Windows 7: Microsoft's Linux killer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Got it just this evening. Got 32bit edition. Looks like it's around 2.5gig. Don't now if it has all the features or not.

Finished installation. Took around 1hr.

First impression: What the hell is this??

Will upload pictures soon.

using 585MB of 2Gig ram without any apps running.

Last edited:

Partymonger

Broken In
Haha..you got the wrong build..

You should have waited for the next release..

before jumping the gun remember that this is pre beta software..you dont get to cry abt it:)

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Looks how a beta build should look like. 90% Vista like look.

First issue that I encountered: There is a 100Gb partition in one HDD and that partition is not visible under "Computer" and is visible in "Disk management".

chandru.in

In the zone
Finished installation. Took around 1hr.
One hour to install an OS which does even have any useful app by default? Ok so Ubuntu wins hands down on installation front. It installed from Live CD on my system (along with loads of useful apps) in exactly 20 mins (mirrors were too busy as I installed on day of release and around 5-7 mins mins of those 20 were spent on downloading the package lists at 5-20 kbps).

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Haha..you got the wrong build..

You should have waited for the next release..

before jumping the gun remember that this is pre beta software..you dont get to cry abt it:)

I have been testing Windows OS builds for a decade. I know how to handle them and that could be a reason why I was able to get most out of Vista when others boo'ed it :)

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
One hour to install an OS which does even have any useful app by default? Ok so Ubuntu wins hands down on installation front. It installed from Live CD on my system (along with loads of useful apps) in exactly 20 mins (mirrors were too busy as I installed on day of release and around 5-7 mins mins of those 20 were spent on downloading the package lists at 5-20 kbps).

oh. and you are comparing a prebeta build of this OS to Ubuntu?

How about this: I tried to install beta of Ubuntu 8.10 on my PC and it used to hand at the step where it formats partitions for installation. Tried on 3 different PC's and faced the same problem. What would this mean?

I can say, chalo atleast windows 7 prebeta is working???

But pre-beta release is what was used to quote RAM usage and was called Linux killer in the title. :p

Didn't you notice the "?" at the end of the title :)

and here comes problem 2: Two windows are maximised and the title bar's text of two windows is overlapped :)

If you guys want me to test any apps, let me know. And ofcourse, they should be free apps!!!

Correction

Installation time: Around 40 minutes.

Score:

Processor: 4.1
RAM: 4.6
Graphics: 5.9
Gaming: 5.1
HDD: 5.5

base score: 4.1

Installed ATI catalyst 8.10 and wow, it looks lot cleaner now.

Last edited:

chandru.in

In the zone
oh. and you are comparing a prebeta build of this OS to Ubuntu?
How about this: I tried to install beta of Ubuntu 8.10 on my PC and it used to hand at the step where it formats partitions for installation. Tried on 3 different PC's and faced the same problem. What would this mean?

I can say, chalo atleast windows 7 prebeta is working???
Windows has never been fast at installation. Even XP takes at least 30-40 mins to install (without drivers and other apps). Also, there was a mention about partitioning problems in many of 8.10 test releases. Can you point me to a slow installation issue in Windows 7 noted in any form in any of Microsoft's sites?

Didn't you notice the "?" at the end of the title :)
Yup that's why I'm answering his & her question. :p

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
hehe. okay.

Booting time: 43seconds

Issue numer 3: My tech-com internal card not working (philips 7138 chipset). Installed drivers (vista drivers) and included app and error when I try to open the app is:
"Hardware could not be initialized".

Rebooting the OS, let's see how it goes.

after reboot, no luck.Couldn't get the card work.

anyways, it's getting too late now. Testing to resume tomorrow.

This time, will try it on another PC, HP xw4300 workstation.

Last edited:

amitava82

MMO Addict
Stop trolling around. You want me to believe that Live Ubuntu CD downloads packages during installation? Please don't lie to prove that Linux is better than any other OS. You know why I don't talk for Linux anymore? because of guys like you, MetalheadGautham and bunch of new breeds of linux users. If you think it's better, use it. You don't have to lie and spread your FUD to prove it better. And since you like it so much and it worth something, why not make some donations or join in development team and do some contribution? Or it's all about saving money or being 'geek' & 'expert' in front of you stupid friends who use Windows?

I hate these guys who keep on shouting: oh look windows and MAC is crap, Windows and MAC users are noob, Linux is freedom, Opensource (half of the linux users don't even care about source code or don't have any idea about programming), look at me, I'm a linux geek, bla bla. Please get a life. (__)

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
@amitava82- I guess u r a M$ MVP.....dude why do u bother when they r comparing with linux or mac.....its jus comparision.....ur argument gonna not stop them from commenting...

If u wanna argue more..tell mods to move this thread to fight club...Then Lets see abt ur opinion n others opinion.

New

Padawan
For me Windows 7(6801) took just around 30 minutes to get installed.You can enable the superbar(new taskbar) using this or this guide.

I am happy with Windows 7:)

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
@amitava82- I guess u r a M$ MVP.....dude why do u bother when they r comparing with linux or mac.....its jus comparision.....ur argument gonna not stop them from commenting...
Amitava is far from an MVP as they can get. Hes just another computer user who prefers not to go to extreme lengths of advocating products.

Ok so Ubuntu wins hands down on installation front. It installed from Live CD on my system (along with loads of useful apps) in exactly 20 mins (mirrors were too busy as I installed on day of release and around 5-7 mins mins of those 20 were spent on downloading the package lists at 5-20 kbps).
I find that hard to believe as well.

I hate these guys who keep on shouting: oh look windows and MAC is crap, Windows and MAC users are noob, Linux is freedom, Opensource (half of the linux users don't even care about source code or don't have any idea about programming), look at me, I'm a linux geek, bla bla. Please get a life. (__)
Please note that not everyone is a fanboy or spreads fud either. But I do agree with what you said. People who go to extreme lengths to advocate a product make me feel sorry using it in the first place.

chandru.in

In the zone
You want me to believe that Live Ubuntu CD downloads packages during installation?
When on holy earth did I say that non-sense. In your effort to attack me, do not put words in my mouth. :mad:

Read the part you highlighted again. I said "package lists" not "packages". Package lists sent by repositories are not 100s of MBs FYI.

And since you like it so much and it worth something, why not make some donations or join in development team and do some contribution
What made you decide I don't contribute? :confused:

I find that hard to believe as well.
What is so hard to believe in it? If you meant the installation time, I can reliably demonstrate. If you meant download time, see my reply to amitava above.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
What is so hard to believe in it? If you meant the installation time, I can reliably demonstrate. If you meant download time, see my reply to amitava above.
I find it hard to believe that you would find that you could install Ubuntu in 13-15 minutes as per your claim. (Download time reduced for your benefit.)
*www.filledvoid.com/2008/05/19/hardy-heron-installed/
Please note that it does take quite some time to boot up the Live CD / DVD and also it will very independent on the hardware you are running it on. On the above machine I believe it took 2-3 minutes to boot up.
Now keep your fingers crossed and go ahead and click on the Install button . Please notethat the installation process does take a considerable amount of time. I wasn't out to set any new speed records but I believe the Install procedure did take about up to 45 minutes. While I was waiting I tried out the Gnu Chess Program. Although it doesn't look all that appeasing I must say that its quite smart at outwitting its opponents. You can pretty much use all the features of the Live CD/DVD while the installation goes on so be free to do anything while it is installing.
I've installed this on pretty much on all my family members' computers. The install time either hit anywhere between 40 to 1 hr. No customization no nothing. Just the defaults for most.

Im not here to prove Ubuntu is crappy. I've said it before and always stuck with it. Ubuntu is a great OS to start out with. But I do call FUD when I see it. In my PoV what you said is FUD . Hence Im calling it. Not to mention I knew all the options for the install before install. The chances of a person new to Ubuntu knowing that is near to nil.

Sicne people think I might be making up stuff. here we go. I went to #Ubuntu to find out what I could have possibly done wrong.

*www.imgx.org/pthumbs/small/12257/ubuntu-myproof.jpg

Im not even going to mention who answered that cause the last thing he needs is people to join the channel just to flame him. Hes been supporting Ubuntu in that channel for ages. not to mention hes an Op there as well.

Last edited:

Pat

Beyond Smart
I've installed this on pretty much on all my family members' computers. The install time either hit anywhere between 40 to 1 hr. No customization no nothing. Just the defaults for most.

To be honest, installation of Ubuntu never took more than 25-30 mins on any of the systems I have installed it on. (Ofcourse that does not include the boot time of the live system)

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
To be honest, installation of Ubuntu never took more than 25-30 mins on any of the systems I have installed it on. (Ofcourse that does not include the boot time of the live system)
Im including everything I would if I were to pass the same judgement on Windows. Boot up and reboot time included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom