Why Security Pros Use Macs

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackpearl

The Devil
@aryayush:
What's your problem dude? If you like mac, fine. Just use it. Why do you have to keep singing in praise? Nobody likes such people, you know that.

There are only 3-4 mac users here and the rest windows users and they like their OS too. Have you seen any Windows users doing what you are doing?

praka123

left this forum longback
deepak.krishnan said:
bcoz hackers and virus writers are not at all interested in Macs
I cant get ur point.pls read:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=500801&postcount=17
^^ the explanation is easy to get isnt it?

MAC OS X is a UNIX(freebsd base).right?.UNIX is secure.infact very much secure than DOS or Windows inherently.now dont hear the false point FUDed by the fanboys `de Windows here.dont make conclusions without actual experiance.:confused:
there are people who uses Linux,bsd's,mac's and many other OS who are satisified.Yes,the popularity of UNIX are growing esp Linux.even if popularity of UNIX os's increases Viruses or any other craps cannot procreate themselves in UNIX like architecture.
this is not to offend you.but just to make known the facts rather than the FUD spreaded by win fanboys here. :-|

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
linux and mac are as vulnerable as windows .... its a globally accepted fact by mac experts also tht if hackers train their eyes on a mac or linux it will also face the same wrath as windows does ;)

praka123

left this forum longback
^^ ranting or whining eh? ::got his ears closed with araldite:: :p
Digest the facts dude,rather than FUD ing eh?I know u guys the trio pioneering in FUDing MAC and Linux.Pathetic U guys :x

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
^^ ranting or whining eh? ::got his ears closed with araldite:: :razz:
Digest the facts dude,rather than FUD ing eh?I know u guys the trio pioneering in FUDing MAC and Linux.Pathetic U guys :mad:

In one of the other threads, isn't it you prakka spreading FUD about Microsoft & DRM

praka123

left this forum longback
Yes DRM is infested in MS Vista.god knows what else they got inside closed source os to loot critical datas of poor users signed their fcuking EULA.why ur lieing?I am saying truth only.
arent u the trio who are spreading nonsense in this forum creating troubles for MAC and Linux users?I have gon through ur threads..this is pure FUD u guys are doing.and where is the admin @fatbeing.sir,please go through the threads created and run by imav,gx_saurav especially. :x

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Yes DRM is infested in MS Vista.god knows what else they got inside closed source os to loot critical datas of poor users signed their fcuking EULA.why ur lieing?I am saying truth only.

MS looting my super secret recepie. how the hell are they doing it? :D

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
preading nonsense in this forum ... hey arya have we said anything wrong ... all that we pointed out was correct even u know that may be the way we said it can be questioned but we arent spreading lies ... and hey praka MS is not providing DRM content ... if u r against DRM curse the content providers ;) and can u tell wht effect has DRM had on u ? im using vista, gx is using, vishal is using, anand is using none of them have said that DRM has caused any problems to them no user on the net has said tht DRM has caused them problems but its u OSS users hijacking MS threads ... fatbeing go thru his FUDs also in all MS threads ...

and arya i think u can help us out here we havent said anything that not there in mac what we have said is what is true as i said the way we said can be questioned ...

security users use mac ... and we have a OSS user talking about DRM :confused: and then saying we are doing something wrong :x

i_am_crack

HAF 922 Owner
Some guy gives the funda of something and the other pop that here and there are N numbers of guys fight of justice.....

God Save you people...

Long Live users......

kumarmohit

Technomancer
praka123 said:

Just wondering, the code of linux kernel becomes official when Linus Torvalds and his committee clears it, right!!!

The Kernel itself has like a million lines of code, Did you go thru every single line of code of every single app, daemon or server running on your PC to ensure that linux was not sending info to Torvalds and his bunch or Redhat etc.

Its impossible to go through it for everyone, right and moreover they will never do it because they have reputation @ stake.

Similarly, MS also has reputation @ stake and moreover their main revenue comes from sales not support like FOSS companies so they will not do it either, and that is why the law requires a document called privacy policy, breach of which has serious consequences.

Rest assued dude, and please do a bit research before accusing anyone.

eddie

El mooooo
kumarmohit said:
The Kernel itself has like a million lines of code, Did you go thru every single line of code of every single app, daemon or server running on your PC to ensure that linux was not sending info to Torvalds and his bunch or Redhat etc.
Have you completely lost it? Kernel by itself cannot do anything and cannot send any information to any place. Kernel is just that...kernel. To get anything else working...you need to have such patches in both...kernel as well as user space program. What you are suggesting is that Torvalds patches the kernel with some privacy invading patches and then ties up with a user space program to get your info.

If for a moment we believe the absolute absurdity you just mentioned; then also to get any patch into kernel tree, people need to go through a proper channel and the channel is linux tracker. You need to first up your patch for any and everyone's review and once that has happened then only the patch goes into the tree. As far as user space program is concerned, almost all the programs maintain similar bug trackers for patch evaluation and if some program does not do it...then it is usually so small that you can review the whole source by yourself. Do you see how difficult it is to execute your conspiracy theory? Ignorance is reaching new levels every day on this forum...
Similarly, MS also has reputation @ stake and moreover their main revenue comes from sales not support like FOSS companies so they will not do it either, and that is why the law requires a document called privacy policy, breach of which has serious consequences.
Windows has a privacy policy? Mind linking us to Windows Vista's copy of this document? I couldn't find while googling.
Yup...the conspiracy story you just tried to feed us was backed with solid reasoning and elaborate research. You are so awesome!!! :rolleyes:

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
eddie said:
Windows has a privacy policy? Mind linking us to Windows Vista's copy of this document? I couldn't find while googling
*www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/privacy/vistartm_full.mspx :cool:
*www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/privacy/default_ie.mspx :cool:

Windows Vista Privacy Statement said:
Windows Vista Privacy Statement

For information about prior releases of Windows Vista, selected software that is part of the operating system, or related services, please refer to Privacy Statements for additional features and services on the right.

For information about specific features, please refer to Supplemental privacy information for Windows Vista features on the right.

View the privacy notice highlights

Last Updated: November 2006

Microsoft is committed to protecting your privacy, while delivering software that brings you the performance, power and convenience you desire in your personal computing. Please read the Windows Vista Privacy Statement below and also any supplemental information listed to the right for additional details about many of the data collection and use practices of Windows Vista, and Microsoft services that you may use.

This disclosure focuses on features that communicate with the Internet and is not intended to be an exhaustive list. It does not apply to other Microsoft sites, services and products.
Collection and use of your personal information

The personal information we collect from you will be used by Microsoft and its controlled subsidiaries and affiliates to provide the service(s) or carry out the transaction(s) you have requested or authorized, and may also be used to request additional information on feedback that you provide about the product or service that you are using; to provide important notifications regarding the software; to improve the product or service, for example bug and survey form inquiries; or to provide you with advance notice of events or to tell you about new product releases.

Except as described in this statement, personal information you provide will not be transferred to third parties without your consent. We occasionally hire other companies to provide limited services on our behalf, such as packaging, sending and delivering purchases and other mailings, answering customer questions about products or services, processing event registration, or performing statistical analysis of our services. We provide those companies the minimum personal information they need to deliver the service, and they are prohibited from using that information for any other purpose.

Microsoft may disclose personal information about you if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to: (a) comply with the law or legal process served on Microsoft; (b) protect and defend the rights of Microsoft (including enforcement of our agreements); or (c) act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of Microsoft employees, users of Microsoft software or services, or members of the public.

Personal information collected by Microsoft software, sites and services may be stored and processed in the United States or any other country in which Microsoft or its affiliates, subsidiaries or agents maintain facilities, and by using Microsoft software, sites or services, you consent to any such transfer of information outside of your country. Microsoft abides by the safe harbor framework as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of data from the European Union.
Collection and use of information about your computer

Internet enabled features will send information about your computer ("standard computer information") to the websites you visit and web services you use. This information is generally not personally identifiable. Standard computer information typically includes information such as your IP address, operating system version, browser version, your hardware ID which indicates the device manufacturer, device name, and version and your regional and language settings. If a particular feature, software or service sends information to Microsoft, standard computer information will be sent as well. The privacy details for each Windows feature and Microsoft software or service listed here will disclose what additional information is collected and how it is used.
Your choice and control

You can choose whether to use or disable features of Windows Vista that transfer personal information over the Internet. You also can decide what personal information you wish to provide. A variety of controls are also available for features that transfer other types of information over the Internet. To make Windows Vista work better with the Internet, some features that do not collect personal information are turned on by default. You can choose to disable these features. For details about the information collection, uses, and choice provided by a specific feature or related product or service, please click on the link provided in the list on the right.
Security of your information

Microsoft is committed to protecting the security of your information. We use a variety of security technologies and procedures to help protect your information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. For example, we store the information you provide on computer systems with limited access, which are located in controlled facilities. When we transmit highly confidential information (such as a credit card number or password) over the Internet, we protect it through the use of encryption, such as the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) protocol.
Changes to this privacy statement

We will occasionally update this privacy statement to reflect changes in our products and services and customer feedback. When we post changes to this Statement, we will revise the "last updated" date at the top of this statement. If there are material changes to this statement or in how Microsoft will use your personal information, we will notify you either by prominently posting a notice of such changes prior to implementing the change or by directly sending you a notification. We encourage you to periodically review this statement to be informed of how Microsoft is protecting your information.
For more information

Microsoft welcomes your comments regarding this privacy statement. If you have questions about this statement or believe that we have not adhered to it, please contact us by using our web form.

Microsoft Privacy
Microsoft Corporation
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, Washington 98052
Do some research before making false claims El Mooo
kumarmohit said:
Just wondering, the code of linux kernel becomes official when Linus Torvalds and his committee clears it, right!!!

Its impossible to go through it for everyone, right and moreover they will never do it because they have reputation @ stake.

Couldn't agree more :D

kumarmohit

Technomancer
@eddie

I am just saying that the no. of checks and balances like those exist @ Linux also exist at Microsoft and Apple, Then we also have ITsecurity companies like secunia who keep an eye on what softwares do and are ready to ring the alarm in case of trouble.

I am not refering to only Kernel sending info, I am refering to every single, app, server or daemon. Apps at least do run in user space so they can send info. If I run a modified version of Apache it can easily drop some info of site statistics to some one who modified the source code.

So this is as much possible with windows as is with linux and macOS if I have a copy which was acquired from a malicious source.

And the privacy policy of Microsoft in general is applicable to windows, unless there is a product/service specific policy like that of a website. Like the one above.

Anyway, I was not blaming/accusing Linus Torvalds or FOSS community (considering that I am related to ReactOS, FOSS product which will rival MS more directly than Linux) I am just trying to make people stop speculating and making ridiculous accusations. (Both of which are impossible in a free country)

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
blackpearl said:
@aryayush:
What's your problem dude? If you like mac, fine. Just use it. Why do you have to keep singing in praise? Nobody likes such people, you know that.

There are only 3-4 mac users here and the rest windows users and they like their OS too. Have you seen any Windows users doing what you are doing?
You haven't! :eek:

WOW! Congratulations man! Do you use some special keyboard and stuff? How do you manage to type all this! Cool!

Uh oh - watch you head, there is a wall... duck... ouch! That must've hurt.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
aryayush said:
You haven't!
no windows user brags about his OS they just point out to the fact that Windows is as good as any other OS out there ;) and when we point out certain 'shortcomings' (flaws & shortcomings are 2 different things) mac users join hands with the mods and OSS users try to pprove that windows users are worth less and then the mods lock the thread .... :cool:

eddie

El mooooo
Zeeshan Quireshi said:
Do some research before making false claims El Mooo
Do you know the meaning of the word "claims" or is it that lack of knowledge of English language has become a common problem with Windows users in this forum? Can you tell me which "claims" I made in my previous post...forget about them being false. Sheesh...

Also did you just post the privacy policy or did you read it as well? Here...this is an excerpt from the page you linked us to
The personal information we collect from you will be used by Microsoft and its controlled subsidiaries and affiliates to provide the service(s) or carry out the transaction(s) you have requested or authorized, and may also be used to request additional information on feedback that you provide about the product or service that you are using; to provide important notifications regarding the software; to improve the product or service, for example bug and survey form inquiries; or to provide you with advance notice of events or to tell you about new product releases.
Read and understand the meaning of that statement. It clearly suggests that Microsoft can collect your personal information and they can share it with their affiliates. Do you understand what that means? It means that they can share the collected info to companies who pay them and become their partners in providing some services. I can become an affiliate by paying them and get access to information collected from your Windows install. If you don't understand what that means then I pity you.

Oh and people who are about to say they don't belong to CIA or KGB...don't bother. You don't belong in a discussion that mentions the word "privacy" in it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
kumarmohit said:
I am just saying that the no. of checks and balances like those exist @ Linux also exist at Microsoft and Apple, Then we also have ITsecurity companies like secunia who keep an eye on what softwares do and are ready to ring the alarm in case of trouble.
When it comes to knowing about security and privacy issues...there is a huge difference between closed source and open source programs. In case of open source programs...the truth is out there for any one and everyone to see & audit. A good looking program with horrible coding standards cannot become popular in Open Source world and will be shunned in no time at all but in case of closed source programs the same is not true. People can give you something to run while you won't even know what you are running. As far as companies like Secunia is concerned...their resources also become limited when it comes to closed source applications. They can't reach every bit of code to analyse it...and auditing becomes that much more difficult. This is an undeniable fact and doesn't need anyone's approval stamp on it.
If I run a modified version of Apache it can easily drop some info of site statistics to some one who modified the source code.

So this is as much possible with windows as is with linux and macOS if I have a copy which was acquired from a malicious source.
That phrase is the key here..."malicious source". That is why security features like GPG keys and MD5sums have been included all over open source world so that if someone modifies your binary from the officially released one...you will be alerted. If someone modifies even a small part in the original source code then the resultant package (rpm, deb) will not have a matching MD5sum to what was released officially by the program developer...so that part of your skepticism is uncalled for.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
eddie read the statement again it oesnt say it automatically without ur knowledge takes info ... whenever u buy a MS product for tht matter even when i bought my ipod i was asked to fill a form (not implying anything against apple just giving example) now they also clearly state
Privacy Statement said:
you have requested or authorized, and may also be used to request additional information on feedback that you provide
now is that ur lack of knowledge of the english language and as u say seeesh ... most of this is based on info that u type in online forms ... ;) they dont come in ur pc and take info

eddie

El mooooo
iMav said:
eddie read the statement again it oesnt say it automatically without ur knowledge takes info ...
I really don't want to discuss anything with you but anyways...
This is the part that is vital in that policy
you have requested or authorized
You authorize them do get your info as soon as your accept the policy. They don't need express permissions from you on every step...you do it once...you've done it for all times. You show me a clause of "express permissions every time" and I will accept what you are saying.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Eddie

According to the Microsoft Privasy Policy, if you agree to send data to MS for making the user experience better or beta testing or periodically feedback given automatically by the software only then the data will be given to them.

You can simply say no & not install the OS. That again depends on the users choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom