Win7 or XP on Atom N455

ysmonyog

Journeyman
Which OS will perform better on Lenovo 10-3C netbook (Atom N455/ 2GB DDR3 / Intel WMA 3150)?
XP PRO SP3 or
WIN 7 Ultimate with Aero Peak disabled and visual settings for best performance.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Am running Win7 Ultimate on my Aspire 255 (N450; 1GB DDR2). All is fine. Aero is disabled.

XP is old now. Forget it.

abhijangda

Padawan
I think XP PRO SP3 will run better
alternatively u could also use Linux Mint, Ubuntu they will run even better than XP PRO SP3

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
even my recommendation is XP with SP3 - after installing it make sure to update it.

OP
Y

ysmonyog

Journeyman
Thanks everyone.

At present Win7 Ultimate is installed on my netbook. Aero disabled. It is a bit sluggish.

Since majority thinks XP will perform better, I shall go with it.

Ps. My vendor says duel booting slows down the system. Is it so?

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Thanks everyone.

At present Win7 Ultimate is installed on my netbook. Aero disabled. It is a bit sluggish.

Well if you want the snappy response of a desktop I doubt you would ever get that with a Netbook. Win7 is highly more optimized than XP. It uses more RAM --- HOLD ON, which is good, cause it keeps tasks ready and allocated to the buffer for quick execution. I doubt you will see performance increase with age old XP. Just keep Aero off. XP looks gross...!
:)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks everyone.

your vendor is wrong - there won't be any kind of slowdown. If you are interested you can customize xp installation for your needs ie removing unnecessary and unused components, slipstreaming hot fixes and service pack, a bunch of tiny little apps of your choice etc. You can bring down the installer size as low as 190MB. I'm using such custom configured xp and this is a lot faster.

Well if you want the snappy response of a desktop I doubt you would ever get that with a Netbook. Win7 is highly more optimized than XP. It uses more RAM --- HOLD ON, which is good, cause it keeps tasks ready and allocated to the buffer for quick execution. I doubt you will see performance increase with age old XP. Just keep Aero off. XP looks gross...!

even windows 7 with aero theme disabled looked like white washed ( IMO ) and XP's default Luna theme is not that great as well but Xp has some moded and official themes which are very nice but the aero theme of windows 7 is one of the best desktop interface - no doubt about that.

I'm using XP with classic theme anyway for more than a year and half and I think it's pretty good to look at.

OP
Y

ysmonyog

Journeyman

Will ReadyBoost compatible Pen Drive will enhance the performance.
If so, I shall purchase one. I do not know whether my existing Transcend (JF V30) 4GB drive is compatible for ReadyBoost or not.

your vendor is wrong - there won't be any kind of slowdown. If you are interested you can customize xp installation for your needs ie removing unnecessary and unused components, slipstreaming hot fixes and service pack, a bunch of tiny little apps of your choice etc. You can bring down the installer size as low as 190MB. I'm using such custom configured xp and this is a lot faster.
Such customization is beyond the scope of my knowledge. I may not be able to do it.

Last edited:

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
dual??? m tripple booting if i count linux ubuntu aswell with vista home premium and xp.

and true its completely fine if you aint having virus and all. mine is tablet pc and not at all high configured compared to today.

about 7 and xp, xp is handy it will give you faster speed as it doesnt have too much of hidden tasks to eat your cpu aswell as gpu and ram. plus it supports many applications (esp office ones) that are a bit older.

on the other hand, win 7 will utilize some of your hardware features better than xp but will surely be slower. make wise choice according to your needs. good luck

Enjoy~!

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
you can make xp look like vista basic with custopack

Don't you think such customization packs will hog system resources and slow down a netbook - To get speedy performance it's not recommended to use any customization pack since they easts up a lot of system resources and some time is te main cause for throwing up some dll errors.

OP
Y

ysmonyog

Journeyman
Yes, my concern is to get max performance not looks.

about 7 and xp, xp is handy it will give you faster speed as it doesnt have too much of hidden tasks to eat your cpu aswell as gpu and ram. plus it supports many applications (esp office ones) that are a bit older.

on the other hand, win 7 will utilize some of your hardware features better than xp but will surely be slower.

I think we can reduce some background tasks by disabling some services or setting them to manual. Can someone provide a link to any tutorial etc. describing the services of which can safely be disabled/set to manual?

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
i believe even after disabling certain things in win 7 you may find xp still a bit faster. if you want performance for your applications i recommend xp coz i always find xp consuming less ram and cpu compared to vista and windows 7. still you should go through some better suggestions. especially from people who have faced both and done with tweaking jobs.

ps: i too have faced both but not the best with tweaking.

Enjoy~!

Last edited:

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
Win7 is anyday faster than XP? It boots faster...games can be played in better and faster way. office applications and movies also play faster.

Remember it is an updated version of same OS...it has to be better than previous versions.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, my concern is to get max performance not looks.

I think we can reduce some background tasks by disabling some services or setting them to manual. Can someone provide a link to any tutorial etc. describing the services of which can safely be disabled/set to manual?

Here you go :

Black Viper's Web Site

Top Bottom