Windows 7 SP1 installation error (Access is denied)

pauldmps

Banned
Windows 7 is actually version 6.1. This version naming has been done to maintain compatibility with Vista-compatible programs & files.

Also searching for the error code you posted, reveals the following:

Error 0x80070005 while installing Windows Vista service pack.

This result pertain to installing Vista SP2 but should also be helpful to you.

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

I went through the thread. The person posting his problem there also has Norton 360 installed. So this might be the culprit.

OK.. I am just getting back to this. I still am unable to install the servioce packs .. not service pack 1 or 2/ I have tried both using windows update and also doing the standalone version. doesn't work. I have turned off my Norton 360 and am logged in as administrator. Everything LOOKS like it is working and after an hour or so that it takes to do the install, at the end of phase 3 it says that the install failed and takes another hour to uninstall it.

The error code 0x80070005 is also described as ACCESS DENIED (you do not have permission to install updates.

Please check that you have logged on an account with administrative privileges.

This issue can be also caused by third-party security programs such as firewalls and anti-virus software.

"Please follow these instructions if you are encountering this error code when checking or installing updates via Windows Udpate. The following is only applicable to Windows Vista.

1. Download AccessChk (Sysinternals). This tool allows you to evaluate the access level of specific users or groups of resources including files, directories, Registry keys, global objects and Windows services. Here's the link to download the tool: AccessChk

2. Save the zip file on your desktop, and extract the file:
- Right click on the file, and select Extract All...
- Click Next when prompted for the Destination.

As a result, you should see a folder called AccessChk on your desktop.

3. Open the folder AccessChk

4. Hold the shift-key and right click in the window. Select "Open Command Prompt Here"

5. A command prompt window should open with a similar prompt:
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Desktop\accesschk>

6. Type the following command, and press Enter:
accesschk.exe -s -n "nt service\trustedinstaller" -k "hklm\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing" >accesskchk.txt
Tip: You should be able to copy and paste the command into the command prompt.

7. Close the Command Prompt Window. Open the Accesschk folder on yoru desktop (if it has been closed).

8. Double click on Accesschk.txt (the text file), this should open Notepad.

If this does not help,

1. Please download the subinacl.msi file from the following link and save the installation patch onto the Desktop:

Download details: SubInACL (SubInACL.exe)
SubInACL (SubInACL.exe)

2. Please go to the Desktop and double click the downloaded file.
3. Please select the C:\Windows\System32 folder as the Destination Folder during the installation. Later we will use this tool to reset the permission settings on the current machine.
4. Click the "Start" Button, in the "Start Search" bar, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.
5. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window:

@echo off

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f

@Echo =========================
@Echo Finished.
@Echo =========================
@pause

6. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose "Save" when you are prompted to save the file. Type "reset.bat" as the file name and choose "Desktop" from the left panel as the save location.

7. Refer to the Desktop and right click the reset.bat file, then choose "Run as administrator."

8. You will see a DOS-like window processing.

NOTE: It may take several minutes, please be patient. When it is finished, you will be prompted with the message: "Finished, press any key to continue".

Note: About some driver update installation procedure, we also received this error code, please reroute this kind of case to Vista System Team, because, it may regard for third party programs structure.

Check for the updates after this.

Hope this information is useful.

This issue can be also caused by third-party security programs such as firewalls and anti-virus software. You can disable or remove them to check the issue.

Windows Update Forum "

From my notes -

OP
ayushman9

ayushman9

Journeyman
This result pertain to installing Vista SP2 but should also be helpful to you.

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

I went through the thread. The person posting his problem there also has Norton 360 installed. So this might be the culprit.

I ran acesschk.exe & this was displayed in results (The text document created )

"Error opening HKLM\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Co mponent Based Servicing:
The system cannot find the file specified.

No matching objects found."

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

And went by the second method also ,by installing subinacl.msi

but same result . Though the command promt open for say half an hour or so

I guess the last chance is to remove norton 360 & see . But that gonna take some time as i ave to be absolute sure if noting remains in pc (virus,spyware or so)

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Sorry for my OFF TOPIC query,
Is Windows 7 SP1 upgradable from Windows 7 normal version? or I have to re-install a new Win 7 SP1? I am currently using Win 7 x64.
Thanks in advance.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^ Windows SP1 is just like a patch. And you dont have to re-install windows again!

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Sorry for my OFF TOPIC query,
Is Windows 7 SP1 upgradable from Windows 7 normal version? or I have to re-install a new Win 7 SP1? I am currently using Win 7 x64.
Thanks in advance.

Just pull it via Windows Update. It should all ready be showing as an Optional Update Available.

Quite easy.

OP
ayushman9

ayushman9

Journeyman
Guys it i think i have came too close to what's stopping the SP1 Installation

I recently visited my hometown raipur for vacation & decided to check my desktop . Now my desktop & laptop configuration are exactly same as i had personally set both of them

However the differences are in

-> Hardware configuration (Laptop is relatively new ,i mean new by 3 years )

-> Software configuration (desktop has windows 7 ultimate while laptop has windows 7 homw premium )

-> I regularly use Acronis backup to restore in case of error . In fact the PC had undergone restore 3 times more than laptop

Leaving that nearly every thing are same ,ie same antivirus (Norton 360 (same version in both ) updated to latest updates ),windows updates (updated to latest updates) ,same softwares except few games which i believe do not affect installations

Now when i booted up i noticed that desktop is much faster than laptop despite laptop having edge in hardware . When i logged in it showed that Windows 7 sp1 is available in windows update & believe me the download size was same 83.2 MB ,that was in the laptop ,which proved that both laptop and desktop were synchronized at least with respect to system updation frequency .

However this time ,the sp1 installation worked perfectly despite Norton 360 running .

So i thought than what may be the problem . I analysed the services running in both computers simultaneously . Since i had installed the desktop operating system by myself son most of the services were known to me . However in Laptop many non-identifiable services were running which did not matched with PC. I guess of some of them were related to battery status etc but many of them unknown & hogging system resources .However the startup items in both computers are were same ie Norton 360 & Daemon tools.

On careful analysis i found that 93% of the UN-identifiable services were related to HP Framework ,which controlled the hot keys ,wifi buttons etc . Since these services are installed by HP & as the laptop came preinstalled i think that's why i never noticed . These framework were not only numerous but were taking upto 709 MB of memory ,where as my desktop computer still has 2.3 GB memory free despite having less ram (3gb vs 4 gb) than
laptop.

So i finally can safely say that Norton 360 is not the culprit else it should have blocked installation in PC itself . The culprit i think is the way in which HP has installed the operating system by heavily integrating it's proprietary software in a way which is blocking further critical updates .

It is not possible to remove the frame work as such as i have been used to using the various facilities . But the only course remaining is to format the lappy ,do service pack clean installation ,then installed Recommended HP softwares . As lappy is still in warranty ,so i guess i have to postpone till end of guarantee period .

choudang

Padawan
just a wild thot .. when i am viewing properties my win7 is not displaying the month in Hindi, that means OP using Hindi language in somewhere which is preventing the system update.

not sure [it is wild thot...]

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
It is not possible to remove the frame work as such as i have been used to using the various facilities . But the only course remaining is to format the lappy ,do service pack clean installation ,then installed Recommended HP softwares . As lappy is still in warranty ,so i guess i have to postpone till end of guarantee period .

But by doing a clean install, won't you lose genuine windows 7? Will you able to re-activate your windows?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Yeah.. and after so many problems.. even I am resisting the call to upgrade.

Top Bottom