World Movies Thread

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
I am starting this thread for movie lovers who are tired of bollywood and hollywood same rehashed plots/soundtrack/actors and are finding great storytelling in Korean/Argentinian/French/Spanish etc movies.

1) The secret in their eyes(Argentina) - This has become my favorite movie of all time. I was numb for an hour or so after watching the final scene. Only after having completed the movie did i come to know that it fetched Oscar for best foreign movie

2) The classic ( Korean)- This is a breath of fresh air in romantic movies. There is minimal dialogue. The scenery/soundtrack and the powerfully emoted scenes will leave an indelible impression upon your heart

3) Love Crime ( French) - Excellent thriller movie. Keeps you guessing till the end.

Please share you favorite "world" movies

fuser

Right off the assembly line
Soviet Cinema is/was the best.

Science Fiction :

1. Stalker
2. Solaris (not the George clooney one)

WW2

3. The Ascent
4. Liberation
5. The dawns here are quiet
6. Come and See

Drama

7. The cranes here are flying.
8. The mirror.

Historical

9. Andrei Rubilav
10 Dr. Zhivago

Comedy :

11. Kin Dza Dza
12. Ivan Vasilevich Back to the future

Western :

13. White Sun on the Desert

Silent era Gem

14. Battleship Potemkin
15. Oktober

Yeah, I can go on and on. But this is it, Soviet Cinema ftw.

Among current crop of filmmakers, I will say Micheal Hanake is probably the best.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Just like the difference between Bollywood and Hollywood, there is a lot of difference between Hollywood and Korean/French movies.
So, if people don't stop posting all kind of one time watch movies in "Must Watch Movies" thread, I think a separate thread for just World Movies is acceptable.

And a few movies that I loved:
3-Iron (Bin-jip) (2004)
Spring Summer Fall Winter and Spring (2003)
Peppermint Candy

And another movie which I can't quite remember, was Korean, and which was a good cute romantic movie, which had me in laughs during the entire film.

Last edited:
OP
srkmish

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
Finished watching Tzameti(French). Damn good thriller. Wasn't bored a single moment

I like how these people focus on the characters and the pace of the story with minimal dialogue and sound effects as opposed to loud orchestral music( as is common in hollywood and bollywood movies).

Another movie i forgot to mention - Sleep tight(Spain). If you like creepy dudes( seemingly normal) with bizarre obsessions (Similar to dexter), you'll love this one.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Very slowly 'Must watch' thread would break down into these fragments.

We already have 'must not'
then, horror and now world movies.

To Decentralize or not, that is the question.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Well, Must Watch thread, is actually, "Movies that you have watched" thread. (No offense to the members posting in it. :p)
And, World movies is a broad category apart from Hollywood. So I guess this is a deserving segregation.

I would go as far as creating a sub forum named something like "Movies and Series discussion", since there are many threads on movie discussions now. And many more threads can be created if there is a separate section. For eg, "Star Wars thread"! :D

OP
srkmish

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
Well, Must Watch thread, is actually, "Movies that you have watched" thread. (No offense to the members posting in it. :p)
And, World movies is a broad category apart from Hollywood. So I guess this is a deserving segregation.

I would go as far as creating a sub forum named something like "Movies and Series discussion", since there are many threads on movie discussions now. And many more threads can be created if there is a separate section. For eg, "Star Wars thread"! :D

+1. There are geeks of many kind in this world :p and we deserve separate threads/subthreads to obsess over our guilty pleasures :D

Gollum

Collector
wonder why no one mentioned OLDBOY [korean]

apart from those that have been mentioned

spring summer fall winter and spring
iris
tokyo marble chocolate
a company man

All studio ghibli movies

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
A few movies I watched recently. Storylines are from imdb.

Amour (2012) - IMDb

Georges and Anne are a couple of retired music teachers enjoying life in their eighties. However, Anne suddenly has a stroke at breakfast and their lives are never the same. A very good French movie.

A Moment to Remember (2004)

A Korean love story about a young couple's enduring love, which is tested when 27 year old Sun-jin is diagnosed with a rare form of Alzheimer's disease. This movie just like other Korean romances is melodramatic.

Pan's Labyrinth (2006)

A dark fantasy movie. Not a kids movie. In 1944 fascist Spain, a girl, fascinated with fairy-tales, is sent along with her pregnant mother to live with her new stepfather, a ruthless captain of the Spanish army. During the night, she meets a fairy who takes her to an old faun in the center of the labyrinth.

The Road Home (1999)

This is a very simple romance movie. A man returns to his home for the funeral of his father. His mother insists on a traditional funeral. He remembers how his mother and father met.

Let the Right One In (2008)

Oskar, an overlooked and bullied boy, finds love and revenge through Eli, a beautiful but peculiar girl who turns out to be a vampire. There is a much stylized Hollywood remake 'Let Me In', but I loved this one better.

The Hunt (2012)

A teacher lives a lonely life, all the while struggling over his son's custody. His life slowly gets better as he finds love and receives good news from his son, but his new luck is about to be brutally shattered by an innocent little lie.

Love Me If You Dare (2003)

Julien and Sophie continues the dare game they started when they were kids. What will happen when they start a new dare 'love me if you dare'? A very good French romance movie.

Mother (2009)

A mother desperately searches for the killer that framed her son for a girl's horrific murder.

Top Bottom