. After this there was gud improvement in the start-up time. I re-installed everything back (with items being added to the start-up menu) and the performance is much better now. I will use the system for a day or two before confirming if the problem has been solved.

@ilugd: If you have genuine full license of Ad-Aware then you will have to get new Key everytime the software is installed after formatting. The license is based on Hardware-Print of your computer and this Print changes everytime the Windows is reinstalled.

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
@monkey

Don't Ad-aware guys have easy step for Transferring License??

Like they can disable that key for some time so that you can format your system and then you can register it again with that key........

Try to ask this thing from them.......

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Well I disabled most of the items from the startup menu but it didn't help much. I checked HDD for errors using Western Digital tool but again no solution. So I ended up using Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools which made some changes to registry. After this there was gud improvement in the start-up time. I re-installed everything back (with items being added to the start-up menu) and the performance is much better now. I will use the system for a day or two before confirming if the problem has been solved.

@ilugd: If you have genuine full license of Ad-Aware then you will have to get new Key everytime the software is installed after formatting. The license is based on Hardware-Print of your computer and this Print changes everytime the Windows is reinstalled.
Hardware print doesn't change on every install of any OS. :p

Eg. my LAN Card's MAC Address. Its not going to change forever (unless the chip inside it is changed). :p

Its foolish to say this.

Ya, try Bootvis. There is an Optimize System option in it, use that. On next reboot wait for it to show report. Also did you checked that your hdd is on DMA or not? sometimes it happens that PIO mode gets selected due to some reason. Double check that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom