Would you adhere to the new smoking ban in public places?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
afonofa said:
Unfortunately most of the smokers that I've come across don't think the way you do. It would be much better if they were as considerate as you. But till that happens, I support this ban on smoking in public places.

I don't think banning cigarettes will help. It would only make that industry go underground which will create more problems.
So, Smoking a necessary evil? Eh? :lol:

rohan_shenoy said:
But if his smoking exposes me to chemicals that can harm me, I don't see any reason to be obliged to him to inhale his smoke.

Not offending but one does oneself as good by not getting a habit of fried potatoes+fried rice. :p BTW, you a doctor? Oh! I am in the first year. :)

esumitkumar said:
Most of the doctors ,engineers,CEO/CFO all top notch working class ppl who work for 8-12 hrs five or six days a week are smokers/drinkers...They are like that ...They have so much stress in life ... so when they get a weekend... they like to spend it totally tension free..but their mind doesnt rest..so just to slow it down ...they occasionally drink/smoke

When all the kids/students in this forum start working in some IT/Medical line etc then they will realise this fact !

but eveything in limit is good..anything u take in excess and become addicted is bad ....
About professionals who smoke, nice one. :)

8 Months ago; I thought I'd never smoke. But now I enjoy it. Aint exactly eddicted but will be so in near future. Damn care. I already said that I have not seen/heard anyone live too short because of heavy smoking. 65 is enough for me. (I dont intend to be a chain smoker though) :p

And to correct you; smoking within limits is what everyone thinks of and does; Its just that we keep redefining the limits. :p

karnivore said:
As for me. I am somewhere between a smoker and non-smoker. I generally don't smoke, certainly not addicted. But when stress and tension breath down my neck, cigarettes do tend to calm my nerves. Call it an excuse, if u will, but thats the way it is for me.

Also, this "hatred" for smokers is really a little juvenile. Delhi, Mumbai and some other indian metropolitan cities are among the most polluted cities in the world. I wonder, how much of it is contributed by the smokers.
My smoking routine resembles yours.

And after reading the posts in this thread; I was getting ashamed of myself. Thinking, was I the one to blame, the worst of my kind?

Anyways, your post gave my thoughts a new direction.
I know theres no reason to be ashamed. Even I dont like the smell, and many of my friends feel the same. :p

esumitkumar said:
see here what we all predicted come true :ROFL :lol:
LOLzzz :lol:

karnivore

in your face..
Anyways, your post gave my thoughts a new direction.
Hey...smoking is still a bad habit.

Here's a trick that I employ to keep my smoking, that is whenever I have these odd smoking bouts, under control. I do not carry any cigarette with me. That way whenever I have to smoke, I have to go and buy it. And that is not always possible because of heavy work schedule. Smoking gets automatically checked.

Had I carried cigarette packets with me, I would have become addicted to it, long time ago.

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
And to correct you; smoking within limits is what everyone thinks of and does; Its just that we keep redefining the limits
very true..but im not a smoker ...i had tried but cudnt get it..good for me..i just drink beer occasionally ;)

my philosphy : try everything practically before saying its bad or good ..

Last edited:

apoorva84

In the zone
@IronManForever , rohan is not a doctor. check his profile here

and you started smoking in first year itself...most docs smoke, by the way...

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
But it will help to decrease some death
death is not grave but its the transition and suffering which is painful.

Better to die in one shot than suffering everyday from cancer or other ailment. After all its your body and its you to take care of it :)

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
karnivore said:
Hey...smoking is still a bad habit.

Here's a trick that I employ to keep my smoking, that is whenever I have these odd smoking bouts, under control. I do not carry any cigarette with me. That way whenever I have to smoke, I have to go and buy it. And that is not always possible because of heavy work schedule. Smoking gets automatically checked.

Had I carried cigarette packets with me, I would have become addicted to it, long time ago.
Something even I do. But I buy one cigarette in advance so that I have a reserve if all hell breaks loose upon me. :lol:

Yeah yeah, smoking is bad. Especially as girls hate it. :(

esumitkumar said:
very true..but im not a smoker ...i had tried but cudnt get it..good for me..i just drink beer occasionally

my philosphy : try everything practically before saying its bad or good ..
Good for you. Don't smoke is what I tell everybody.
But yeah, assumptions (about amoking/smokers) can only do so much.. one has to know what what is talking about; and thats what you said.
But that doesnt mean that you have to smoke. Just dont care about others unless its disturbing you. :)

apoorva84 said:
and you started smoking in first year itself...most docs smoke, by the way...
:( girlfriend....... (i'm so nave..) :(

Last edited:

afonofa

Journeyman
If your underlying logic is "health concern due to passive smoke", then it should apply uniformly to all and sundry, that are directly responsible or are passively contributing, to pollution. You can't single out smokers for that.
Agreed.

Though I'd like to point out that you don't get the exhaust fumes from vehicles right in your face. By the time vehicular exhaust gets to you, its diluted much more than smoke from a cigarette as smokers are almost always close enough and for a long enough duration. This compared to vehicles which are usually moving, is probably why people are more concerned about the ill effects of passive smoking on their health, rather than the exhaust from vehicles.

Don't know if there's a study on it, but I think passive smoking will be more hazardous to health than vehicular pollution but vehicular pollution at traffic signals will probably be more harmful than passive smoking. So a much more appropriate equivalent, to this ban on smoking in public places, would be a ban on keeping the engine idling at traffic signals.

Besides there are all these pollution control checks for vehicles, something had to be done for smokers too. :p

Of course this is from a metropolitan point of view. In the smaller towns I doubt whether anyone would be interested in adhering to this ban much less enforce it. As for villages, they will probably hear about this ban only in the next elections when the opposition drums up the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom