Whts the life of a average cd writer???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sourabh

Laptoping
btw guys just wanted yo knw is there any particulat lifetime of a cd writer in terms of how many cds it can write or in time duration?? :?: :?: :lol:
i have screwed 2 cd writers till now
n the third liteon one is almost dead giving errors in burnt discs
y is it so??
i burn abt 6-8 cds everyday but sometimes even more than tht
averagely i burn abt 200cds in a month is this the reason y my cd writers get screwed up??
i have a 350W SMPS power supply (not sure whether this may b the reason for tht too :? )

Do the cd-writing softwares one uses have a efect on this??
also does less system resources while burnng cds have effect on cd-writers?

OP
Sourabh

Sourabh

Laptoping
whts the prob

y does my writer get scrwed up so early
is burning this much cds harmful for the writer coz this i feel this is s**t.
its like your pc wod get scrwed if u use it much or ur gfx card wod blow if u play more games

S

sunnydiv

yeh i dont think that can be it, or esle they would mention like they do with lcd, and plasma, this much hr , so and so

:p

dexter shead light

indro

In the zone
well i too had the same issues with my cd writer when i was to deep into the CD piracy business :p~ , the solution ? I used to change the cd drives twice a YR , and i always used to go for cheap cd writer's from LG or Samsung , cause buying liteon / HP didnt make any sense.Well nothing more into it , Really !

seetendra

Right off the assembly line
actually the average life of a cd writer depends on many factors.Which include the usage the power conditions the quality and handling.Most of us do not clean our writers.i dont mean cleaning it by opening the writer.i mean by using a cd lens cleanerWe should also meke sure that we do not overheat the write by writing too many cd too fast.Give the poor thing a break.

AlienTech

In the zone
Having used CD writers for a few decades, It lasts 1000-2500 writes. I still got a over 20 year old 1x scsi writer that worked the last time I checked. As you can imagine, that drive does not have 1000 writes on it :) My liteon 24x conked out and would not recognize disks after 3 years but I had almost 2000 writes on it. Some others with 500 or so writes lasted 2-3 years as well. So it depends.. Dirt would be the thing that seems to destroy the drive. Although a ricoh one I had would not write the last 20% of a disk after just like 100 disks but it still works other wise. So if you are lucky and careful 5 years should be it or 2000 cd's :) which ever comes first.

ps.. this is not in india.. I would cut the life of a drive by less than 1/2 here. Maybe 1/4 in many cases unless you get real good UPS/power supplies etc. My wife already burnt out 2 computers that I had used for years with no problems and never seen so many problems crop up with stuff. Think even with UPS and such, things are made so cheapely that spilkes and such get through no matter what you do.

djmykey

Let the music play.....
mmmm I got a lg writer which is alive with me for almost 4 3/4 years man thats a long time na. Yes thats because i bought it for 12,000 and its only 8x and yes i hardly use it i burn almost hardly 100 cds a month. Sourabh i dunno but still i think this maybe the solution my sir durin a lecture told me that maintaining a cdrom or rw means cleaning it with a cd rom lens cleaner everyday !! every 1 was puzzled to this statement of his but he was cool and sai what wud u do if u had to keep a glass surface clean, u wud wipe it every day right the same thing applies here. check that thing out and tell me if it helped and yes u burn lotsa cds so try to keep it low or keep some delay between 2 cds and also keep the drive door open after writing a cd for sometime this helps the heat to escape

SHell

Broken In
Well my friend was using a HP CD writer( Not available now)
he has burnt more than 700 CDs on it n the media he was
using was also not very good. His cd writer is still working
but prefer to use a good media(sony,samsung,moser bair etc)
to increase the life of ur cd writer.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
FWIW, I assembled a 1:7 CD copier 18 months ago for a local cable TV company and they write 50-100 CDs every single day - that's about 7-14 CDs per drive per day. I used Liteon 52x writers and not a single one has failed so far. The quality of blanks has a lot to do with how many tea coasters you produce.

rakee

Journeyman
hey mine is an LG cd writer 3 years old..might have written nearly 500 cds..still as good as a new drive

allajunaki

Journeyman
Many Factors
1. Quality of Media U use may not be good.
2. Lot of Dust in the surroundings
3. Bad Powersupply.
4. Are u friggin crazy or a Piracy master to burn 6-7 CD's Daily?
5. User too dumb(Not really a factor, Im just kidding :p )
6. Laser has a life, so since u r writing soo much , the laser's life span must be over..

Ok, Hope this answers ur query.... ;)

xenkatesh

Bewitched!
Yeah mainting cdwriter gives good result!
1.good power supply...
2.good cds..
3.good cleaning(cd lens cleaner)....
4.good mintanence....
Try this Dude!!!!..............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom