Windows 8.... What do you think ?

Upgrading to Windows 8 ?

• Yes, For Sure !

Votes: 39 33.3%
  • No, Never Win 7 Is Still Best !

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • Maybe, I'll Give Final Decision on Oct 26 !

Votes: 44 37.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

msn

खिड़की माने Windows
Downloaded the Windows RTM. Really Fast IE 10 with faster boot and shut down. Still in test phase. Will post more.

dan4u

Took Off!!!
Windows 8 upgrade registration has started <link>, and there are only 4 versions of W8, all the features of W7 Professional and Ultimate, will be available on W8 PRO, Awesome:-D

batman

Broken In
Currently running Windows Vista on my laptop...Thinking of upgrading to windows 8 with the 39$ offer once it is out...I think it is worth it..what do you think guys?

dan4u

Took Off!!!
@ androidforlife, FYI windows 8 is not meant for touch devices alone, and it also gets rid of the different versions w7 has(though there are 4 w8 versions), W8 pro will be standard among most users, W8 pro also has all the features from w7 ultimate ....

@batman yea it will be a worthwhile upgrade, & its just $39......the retail version will be way above $100

ssdivisiongermany1933

Still in war with allies
Microsoft Nukes 30-Day Grace Period with Windows 8
Microsoft Nukes 30-Day Grace Period with Windows 8

No more 30 days ride which was available in windows 7

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Downloaded the 90 days trial

Things I like :)
- Super fast boot time <10s
- Metro (modern) UI is fresh and nice. But more 3rd party apps are needed
- Microsoft account remembers everything from your previous installation. So once you sign in using an online account, all email accounts, xbox acc, flickr, facebook etc are synced. Although it does not install the apps on its own, previously downloaded apps are there in My Apps section of store and their login info in synced after download. Much easier to do a fresh install
- Search is nice. On the Metro screen, just start typing and search will automatically open. Same for store. For other apps there is search.
- Share option in photos app is nice and you can share directly to twitter, SkyDrive or mail. Share function is somewhat similar to android and new apps will extend this functionality. Suppose you are reading a novel using reader app and come across (I made a typo and IE10 autocorrected... sweet) a nice quote that you will like to share on Social networks. Instead of going to browser and opening twitter/Facebook, you can simple move the mouse to bottom right corner that will bring the charms bar. Hit Share and its done. Without even opening another application, minimizing etc.
-Dual pane is nice. I can keep an eye on twitter while writing this post or doing Photoshop. Applicable for all metro apps
- Lastly the wallpapers are nice too

Things I don't like

- Still miss the Start button
- Photos app is too basic
- Same for videos app. No option to change even the aspect ratio. Common Microsoft its 2012
- Some stupid bugs, like uninstalling an application (non metro) from metro screen will not really uninstall but rather open the "Programs and Features window in Control Panel
- Non inclusion of dot net framework 3.5. A lot of apps will require it and you will have to download using windows update
- Sharing : MS has three very decent apps - News, sports and Finance. Suppose you open the news app and start reading. You like a story and want it to share on Facebook. Open the charms bar, hit share and its done. The headline, some part of text and a link is posted on Facebook. The problem? The link is not a web link to that news article but a link to open that article in the News app on another Win8 machine. The result : Anything shared using any of these 3 apps cannot be opened on any other Operating System except windows 8. Other OSes and some twitter clients don't even treat it as a link. Hence you will have to copy paste the link from a twitter app to IE10 that will redirect you to News app. If you share using mail, the last line in mail is "If you have Windows 8, open this in News."

- Chrome both stable and dev versions are unusable atleast for me
- Metro mode is only partially customizable, no black background color :(

Last edited:

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
@marvelousprashant,...thanks for the review...Did you face any trouble with any of the drivers?

All drivers installed perfectly. Some of them however prompted to install dot net framework 3 to be downloaded seperately.

Regarding third party apps to disable metro, they were working in dev preview but none of them worked in consumer preview. A bit of Googling told that Microsoft has disabled all ways to disable metro. So I did not try in RTM

reniarahim1

Youngling
So ms put a plug to all the holes to disable metro. Thats really bad. They should have given an option between metro (oh no modern ui) and classic desktop which would have been very useful for desktop users.

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Long time windows users will surely miss the start button. In my personal opinion however Metro is an extension of the good old start button. You can move to the Metro mode by clicking on the bottom right corner... same position ass start button. It now shows more information like weather updates. emails, Social feeds, news, stocks etc.

You can still use it to search and find apps. The search functionality has been extended to Store, Maps, Settings, bing, and many other things. People do say that Metro looks kiddish however it is so much easier to organize.

On windows 7, if I had to start an application not present on my desktop, I would have to click on Start and type in the first few letters of the app. The same number of steps are required on Windows 8. However you can use this same easy 2 step search to search through Maps, News, Photos, Sports, Tweets, Facebook, Music, Videos etc etc.

Start in XP and Win7 was great and newer UI will take time to get used too. But as a whole Win8 is definitely an upgrade over Win7

msn

खिड़की माने Windows
MS moved to Metro UI because of App Market. Very soon they will force us to buy most of the Apps from Market. Though at this point of time, some of them are free.

batman

Broken In
Before buying Windows 8, I am thinking of trying out the release preview.Which one is better- dual booting windows 8 with my vista or installing windows 8 in a virtual machine using VirtualBox?.

Last edited:

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Ok my post was deleted and I have received infraction. :(

I will modify my earlier post.

First of all are 4 versions of Win8 so far Developer Preview, Consumer Preview, Release Preview and RTM (Released to manufacturing)

RTM being the latest version is the best and is quite stable. But it is for 90days evaluation period only and once expired (or even before expiring) it CANNOT BE ACTIVATED EVEN BY A GENUINE KEY (acc to Microsoft)

Regarding the leaked version I want to warn that (as I did it in my earlier post) that the keys have been blocked by MS and they don't work. Furthermore using those keys may result in your Microsoft account being deleted.

Maybe I have made myself clear. I know the rules and I am not posting about pirated stuff. Maybe moderators will be easy on this one

Usui1811

uıɐƃɐ ʇou 'ʇıɥs ɥo
@marvelousprashant: seems like you have used both RTM and Release Preview, could you tell whats the difference between the two versions ? I know RTM was pretty stable, but besides it anything else ? Visually or in feel ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom