Would you rather...

yearcut

Broken In
Would you rather buy MMX A116 Canvas HD for 14,500/- or Samsung Galaxy S III for Rs. 19,500/-?

My budget is around 15k. At first I wanted to buy MMX Canvas HD A116. But then, a friend of mine said he can arrange me a S3 for Rs. 19,500/- new, sealed pack and with bill. I asked how and he said said his friend brought it from outside India.

The only condition he is implying that I'll have to bring money to his friend and get the S3 at once. Meaning I cannot see the S3 then go back home, bring my money and buy it then.

What do you think?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
S3 for 19.5k is very fishy.. I think it is one of the seller warranty phones which do not have official warranty in india..
A116 is tempting, but still stay out of it..
Id suggest you take the blue pill and wait for Xperia L
Or if you cant wait, then get L9
Lumia 620 is another good option (provided you are okay with Windows Phone 8 limitations)
5 lines, 5 suggestions, your choice :D

OP
Y

yearcut

Broken In
S3 for 19.5k is very fishy.. I think it is one of the seller warranty phones which do not have official warranty in india..
A116 is tempting, but still stay out of it..
Id suggest you take the blue pill and wait for Xperia L
Or if you cant wait, then get L9
Lumia 620 is another good option (provided you are okay with Windows Phone 8 limitations)
5 lines, 5 suggestions, your choice :D

No... Android only please ;) ..
As MMX Canvas HD is out of stock, I'll have to wait till about 1st or 2nd week of April either way. Is it worth trading off warranty for saving almost 50% of the MRP?

Several articles state S3 as the world's best phone, so it is very tempting. (Also because just the fact that it is "S3" you know "raising status" )

How about buying it from Gaffar Market?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Is it worth trading off warranty for saving almost 50% of the MRP?
No man, Dont do this mistake..
Even official service centers wont repair seller warranty phones even if u pay them to..
Its certainly not worth trading off the warranty..
If possible I would have suggested you warranty extension :)

OP
Y

yearcut

Broken In
No man, Dont do this mistake..
Even official service centers wont repair seller warranty phones even if u pay them to..
Its certainly not worth trading off the warranty..
If possible I would have suggested you warranty extension :)

If we use these phones with excellent care, why would it get defected? Furthermore, even if it gets defected, can't we get it fixed at local shops... at most it will cost about rs. 3000/- making the 19,500 -> 22500/- Even 22500 seems a super buy for S3.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Indeed it is, but there is no guarentee that local shops will be able to repair a S3..
and even if they do, it is possible that they might charge more..
Like I said, it is your choice though..
I sure as hell am never gonna buy a Seller warranty phone ever again (Neo V)
EDIT: If you are going for S3, id suggest you atleast check the box if it's company sealed or not

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
@OP
If you feel like buying S3, go ahead. But be aware that there is no guarantee that local phones will repair your phone. I tried to replace display of my SE X10 Mini in local shop. He charged me 5k and replaced screen with some cheap display. Now it looks like some MMX display and it lost it's BRAVIA touch. Just another case.

OP
Y

yearcut

Broken In
@Nerevarine how do I know if it's company sealed or not? I heard some people smuggle phones and re-pack it, is it true?

@furious_gamer does a expensive phone really ever get defected in the first year? I think most phones start getting defected after it gets old (like 2-3 years).

I'm curious if a genuine second hand S3 with warranty is better than sealed pack S3 without warranty..?

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
You can buy used from E/TE and nope, you cannot predict when it will get defected. For some, it will never happen, for rest, it will happen very soon. So better safe than sorry, especially the amount at stake is huge.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
@Nerevarine how do I know if it's company sealed or not? I heard some people smuggle phones and re-pack it, is it true?
Not sure, maybe original samsung seal ? I have never owned a samsung smartphone.. so i cant say
Yes, they ARE illegaly smuggled.. thats why they are called seller warranty phones..cuz there's no way for them to provide manufacturer's warranty with a smuggled product

If you have a choice between Used and Seller warranty, id pick the seller warranty though.. as long as its sealed

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent

@furious_gamer does a expensive phone really ever get defected in the first year? I think most phones start getting defected after it gets old (like 2-3 years).

I'm curious if a genuine second hand S3 with warranty is better than sealed pack S3 without warranty..?

My 2 cents,

I know you are thinking about the savings on an S3 bought at 20K. But I am asking you to think about the money (the 20K) that you are putting at stake without any idea on whether the mobile that you are recieving works or not or even if it is genuine.
On a worst case scenario if the mobile doesnt work -

1) You dont have the warranty
2) Samsung doesnt accept to repair it
3) Finding a local shop with reasonable pricing to repair it is a task
4) You will most probably end up replacing something with a non-original part (samsung made) from the local shop

Above all,
5) The pain and the discomfort that will hunt you down on taking a wrong decision to save some bucks.
6) The mobile will lose your "enthu" that you otherwise might have carried on exploring it as a brand new awesome device.

Think before you invest. the money you are saving is not worth the money you are putting at risk when the odds are bad.

On a side note, the screen replacement alone on galaxy variants will set you back my 7.5K (ofcourse original). So if something goes wrong, be prepared to spend the hell out of your pockets (without warranty)

OP
Y

yearcut

Broken In
Guys,
seller warranty>Micromax warranty
/jk:D

I was going to say the exact same thing lol... So to conlude,

1. If I want to buy S III, I should buy it with manufacturer's warrenty only.
2. That means I'll have to wait, and save more money (or ask dad)
3. Or I should settle for medium config phones.

I just finished my boards, so dad is buying me a phone, he agreed to spend 15k, but I feel bad if I'll ask him to shell out 32K for original with warranty S3.. :(

However, what's wrong with Canvas HD as you guys are not recommending it provided SOOO many good reviews on YouTube and newspapers?

acervenky

Broken In
I was going to say the exact same thing lol... So to conlude,

1. If I want to buy S III, I should buy it with manufacturer's warrenty only.
2. That means I'll have to wait, and save more money (or ask dad)
3. Or I should settle for medium config phones.

I just finished my boards, so dad is buying me a phone, he agreed to spend 15k, but I feel bad if I'll ask him to shell out 32K for original with warranty S3.. :(

However, what's wrong with Canvas HD as you guys are not recommending it provided SOOO many good reviews on YouTube and newspapers?

Micromax Is A Emerging Company,It Has A Lot More To Learn And Moreover The Company Has Announced That It Will Launch New Canvas After Every Two Months.(Don't Know Whether They Will Launch New Canvas In April Or May lol)
In My Opinion You Have Two Options :
Buy L9 OR Wait For Xperia L

Top Bottom