Windows 8.... What do you think ?

Upgrading to Windows 8 ?

• Yes, For Sure !

Votes: 39 33.3%
  • No, Never Win 7 Is Still Best !

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • Maybe, I'll Give Final Decision on Oct 26 !

Votes: 44 37.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
If thats true, Microsoft is trying to be a bully like Apple. It will be damn interesting if google releases an os for desktop.

Its true, that's what Gabe Newell (Valve) mentioned in AllThingsD conf. To give you an idea, releasing a patch for a 10$ downloadable game on 360 needs dev to pay MS a sum of 40,000$ (FEZ). This is how sh1t Windows in future is going to be.
Currently no royalty needs to be payed to release stuff on PC, with windows8 you will have market. Non royalty paid software will still be available, but not through windows market. Non market software will lag behind as now there is whole new App store infrastructure, promoting royalty paid software on the platform. Dev's will have to start putting stuff on official market hence increasing the price of the offering. Consumer will suffer.

Windows9 will be more like the current Mac OS where if you install apps outside their ecosystem(appstore) , you get a warning that the software may be harmful (gatekeeper), even if its coming from a reputed software maker. They have to pay for a certificate or sell their app in appstore. While this provides security, also further closes the door to cheaper legit stuff.
Broker earns the most.

NeoRoxio

Broken In
Its true, that's what Gabe Newell (Valve) mentioned in AllThingsD conf. To give you an idea, releasing a patch for a 10$ downloadable game on 360 needs dev to pay MS a sum of 40,000$ (FEZ). This is how sh1t Windows in future is going to be.
Currently no royalty needs to be payed to release stuff on PC, with windows8 you will have market. Non royalty paid software will still be available, but not through windows market. Non market software will lag behind as now there is whole new App store infrastructure, promoting royalty paid software on the platform. Dev's will have to start putting stuff on official market hence increasing the price of the offering. Consumer will suffer.

Windows9 will be more like the current Mac OS where if you install apps outside their ecosystem(appstore) , you get a warning that the software may be harmful (gatekeeper), even if its coming from a reputed software maker. They have to pay for a certificate or sell their app in appstore. While this provides security, also further closes the door to cheaper legit stuff.
Broker earns the most.

I don't get it. Non-royalty stuff is available through internet, obviously everyone will download it through internet only. It's not a necessity that every app/program should be entered through the Windows App Store, and nobody is forcing the user to download apps from the Windows App store only. And if they are promoting the royalty apps, they deserve their share of pay, right? They also have to maintain their servers and deal with other costs. It happens everywhere, even in iOS appstore and Google Play. It's just business.
And Gabe getting so 'catastrophic' over this makes no sense. The whole desktop world is left free for him and his Steam will run with no hindrances at all. Is Microsoft forcing him to make a Metro Steam? I don't think so.
And btw, not all apps on the Windows App store are paid, some of them are free also.

To give you an idea, releasing a patch for a 10$ downloadable game on 360 needs dev to pay MS a sum of 40,000$ (FEZ).
There was a reason MS demanded so much. Xbox live is a very closed system and they test each and every patch before implementing it to avoid any negative consequences on the users. The dev himself was inexperienced and kept rolling out faulty patches. That's why there is a fee every time the dev has to put a patch on the game. MS doesn't charge everyone with that ridiculous amount, it was just an unusual case.
They are just doing something that Google would have done to prevent the amount of bloatware that's floating around in Google Play. The more you make an open system, the higher the danger of upsetting the users with crap content. MS is trying to strike the perfect balance between a closed system and open system, and they are doing a very good job, in my opinion.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
I don't get it. Non-royalty stuff is available through internet, obviously everyone will download it through internet only. It's not a necessity that every app/program should be entered through the Windows App Store, and nobody is forcing the user to download apps from the Windows App store only. And if they are promoting the royalty apps, they deserve their share of pay, right? They also have to maintain their servers and deal with other costs. It happens everywhere, even in iOS appstore and Google Play. It's just business.

As I said, its available. But everyone will eventually have to sell their products on app store ; if you have product X on internet and I have its competition on the Windows marketplace, I will have an unfair advantage over you (because the market is default on the system and can’t even be uninstalled) , next thing you do is have your product on the marketplace too to compete better, pay MS its share and put the extra cost burden on yourself or the customer. Everyone loses but MS.
Mobile OS space was unorganized, app discovery was hopeless. App store there made sense, this is unnecessary. Good luck with buying games for cheaper price in future for PC, maybe not so much Win8 but we are going there.

And Gabe getting so 'catastrophic' over this makes no sense. The whole desktop world is left free for him and his Steam will run with no hindrances at all. Is Microsoft forcing him to make a Metro Steam? I don't think so.

May be now, but it’s clear what they will have to do in future, if origin and other players get on there and start doing better business, they will have to be there too. It’s not what is happening now , it’s what's going to happen in future. MS is forcing everyone in a way.

And btw, not all apps on the Windows App store are paid, some of them are free also.
To put a free app on market you have to pay yearly fee to MS.

There was a reason MS demanded so much. Xbox live is a very closed system and they test each and every patch before implementing it to avoid any negative consequences on the users. The dev himself was inexperienced and kept rolling out faulty patches. That's why there is a fee every time the dev has to put a patch on the game. MS doesn't charge everyone with that ridiculous amount, it was just an unusual case.

Xbox is closed, windows is not and should not be. No one discloses the amount that one has to pay for a patch on Xbox (NDA). This is the first time it got out and everyone knew about the amount. This was not a unusual case.

They are just doing something that Google would have done to prevent the amount of bloatware that's floating around in Google Play. The more you make an open system, the higher the danger of upsetting the users with crap content. MS is trying to strike the perfect balance between a closed system and open system, and they are doing a very good job, in my opinion.

MS is trying to strike no balance. They are just copying what Apple did, for very obvious reason. As I said, while this approach has its benefits there is much to lose. Metro will not work in corporate culture, they are taking this huge risk because they know Win7 is here to stay.

purnaprusty66

Right off the assembly line
Windows 8 is due to be released to consumers on October 26. Priced at just$39.99, the upgrade is surprisingly affordable.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Alright, I don't have time nor interest to read and go deep in this thing, instead I will ask my Digit friends, what the hell does this suppose to mean? I only care about games in an OS, will I be able to play them as fluently as I do in Win 7 x64? I have asked and also got an reply (positive one) from someone here but this article is making me think differently! Am I right?

CEO of Valve says Windows 8 is a "catastrophe"

nithun

Broken In
This is could be the final nail on the coffin for Windows....Windows 8 is massive change from Windows 7 or the like...it will be extremely confusing for the consumers, and with Windows RT/tablet edition it only gets worse. look at Apple they know the future is touch so they have incremental upgrades to os x each year...which leads to a smoother transition....just my thoughts

Tech&ME

Banned
This is could be the final nail on the coffin for Windows....Windows 8 is massive change from Windows 7 or the like...it will be extremely confusing for the consumers, and with Windows RT/tablet edition it only gets worse. look at Apple they know the future is touch so they have incremental upgrades to os x each year...which leads to a smoother transition....just my thoughts

Well Apples recent Mountain Lion upgrades is million times ahead of what MS is trying to give its consumers with Windows 8.

Apple knows the tricks, MS simply doesn't know this. :wink:

And to be frank neither of the companies, Apple or Microsoft, did come up with GUI in 1984. The first GUI was actually developed on Unix by Xerox.

What followed was just modifications on the original work of others. Which is what Microsoft is still doing. [ Apples interface has remained the same since 1985 ]

nithun

Broken In
The biggest advantage that Microsoft has over Apple is that it rules the enterprise segment..i don't think this is going to change any time soon....so they can take risks when it comes to general consumers...and most corporations just switched to win 7, so they most likely will take some more years to deploy a newer os..so win 9 would be more focused for the enterprise...

NeoRoxio

Broken In
Well Apples recent Mountain Lion upgrades is million times ahead of what MS is trying to give its consumers with Windows 8.
I'm 90% sure you haven't used Win8 or maybe Win7 as well so you don't have any idea what improvements have been made in Win8. Please share with us why do you think Mountain Lion improvement is better than Win8.

Apple knows the tricks, MS simply doesn't know this. :wink:
If that would have been the case MS would't have survived AS WELL AS dominated the PC market for the last two decades. 20 years and Apple still can't get a major share in the desktop consumer base.

And to be frank neither of the companies, Apple or Microsoft, did come up with GUI in 1984. The first GUI was actually developed on Unix by Xerox.
So neither of them deserve any credit. Also this is 2012, we should focus more on 'what's happening' instead of 'what's happened'.

What followed was just modifications on the original work of others. Which is what Microsoft is still doing. [ Apples interface has remained the same since 1985 ]
MS has changed their OS extensively. And they know they excel in innovation and bringing new things to the table. They aim to provide a new experience, not an old one.
Nobody cares what's old or what's changed, what's copied or what's original etc. The only thing matters is: what's the perfect product. That's it.

guess/hope it will be a flop

The 'guess' part is bearable but the 'hope' part is just......offensive.

Alright, I don't have time nor interest to read and go deep in this thing, instead I will ask my Digit friends, what the hell does this suppose to mean? I only care about games in an OS, will I be able to play them as fluently as I do in Win 7 x64? I have asked and also got an reply (positive one) from someone here but this article is making me think differently! Am I right?

CEO of Valve says Windows 8 is a "catastrophe"
You're right. You'll have no problem playing games in Win8, at all. Moreover MS guys are saying DirectX 11.1 is gonna be a huge improvement and will help a lot to provide better graphics with low drop in FPS.
Gabe Newell is talking about the Windows Store. He believes paid games will rise in price as distributors will be 'forced' to publish their games in Windows Store only. It's just his prediction and it has got nothing to do with how games will run or technical issues. If you don't buy games and use the 'other' method, you can just chill. ;)

Tech&ME

Banned
I'm 90% sure you haven't used Win8 or maybe Win7 as well so you don't have any idea what improvements have been made in Win8. Please share with us why do you think Mountain Lion improvement is better than Win8.

Are you kidding me ?? :shock:

Have you used Mac OS at all ? from Tiger to Lion at least ?? :lol:

If that would have been the case MS would't have survived AS WELL AS dominated the PC market for the last two decades. 20 years and Apple still can't get a major share in the desktop consumer base.

Apple products are priced a bit high, so the consumer base is little less. But do you think any company will charge you premium for a worst product ?? They will go off the market in a single day !!

So neither of them deserve any credit. Also this is 2012, we should focus more on 'what's happening' instead of 'what's happened'.

MS has changed their OS extensively. And they know they excel in innovation and bringing new things to the table. They aim to provide a new experience, not an old one.
Nobody cares what's old or what's changed, what's copied or what's original etc. The only thing matters is: what's the perfect product. That's it.

You are completely wrong, neither Apple nor MS has changed their products, the core is the same, only MS has modified the interface in all its iteration of new Windows Products with some modification on system files to make it more stable.

Apple on the other hand, has managed to keep the same interface in all its iteration of Mac OS X product line, with modification on the system files to add features and make it more stable.

On a side note to you :

MS has cheated features from Apple Mac OS X, for example the App Store integration with the OS.

NeoRoxio

Broken In
Are you kidding me ?? :shock:

Have you used Mac OS at all ? from Tiger to Lion at least ?? :lol:

Ummm... I just asked whether you've used Windows 7 and Windows 8 so you can compare the improvements. I didn't say Win8 is far more advanced than Mountain Lion. This is not the place to argue about that.

Apple products are priced a bit high, so the consumer base is little less. But do you think any company will charge you premium for a worst product ?? They will go off the market in a single day !!
Lol then why are you even comparing both of them? You're saying Apple has got more tricks in it's playbook than MS and they still can't target the low-end crowd. Why can't they make a cheap version of Mac? Why is it necessary that every product has to be highly priced?

only MS has modified the interface in all its iteration of new Windows Products
with some modification on system files to make it more stable.
Apple on the other hand, has managed to keep the same interface in all its iteration of Mac OS X product line, with modification on the system files to add features and make it more stable.
I'm sorry I don't want to continue this argument anymore. The above three quotes just show how much you know about the working of an OS, it's kernel and the depth of it's architecture.

On a side note to you :

MS has cheated features from Apple Mac OS X, for example the App Store integration with the OS.
AS i have said already:

NeoRoxio

Broken In
^^Yeah you're right. We should keep Mac and Apple out of topic right now.
Anyway I found another cool feature of Win8, you can mount ISOs and other disc images without using Daemon Tools! They added a native support for that.

Usui1811

uıɐƃɐ ʇou 'ʇıɥs ɥo
Well, considering about the speed boost which we are getting and of course the additional facilities, like ISO-file support, enhanced web support and backup utilities, increased data security, better file explorer interface, I dont think there is anything to complain about it just caring about the start menu. People saying they hate windows 8 change are merely all those who are too afraid to get adapted to the change. I personally love the new initiatives they are providing.

rider

as Kratos
I extremely hate the new windows 8 UI
I wish apple should sell mac OS like windows in intel/AMD PCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom