Would you adhere to the new smoking ban in public places?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
K

krinish

Journeyman
So many non smokers, good to see that. Smokers know they are digging their own grave. As it is city living is really bad with pollution and a city like bangalore where I come from, its worse with the fine red dust and new bulidings coming up everyday.

I honestly feel that addicted smokers wake up every morning thinkining that they will quit today, but unfortunately their will power is not soo strong and give in to the temptation easily. Hats off to people who once were addicted and given up now.
Im going to be a part of this ban and help the Govt to follow this rule, ill do my best.

Im not a smoker. Hate smoking, but dont hate smokers. I get angry when smokers compramise a non smoker's heath.

amizdu

Broken In
@afonofa & krinish

I hate terrorists, smokers, drinkers, and all those who kill or cause irreparable damage to other people, without reason.

I don't have to explain you why it's not a crime to hate terrorists.

Smokers: I mean those who smoke in public (A MAJORITY) and make the innocent people, who just by no fault of theirs suffer. I feel suffocated and feel like punching the &*(#*(@&(, though it's not possible.

Drinkers are irritating, dangerous and a nuisance, they commit crimes (A MAJORITY) and put the blame on the effect of alcohol.

Anyway, again A MAJORITY in this forum support my view, so I'm happy that this country still has lots of right-minded people.

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
I support that ban too because passive smoking is very injurious to health ..but most of my frnds are suterias (means smokers ) so I inhale it also :( ..but I avoid mostly ...

But my q is that in our country it will not be effective ..hamare desh main there are lots of laws..but nobody follows them and everything is governed by bribe and babudom..This law... now becomes a new tool for police to fill their own pockets :x

As regd hating smokers n drinkers ..I dont hate them..Why should I ..A person has its own personal space and if he has habits that arent affecting others why one should bother ??

and lemme tell u a neat and 100% true fact :

Most of the doctors ,engineers,CEO/CFO all top notch working class ppl who work for 8-12 hrs five or six days a week are smokers/drinkers...They are like that ...They have so much stress in life ... so when they get a weekend... they like to spend it totally tension free..but their mind doesnt rest..so just to slow it down ...they occasionally drink/smoke

When all the kids/students in this forum start working in some IT/Medical line etc then they will realise this fact !

but eveything in limit is good..anything u take in excess and become addicted is bad ....

karnivore

in your face..
esumitkumar said:
When all the kids/students in this forum start working in some IT/Medical line etc then they will realise this fact !
Bang on target. Nevertheless, it is appreciable that most of the forum members are conscious of the ill effects.

As for me. I am somewhere between a smoker and non-smoker. I generally don't smoke, certainly not addicted. But when stress and tension breath down my neck, cigarettes do tend to calm my nerves. Call it an excuse, if u will, but thats the way it is for me.

Also, this "hatred" for smokers is really a little juvenile. Delhi, Mumbai and some other indian metropolitan cities are among the most polluted cities in the world. I wonder, how much of it is contributed by the smokers.

If passive smoking is the reason for all the ire, then may be one should venture out one's house wearing, a gas mask. Emissions from cars, due to half burned fuels, cause more damage to u, than passive smoking.

This is one more law, that will bite the dust in no time...and fill the pockets of our friendly, neighbourhood policemen.

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
Making a law is one thing, enforcing it and making people obey it, is quite another. I support this step, but I'm afraid it will only lead to harassment of the general public by the police. They've given the cops another way to make a quick buck. Those who want to smoke, will smoke when no policeman is around and throw it away as soon as they see one. This will never work.

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Most of the doctors ,engineers,CEO/CFO all top notch working class ppl who work for 8-12 hrs five or six days a week are smokers/drinkers...They are like that ...They have so much stress in life ... so when they get a weekend... they like to spend it totally tension free..but their mind doesnt rest..so just to slow it down ...they occasionally drink/smoke
Thats the price they pay for a high-paying job.
Surgeons have so much tension that almost all surgeons need alcohol if they are not mentally strong.

Now, let us not complain about it. Didn't we want to make India like America? So lets be ready to cough up the price for it.

nmenon

Broken In
Smoking does no good to anyone, I'm against smoking and welcome the law on principle.
Still its more of an avenue for extortion of money from violators, it will not be enforced
with the required vigour.

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Smoking does no good to anyone, I'm against smoking and welcome the law on principle.
Still its more of an avenue for extortion of money from violators, it will not be enforced
with the required vigour.
Just to keep clear of confusions, I was not justifying anybody's addictions. I agree I should have been more specific and non-ambiguous in my reply.

afonofa

Journeyman
If passive smoking is the reason for all the ire, then may be one should venture out one's house wearing, a gas mask. Emissions from cars, due to half burned fuels, cause more damage to u, than passive smoking.
In a country like India, most of the people have grown up with and are used to breathing polluted air, people probably won't even know what fresh air is like :p. Pollution from vehicles is not something that we can avoid. We have to live with it till there's better technology. But passive smoking is something that can be avoided if smokers were more considerate towards non-smokers but since the majority are not, to that extent this law will provide some relief. Wearing gas masks is not practical but not lighting up while you are waiting for the bus or for your turn at the ticket counter etc. is very much doable.
Now, let us not complain about it. Didn't we want to make India like America?
America is so passé, we are trying to emulate China now! :D

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
Naah we are just working for America :/

Where will one can get cheap labor ?

Thats right T .. but one Korrection..cheap and quality labor..Its the era of globalisation..When some other country offers gud quality and cheap prices: all offshore jobs will go from India to there :twisted: but really its only due to IT..India's name has come so prominently on world map for last 4-5 yrs...abhi bhi yahan US main kaafi log hai who still dont know anything abt India ...

We are living in Amerika ..Amerika its wunderbar
(We're living in America America is wonderful)

Wenn getanzt wird will ich führen
auch wenn ihr euch alleine dreht
(When there's dancing I want to lead
even if you're whirling around alone)

Musik kommt aus dem Weißen Haus
und vor Paris steht Micky Maus

(Music is coming out of the White House
and Mickey Mouse is standing in front of Paris)

A very famous song of Rammy...but really Amerika is wonderful..my exp says ..thats y its such a developed and gr8 nation :-D

karnivore

in your face..
afonofa said:
In a country like India, most of the people have grown up with and are used to breathing polluted air, people probably won't even know what fresh air is like. Pollution from vehicles is not something that we can avoid. We have to live with it till there's better technology. But passive smoking is something that can be avoided if smokers were more considerate towards non-smokers but since the majority are not, to that extent this law will provide some relief. Wearing gas masks is not practical but not lighting up while you are waiting for the bus or for your turn at the ticket counter etc. is very much doable.
Agreed, that smokers need to be more considerate. But that's beside the point that I am trying to make.

Members here seem to conclude, that since passive smoking causes damage, smokers are despicable. What I am trying to say is that, one may not like a smoker for several hundred reasons (e.g. u make not like the smell of the smoke, it may cause nasal irritation to u etc - it does to me, BTW), but passive-smoking-cause-damage-to-me is a bad argument in a country like India, where pollution, as you have rightly said, is something we practically grow up with.

If your underlying logic is "health concern due to passive smoke", then it should apply uniformly to all and sundry, that are directly responsible or are passively contributing, to pollution. You can't single out smokers for that.

I am merely pointing to the fallacy. :p

Ghutka causes more damage than cigarettes. I would love to see a ban on ghutka as well. Not just consumption, but ban on manufacture itself.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
but Government earns more from Manikchand :D

How can one close the thing from which the dough comes ?

Sp instead they took the easy way :) But thats too will nobody care :/

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
see here what we all predicted come true :ROFL :lol:

*img296.imageshack.us/img296/6214/11vs6.th.jpg*img296.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom