Windows 7 SP1 installation error (Access is denied)

ayushman9

Journeyman
Windows update showed me ,that sp1 (final) is available . It automatically downloaded it ,but while installing said "Access is denied)

I went to Microsoft download website ,manually downloaded the service pack . But even then when i run it simply it says "Access is denied" .If i run it with administrator it still sys "access is denied" . I took all of its ownership ,still the problem persists.

Some forums said ,antivirus may be the culprit . I disabled Norton 360 but got same problem .Then i did a clean boot with chksk runned prior ( which gave no errors) ,with all services (except MS) & startup items disabled.

I then logged with safe mode . I am the only administrator so no other account present . Even then it showed the same error when i ran it with & without administrator preferences.

When i decided t take ownership of whole c-drive (in safe mode) .It also showed me a access denied error ,while changing properties .

I am at my wits end . What should i do

By the way I have a genuine win 7 premium (preinstalled by hp) so no piracy issues

And yes i have latest updates till yesterday installed. When i downloaded sp1 from Microsoft website it was whooping 900 MB approx ,while Windows update showed me 76.3-803 MB as download size ,but downloaded 76.3 MB & did installation (of course not successful due to so called "access is denied " message)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Is there enough free space inside the OS drive?

You can try enabling the Real administrator account of Windows 7 by referring this article -> Enable the (Hidden) Administrator Account on Windows 7 or Vista - How-To Geek

But be warned: that If your system have a virus, (which is unlikely since you update winodws regularly and have Norton Antivirus) turning on the Real administrator mode can make the problem worse!

Also, if you DO have the latest updates installed till yesterday, then there is a little need to install SP1. You can refer this digit article, to know whats new in SP1, and decide, if its worth it? Microsoft releases Windows 7 SP1 - Online Best Latest Price Reviews | Features in India

OP
ayushman9

ayushman9

Journeyman
Also, if you DO have the latest updates installed till yesterday, then there is a little need to install SP1. You can refer this digit article, to know whats new in SP1, and decide, if its worth it? Microsoft releases Windows 7 SP1 - Online Best Latest Price Reviews | Features in India

I have 37.2 gb free of 92 gb in OS

And ya i m not installing the SP1 for purely system update ,rather because it will show Windows 7 ,SP1 installed in computer information ,when someone views it.

You may think that to be a crazy concept ,but it gives me felling that not only my PC is up to date ,but it is genuine too

Also i guess thats why windows update was downloading only 73.6 MB out of 800 MB ,as rest of the updates are preinstalled .

while i cannot comment anything about virus as system is running quite fine ,with no error messages ,slowdown since last 4 to 5 months . Also i regularly clean registry using reg cleaner. Antivirus & firewall are also up to date ( till yesterday)

I guess the problem lies somewhere within permissions

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I guess the problem lies somewhere within permissions

So have you tried installing updates with real administrative account enabled?
If the problem lies within permission, then only that could be your best bet.

All de best.

D

Deleted member 26636

have you tried to install it with UAC disabled? Because i just updated to service pack 1 (32bit) today without any problems whatsoever..

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
I seamlessly updated to SP1 on Win7 yesterday -- though just on my netbook. Will wait a while to patch the gaming rig. Though the SP1 seems stable.

OP
ayushman9

ayushman9

Journeyman
I tried with real admin account as told but inside that even same result

let see if disabling UAC work

by the way , i have Windows 7 premium - 64 bit . And yes i have downloaded 64 bit update only.

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

Tried disabling UAC & then installing . Again same result . I guess some of the updates that i had installed prior to SP1 might have locked some windows files in some ways that SP1 is not getting installed

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ possible. you have the Win7 64bit DVD? if yes, reinstall (just update) & then try updating to SP1. a larger update will be downloaded as it'll include the previous security as well as stability updates as well.

OP
ayushman9

ayushman9

Journeyman
^^ possible. you have the Win7 64bit DVD? if yes, reinstall (just update) & then try updating to SP1. a larger update will be downloaded as it'll include the previous security as well as stability updates as well.

i can't say that the dvd that is with me is original or not . It is windows ultimate SP1 i believe (SP1 Slipstream i guessed,my freind had given me ) .Though it is 64 bit

Can i use it to repair the premium that is preinstalled in my laptop

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

Please try this. It might help.

strange strange ,again encountered access is denied error with this one

file name - Windows6.1-KB947821-v10-x64

*img694.imageshack.us/img694/2008/errorplo.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

is something seriously wrong with my PC ,because as far as i can remember i have not done any massive changes since i bought the laptop (6 months back)

D

Deleted member 26636

if all else fails, do a complete fresh reinstall & then try to update....

pauldmps

Banned
I think you should open a support thread in the Microsoft forums.

Your problem is pretty weird, BTW. Try uninstalling Norton (I never liked their products). It may be Norton interfering with your permissions or it may be some malware (which obviously, passed Norton undetected.)

A clean format & installation should do otherwise.

OP
ayushman9

ayushman9

Journeyman
I think you should open a support thread in the Microsoft forums.

Your problem is pretty weird, BTW. Try uninstalling Norton (I never liked their products). It may be Norton interfering with your permissions or it may be some malware (which obviously, passed Norton undetected.)

A clean format & installation should do otherwise.

dude ,that is last resort & i will tell you why

there are 75 Gb of software & 115 GB of games installed not mentioning lots & lots of custom settings . A clean format is the best & is also my first preference in this kind of situations ,but whenever i think of this mammoth kind of data reinstallation ,it give me creeps . I have been maintaining acronis backup since long ,which is the reason why my system is stable ,since any wrong can be reverted with simple click.

But a clean -install is different ,it means a lot of headache for at least 6 to 7 days ,plus many of the games installation discs are no longer with me . How will i get them back

From this forum vibes i feel it is not worth it as many of the people are saying it is not worth upgrading to SP 1 if everything is all right . My lappy is running fine . Maybe after 2 or 3 months when i will be able to finish most of my games ,i will install straight win 7 ultimate with SP1 Slipstreamed . I think thats a better proposition.

Plus my warranty period is getting over after say 4 months . Then whatever i do , at least risk will be mine

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
strange strange ,again encountered access is denied error with this one
file name - Windows6.1-KB947821-v10-x64

Why the file name is Win 6.1... Isn't should be something like, Win 7...

Also there could be two other and basic possibilities of this Access Denied error...
1. Corrupt: Are you sure that the file was completely downloaded, and not interrupted in between. Cause then the file itself could be corrupt.

2. Malware: Access denied error had occured with me in the past, when my exe's have been corrupted by a virus named, "Virut32" virus. That was the worst possible virus that I had fought with. (and only Norton was able to remove it).
It could be possible that there is a hidden malware installed on your system.
But you can check this with running other exe's. Since the malware would have corrupted other exe's too.

All de best.

OP
ayushman9

ayushman9

Journeyman
Why the file name is Win 6.1... Isn't should be something like, Win 7...

Also there could be two other and basic possibilities of this Access Denied error...
1. Corrupt: Are you sure that the file was completely downloaded, and not interrupted in between. Cause then the file itself could be corrupt.

2. Malware: Access denied error had occured with me in the past, when my exe's have been corrupted by a virus named, "Virut32" virus. That was the worst possible virus that I had fought with. (and only Norton was able to remove it).
It could be possible that there is a hidden malware installed on your system.
But you can check this with running other exe's. Since the malware would have corrupted other exe's too.

All de best.

agreed that file could have been corrupted . But that is possible with the file that i have manually downloaded

What about windows update . It is also downloading SP1 & showing access is denied error . Now Windows update installs rest of the updates smmothly . It yesterday downloaded & updated my mouse drivers from windows update . Only in SP1 it is showing problems

I believe that maybe repair-clean-repair-update cycle that might have gone in past has made the file system so much complex that though everything is working right ,but noting is in sync & SP1 basically must have some prequistics regarding file arrangement & properties which it is not founding & displaying access denied error.

Just in case someone requiresto know something about this problem in future here are the screenshots of problems encountered

file name --

windows6.1-KB976932-X64

( Windows 7 SP1 X64 ) , Downloaded from windows update (& i don't know why they call it windows 6.1 )

file properties

*img191.imageshack.us/img191/6782/sp1packproperties.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The exact error message encountered while installing (Both in windows update as well as manual installation )

*img694.imageshack.us/img694/2402/errormessageck.th.jpg

The message that appears in windows update after the installation failure

*img42.imageshack.us/img42/3235/windowsupdateerrormessa.th.jpg

Thanks for your efforts . I guess sometimes software just get so screwed up ,their is no chance of opening them

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I believe that maybe repair-clean-repair-update cycle that might have gone in past has made the file system so much complex that though everything is working right ,but noting is in sync & SP1 basically must have some prequistics regarding file arrangement & properties which it is not founding & displaying access denied error.

Wow.. that is one of the most geekiest explanation I have ever read in a while! :cool:

As far as my opinion goes, I think you, yourself have given the solution to the problem.
You have said, that "... Windows update installs rest of the updates smoothly". So this tells us, that there IS some problem with that particular update only. I don't think it's right.
And if it is and you don't get "Access", by not even activating Real administrative account, then its out my league dude...

Top Bottom